What boardgames have you played recently?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have you played the B-52 scenarios yet? As I recall, the first is fun for the DRV, the second not so much. Interesting to compare the tactics change between the two. If you want a good book to read on the subject, The Eleven Days of Christmas by Marshall Michel is excellent, although it'll get your blood boiling.
I've always preferred "Clashes: Air War over North Vietnam, The MiG Killers, and Thud Ridge and On Yankee Station, myself - alougth all but the first show their eage.

Tell Lee howdy again (and the author hopes he enjoyed the read) - I appreciate both the game and the considerable efforts you two went through to help me with it to begin with , along with Tony's more than generous gesture. ;)
Hiya Al - and no we haven't made the BUFFs yet, we're taking it the long road via chronological order after / since Jackson finished his OJT with the learning scenarios first, so the big boys will be arriving as the game clock approaches 1972. :)

KRL, Jon H

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Jon,

I'll tell Lee you said hello. I've read those three myself and enjoyed each one. I'm sure you've read One Day in a Long War by Jeff Ethell and Alfred Price but if Jackson hasn't read it, I think he'd enjoy it very much. Enjoy your games. Fond memories of time well spent.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have you played the B-52 scenarios yet? As I recall, the first is fun for the DRV, the second not so much. Interesting to compare the tactics change between the two. If you want a good book to read on the subject, The Eleven Days of Christmas by Marshall Michel is excellent, although it'll get your blood boiling.
I just checked it out on Amazon .. I can see what you mean.

Hi Jon,

I'll tell Lee you said hello. I've read those three myself and enjoyed each one. I'm sure you've read One Day in a Long War by Jeff Ethell and Alfred Price but if Jackson hasn't read it, I think he'd enjoy it very much. Enjoy your games. Fond memories of time well spent.
Excellent ... both of these books are available from the university library!! (I got "Clashes" ..) Thanks Al!!!

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

We are up to July 1915 in our Saturday group's game of Guns of August. Great fun playing this game with a group!!
My Central Power partner (Germany) and I have made the play to knock out Russia from the war. We put up a solid line in the west and concentrated our forces in the east. France actually invaded Belgium and Holland like the war criminals they are!! I put four Austro-Hungarian corps on the Serbian border. We have hammered Russian, but her army keeps re-building, we have gained some ground and I think we can deal a nasty blow in the next several turns? We instituted full sub warfare to hit the British and the Allied naval blockage has failed for 1915. (Needed a dr of 1)

Italy has come into the war, drawing some of our troops to defend this front, this should not be a huge problem?? Italy is somewhat large, but its offensive punch is weak.

Rumania and Bulgaria next to the party!! Need the Turks/Bulgarians to put Rumania out ASAP!!

More to come

Thanks
Joe

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Not yet played and when I will is another matter entirely, but I received a few non-ASL games alongside a small backlog of ASL items.

GMT's Arquebus
GMT's GBoH Simple GBoH 2nd Edition
AP's Panzer Grenadier: Korean War - Counter Attack
AP's PG Spearhead Division

Being most of the way through a marathon move of 30+ years of stuff from an 9 year old, falling apart laptop to a new one, I was quite exhausted, so I only had the most cursory look, just enough to see that everything arrived undamaged and complete.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our First MN gaming group had two games of Here I Stand going today in honor of the 500-year anniversary (Oct. 31, 1517) of the Reformation. This six-player fiasco is such a great game. I had not played in over a year, and actually was making some hay as the French, but soon found several knives in my back bringing me back to reality before we called the game. A great gaming experience and highly recommended for a full day of gaming.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our First MN gaming group had two games of Here I Stand going today in honor of the 500-year anniversary (Oct. 31, 1517) of the Reformation. This six-player fiasco is such a great game. I had not played in over a year, and actually was making some hay as the French, but soon found several knives in my back bringing me back to reality before we called the game. A great gaming experience and highly recommended for a full day of gaming.
I think Virgin Queen is distinctly better than Here I Sit. The refinements to the system are essential, IMHO...
Steve

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I recently bought Decision Games World at War magazine Commandos:Europe. The game is a solo player simulation of raiding, the objective is to accomplish missions whilst avoiding combat with the A.I.

