What part of history would you like to see made into a film?

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Tim McBride said:
I'd like to see:
Battle at Thermopylae - 480 B.C
30 Years war treatment
Dein Bein Phu
There is a French movie about Dien Bien Phu, made by a guy called Shonderfer, well known in France.

LaPalice.

Victor1234

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There is also "The Lost Command",it covers Dien Ben Phu for 30 minutes,the rest of the movie(an hour and a half)is about what happens after,and the new assignment in Algeria.

It follows around a group of French paratroopers from Dien Ben Phu to Algeria.

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Victor1234 said:
There is also "The Lost Command",it covers Dien Ben Phu for 30 minutes,the rest of the movie(an hour and a half)is about what happens after,and the new assignment in Algeria.

It follows around a group of French paratroopers from Dien Ben Phu to Algeria.
I don't know this one, is it an American or a French movie ?

LaPalice.

Victor1234

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I believe American....it is in English.

It also stars Anthony Quinn(as the commander,Colonel Raspeguy),Alain Delon(Capt. Esclavier),Claudia Cardinalle(Aichi),George Segal(Corporal Mahidi)

Victor1234

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It is one of the best war movies I've seen(and the only semi-modern one about the French,the others are only about Napoleon).It is one which made me want to be a French paratrooper :D

Reaction score
Alvis_Striker said:
A good Napoleonic film would be fantastic, if any of you yanks can get your hands on any of the Sharpe DVDs (taken from the books by Bernard Cornwell) then I do recomend them.
I just finished the entire 14 DVD Sharpe series, great stuff. It would be nice if the "prequal" books of Sharpe's time in India (and elsewhere, including Trafalgar) were made into movies. Sean Bean would be too old now, but maybe Colin Farrell?

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Mongol rampage through Asia and into Europe. The Mongols first united their area, then struck China, advanced into Central Asia. The first Europeans to feel the fury of their armies were the Russians, After making the various Russian principalities their tributaries, they advanced further into Europe, and into the Near and Middle East. It was said by several contemporaries that just the mention of the Mongfol name was enough to strike abject terror into most people's and armies.

jorge

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Mmmm...I would like a film portraiting Armour actions in the east front. There are many good films about infantry, airmen and naval power, but I can´t remember one from the point of view of a tank commander ( The Beast of War, but it is not a WW2 film ). Employing modern FX tech it could be GREAT to be inmersed in Kursk, o a similar pitched encounter. "Target, 2 o´clock. T34. load AP, Range 600... adquire and fire!".

horatio_nelson

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
jorge said:
Mmmm...I would like a film portraiting Armour actions in the east front. There are many good films about infantry, airmen and naval power, but I can´t remember one from the point of view of a tank commander ( The Beast of War, but it is not a WW2 film ). Employing modern FX tech it could be GREAT to be inmersed in Kursk, o a similar pitched encounter. "Target, 2 o´clock. T34. load AP, Range 600... adquire and fire!".
Yes, that would make an awesome film!!

jorge

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
MountainMan said:
Jutland, or the Japanese defeat of the Russian navy. something to bring alive the iron monsters of the true age of Battleships.
Yeah, Sir. Tsusima strait battle ,covering the long voyage of the russian fleet. There is a film about the subject, but i can´t remember it. It was an old one

Boonierat

Biệt Ðộng Quân
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
MountainMan said:
Jutland, or the Japanese defeat of the Russian navy. something to bring alive the iron monsters of the true age of Battleships.
Very unlikely I'm afraid, but maybe a revamped version of a movie like Midway with today's technology and CGI, that would rock :smoke:

jorge

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
thomas.tmcc said:
I would say a remake of the battle against the persians by the 300 spartans would be good .
Wasn´t Nicholas Cage involved in a film about Thermopilae and the 300 Spartans. Based on a good book, I read some months ago

Pergite

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
jorge said:
Wasn´t Nicholas Cage involved in a film about Thermopilae and the 300 Spartans. Based on a good book, I read some months ago
"Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield?
That would indeed make a good movie.

jorge

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Pergite said:
"Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield?
That would indeed make a good movie.
you are ok, and the writer is a Hollywood guionist. But many months have passed without more info about the proyect. Lit a candle and pray with me

Pergite

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The book almost felt like a movie when I read it. Not that stubborn focus on history but rahter a very dramatic and almost cinematic way of telling a story.
I hope that it turns out as something good, if it ever gets finnished...

Pergite

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
horatio_nelson said:
Don't you just love books like that!!:)
Well it depends. The tale of Leonidas and Thermopyle is just that, a tale. Therfore it should be as magnificent and colorful as possible. Then there is the books that are supposed to be realistic, either they describe history or a modern fictional incident, ala Tom Clancys best selling "techno"-thrillers. In those cases its just too annoying when poor research stings in my eyes, and blurrs the otherwise good storytelling.
Maybe its a bliss to be ignorant in some cases? ;)