What part of history would you like to see made into a film?

Victor1234

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As a sidenote,I think I've seen just about every (good)war movie there is to see.But,there are a few that no one has been showing lately,which I'd really like to see again.

The Enemy Above(it's about a U-Boat going down a South American river,attacking a village,with Steve McQueen flying a seaplane trying to blow it up)

The Great Escape(it's about the Great Escape,'nuf said)

Jackie Chan's Operation Condor(it's the one where he goes in search of gold hidden in WW2,in Africa by the Germans,while not a real war movie,I still want to see it)

Rat Patrol(a TV series,about the Long-Range Desert Group,those commando guys on jeeps who interdicted the German supply lines in Africa during the campaign there)

Sharpe(another TV series,about an English soldier during the Napoleonic wars)

Das Boot(following a German U-Boat around in WW2,U-571 did a semi-good job to compete with it,but Das Boot is the ultimate U-Boat movie)

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like to see a good, modern WWI movie starting in its opening moments with the Battle of Dogger Bank, taking you through the aftermath back in London, and the grand finale would be the followup: Jutland. The main personalities would be highlighted and their characters brought out with utmost bravado, because it was folks like Jackie Fisher, Hipper, Scheer, Beatty, Jellicoe, Wilhelm II, and Churchill that really stand out during this historic period of conflict.

Gorobei

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to see a mini series about the desert conflict pre-Monty era with Auk and the Italians would be cool. I suppose BBC has already create something like that, huh?

GROGnads_USA

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correction!

Victor1234 said:
The Enemy Above(it's about a U-Boat going down a South American river,attacking a village,with Steve McQueen flying a seaplane trying to blow it up)
I believe you are speaking of Peter O'Toole and it IS a "Great" one! "Shout at the Devil" is also another 'one' while it's supposed to take place in 'East Africa' prior to WW-1! I'd really like to see a decent Movie depiction of the Germans in WW-1 defending their 'East African Empire' and I'll even throw in the title for FREE! "Schutzetruppen!"(sp?) Now, if they can ONLY get a good screenplay written up for THAT! There would even be a "Zeppelin" resupply attempt in this, and they could even 'throw in' the "Refugi" River hide-out of a German Light Cruiser too!

Victor1234

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ah,thanks for correcting me.As I said,I haven't seen it in a long time(didn't really remember who played the pilot,just that some pilot took off in a floatplane and tried to stop the U-Boat.I automatically assumed it was Steve McQueen :D )

On a sidenote,isn't Grognard the correct spelling?

Lt. Dan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Victor1234 said:
Das Boot(following a German U-Boat around in WW2,U-571 did a semi-good job to compete with it,but Das Boot is the ultimate U-Boat movie)

U-571 doesn't even come close to the spectacular movie that was Das Boot. It would be an insult to say that U-571 is even near the realm of Das Boot. U-571 was simply a horrible movie.

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
conan

Lt. Dan said:
I remember seeing a french movie made around 1998 about World War One. It was good, but I'd like to see a World War One movie made in Hollywood with a Hollywood budget and a Hollywood cast. Not a superficial PG-13 action blockbuster, but a serious, raw, and gritty kind of movie like Platoon or Thin Red Line. If Stanley Kubrick was still around, I'd have him direct it.
you probably refer to "capitaine Conan" a VERY good movie...

piero1971

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Gorobei said:
I'd like to see a mini series about the desert conflict pre-Monty era with Auk and the Italians would be cool. I suppose BBC has already create something like that, huh?

a low budget recent italian movie "El Alamein" gives a good view of the italian perspective on the war in the Desert...

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lt. Dan said:
U-571 doesn't even come close to the spectacular movie that was Das Boot. It would be an insult to say that U-571 is even near the realm of Das Boot. U-571 was simply a horrible movie.
The maker of U-571 was interviewed around the time the movie came out and he said he had never seen "Das Boot".

Talk about bad professional attitide.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Redwolf said:
The maker of U-571 was interviewed around the time the movie came out and he said he had never seen "Das Boot".

Not so sure about that. I saw just a few minutes of U 571 on TV and it was when the U Boat was under attack, thought it was Das Boot for a minute till it showed dead German sailors then swithched to a Stateside scene. Looked to me liked the Director had viewed Das Boot beforehand.

autir

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
I would like to see the battle of Cunaxa (401 b.C. ). Cyrus the Younger + The Ten Thousand vs. Artaxerxes II emperor of Persia. And the Greeks' journey afterwards to return back home.

airBiscuit

Assistant CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After visiting some of the museums in Athens last year, I thought to myself what would make an excellent movie portrayal would be the moments leading up to and including the Greek battle of independence from the Ottomans from 1824-1828. It seemed that there were some very interesting personalities that showed great courage to rise up against their oppressors. And their war costumes and filligreed weapons are truly a unique sight! Britain, France, and I think even the US assisted the Greeks with warships. I'm going to have to pull up a book on this to truly appreciate what went on, but I think it would make for an epic film.

Belisama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great ideas! A good World War I movie made with modern special effects and the massive budget would be awesome; maybe a remake of All Quiet on the Western Front.

Tim's idea for the Siege of Alesia would be fantastic as well. In addition, I'd like to see the Siege of Jerusalem and something about the Punic Wars.

Finally, something about The Chaco would be great. I'm sure Bolivia and/or Paraguay have made something, but I don't know Spanish, and I can't imagine that they would be subtitled. :D

em

autir

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
airBiscuit said:
Britain, France, and I think even the US assisted the Greeks with warships.
Not the US. Just the Three Powers - Britain, France, Russia. And it was an accident. A fleet sent to "grit its teeth to the Sultan a little bit" but not engage in action ended up accidentally starting the Navarino sea battle, pretty much destroying a big portion of the Sultan's Mediterranean fleet.
Heh.

Anyway, plenty of these movies exist (in '60s - '70s Greek cinema scene) but none is historically accurate. Perhaps because nor our own school books are.

Pheno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Redwolf said:

lmao that just about says it all about his qualities as a film maker.

Pheno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Headshot said:
gimme a good stalingrad movie and ill give you an oscar or seven, it really is that simple.
Have you seen "Stalingrad"? It was a while ago but I seem to remember it was extremely good. Actually reading all this talk about it I've been inspired to watch it again ASAP!

GROGnads_USA

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, 'Grognard' is the correct spelling for everyone that considers themselves 'one', but GROGnads is the 'name' that I've chosen, to stand apart from ALL of 'them', although I'd consider myself to be 'one' of 'them' as well! Not too many people are willing to submit themselves to my 'appellation', mainly because they're NOT imaginative enough! I've seen 'Grognard_123' or whatever, for others, and I felt that I'd be able to be easily distinguishable from the likes of those.

Victor1234 said:
Ah,thanks for correcting me.As I said,I haven't seen it in a long time(didn't really remember who played the pilot,just that some pilot took off in a floatplane and tried to stop the U-Boat.I automatically assumed it was Steve McQueen :D )

On a sidenote,isn't Grognard the correct spelling?

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
WW1 for me to.

Also Stalingrad the german film is very good. Just dont watch the dubbed version with its terrible MANGA style dubbing.

Stevedeth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been trying to follow the status of Flags of our Fathers. I was at a book signing the day that Bradly, the author said he just signed a deal with speilberg to make it. I wrote Bradly last year and he said it was on track for 05 but I have not seen anything yet.

Any movie site surfers have any clues.

Steve D

HOB