It's not bad, as usual, the rules have a few gaps in them, but they're workable.

There's 24 missions needed to be accomplished (or forfeited) out of a random pool of 60+ missions, over 4 mini (generic) maps representing Norway, Nth Africa, Normandy & European countryside.

It plays as a campaign and you only have 4 sections of commandos to last all the missions, if they all get killed, you lose the campaign.

It's all quite abstracted (including combat), but a good challenge. I've lost the first tilt to the A.I., so I'll go back and try again after learning a few hard lessons. An enjoyable linked small unit solo game.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Virgin Queen is distinctly better than Here I Sit. The refinements to the system are essential, IMHO...
Steve
Steve, I heartily agree VQ has some pluses over HIS. I thoroughly love VQ. However, the HIS theme is so compelling, but the biggest downside is the potential for downtime. This is dependent in many instances on the experience (speed) of the players

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Steve, I heartily agree VQ has some pluses over HIS. I thoroughly love VQ. However, the HIS theme is so compelling, but the biggest downside is the potential for downtime. This is dependent in many instances on the experience (speed) of the players
I would much rather play these games online since that eliminates the downtime issue...
Steve

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

After our Guns of August game we plan to play Risk. Something "lite" and easy. I have
not played Risk in years and I am looking forward to it. More as we get closer to playing.

Regards
Joe

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the table recently, wrangling some cattle along the Great Western Trail. Hanging out with the Medicis in Lorenzo Il Magnifico. Sailing the world with the Navegador. Farming and exploring with some dwarves in Caverna and trying to keep the peasants satisfied in Trajan. All really excellent multiplayer games!

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Academy Games 878 Vikings
Ares Games Battle of Five Armies
Ares Games War of the Ring

Love 'em!

Tom

Tom
You and Vic had a blast playing Vikings at the last Bunker meeting!
I want a game when you come back next year!!

Talk soon,
Joe

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike and I have started a game of Dien Bien Phu: The Final Gamble. We have played 5 turns. A very interesting situation and a very unique take on this incredible battle between the Vietminh and the French.

Check it out at my blog https://cardboardwarrior.blog/

Thanks for reading.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
GMT Silver Bayonet, 25th Anniversary Edition. Top notch components, interesting and unusual combat system. Played 1 7 turn scenario and 1 2 turn scenario, covering the assault of the SF camp at Duc Co, and the ambush at LZ Albany. A game we will return to, although I suspect that the meat of the system is in the CG where hidden forces and helicopters will come into play and highlight the nature and challenges faced during the battles more accurately.

A keeper.

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I did take the plunge on La Bataille d'Auerstaedt from Marshal Enterprise and La Bataille de Ligny from Clash of Arms - they are beautiful games, indeed! I've been doing quite a bit of reading on late Napoleonic campaigns (1812-1814) and will tackle the La Bataille rules after ASL has set a bit more firmly in my brain (which is likely to be a while yet).
Price is clearly a factor. The GDW version uses NATO symbols for the units (drab, boring, uninspiring), but was until the release of the CoA the only one that most could afford to buy.
The CoA version is simply magnificent in terms of quality. The counters are in a class of their own and bring to the paper map a sense of the colour and pageantry of the Napoleonic era. I still need to dip my toe into the la batt series, but have over the years acquired all modules in the series (I was a keen Napoleonic minis player in my youth...). The game is not simple, that much is clear from reading the rules, but I believe portrays Napoleonic warfare to the level of detail that I seek. Plan to go for it in 2018 :)

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We played one of the B52 scenarios many years ago, using the F111's to barrel at low level using their TFR under the NV radar to take out the NV airfields (this was so effective that we agreed to allow 1 airfield to remain unscathed for the sake of playability). Very counter heavy in terms of congestion. VASSAL would help. We also forgot that MiG 21's bug out when their missiles are depleted (cost me a B52....)

Playing the scenario is still a fond memory after all these years