What boardgames have you played recently?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lock'N'Loaded's Dawns Early Light, very simple and fun to play, no brain drain, fast and calming.
next up Eisenbach Gap and the World at War series, followed by Nations at war.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lock'N'Loaded's Dawns Early Light, very simple and fun to play, no brain drain, fast and calming.
next up Eisenbach Gap and the World at War series, followed by Nations at war.
You need to stop playing all that crap and come back over to the dark side aka ASL!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
While I did not go for either L'n'L's NaW or L'n'L series, I did go for their WaW series and DEL. Great games and good for when your brain hurts after ASL.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Been playing Lords of Waterdeep (PC version) the last few days.

It came on sale and looked interesting, so I checked out the original board game, and found:
http://geekandsundry.com/tabletop-extended-lords-of-waterdeep/
Wil's a funny guy!
I thought I'd try it out to see if the board game would be worth buying.

Looks like fun for the family, who share an interest, so it will be coming along for Christmas.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
While I did not go for either L'n'L's NaW or L'n'L series, I did go for their WaW series and DEL. Great games and good for when your brain hurts after ASL.
Good call Paul,

I have acquired the WaW rules and scenario (do not ask) and am teaching (not that there is a massive amount to learn) the system, I am looking to buy into the system as well, I find my war games collection expanding these days in a rather varied way (Great Battles of Alexander & SPQR, Dawns Early light & the WaW series, Downtown & Elusive Victory, Tobruk,OCS/TCS/SCS sytems) so I am a happy bunny except the cost of getting hold of some of these games.

Am tempted to get in to the re-release of the NaW series, looks like there are some nice titles, the Kursk one looks interesting to say the least.

all the best mate

Perry

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone here have experience with Clash of Arms La Bataille Moscowa? I'm getting close to finishing Tolstoy's "War and Peace" and thinking of dipping my toes into the La Bataille waters with this game. One can save a lot of money by starting with a used copy of either the first or second edition, so I'm wondering if anyone here has an opinion on whether this is not a great idea (i.e., what does the third edition add to previous editions).

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Attention GMT 'Downtown ' players...

Have any of you played GMT's 'Elusive Victory, air war over the Suez Canal 1967-73'?
I have read that this game is a sequel to the Downtown game, and since the former is apparently no longer available, I have been considering purchasing this game.

I would be interested in hearing your opinions.
Thanks for reading!

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone here have experience with Clash of Arms La Bataille Moscowa? I'm getting close to finishing Tolstoy's "War and Peace" and thinking of dipping my toes into the La Bataille waters with this game. One can save a lot of money by starting with a used copy of either the first or second edition, so I'm wondering if anyone here has an opinion on whether this is not a great idea (i.e., what does the third edition add to previous editions).
I remember them from the old days and Marshal Enterprises. Never played them but at the time they were remarkable for their graphic presentation.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember them from the old days and Marshal Enterprises. Never played them but at the time they were remarkable for their graphic presentation.
I did take the plunge on La Bataille d'Auerstaedt from Marshal Enterprise and La Bataille de Ligny from Clash of Arms - they are beautiful games, indeed! I've been doing quite a bit of reading on late Napoleonic campaigns (1812-1814) and will tackle the La Bataille rules after ASL has set a bit more firmly in my brain (which is likely to be a while yet).

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Attention GMT 'Downtown ' players...

Have any of you played GMT's 'Elusive Victory, air war over the Suez Canal 1967-73'?
I have read that this game is a sequel to the Downtown game, and since the former is apparently no longer available, I have been considering purchasing this game.

I would be interested in hearing your opinions.
Thanks for reading!
Yes.

It plays in much the same manner as Downtown, and is almost a carbon copy of the detail and function of the rules themselves.

Major differences are both sides can plan air strikes and air defenses at the same time ( actually they must, or lose). Also, the combat effect rules were streamlined to illustrate the major differences in dissimilar air combat training from Israeli pilots over their foes in the 6 day and 1972 wars.

It is well worth getting while available, before it too goes out of print. It is unlikely either will ever see a reprint.

PS if you do get it , lmk, if you are interested in PBEM, we could get a game going :)

KRL, Jon H

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Playing my way through 2nd Fleet (Victory games) - hopefully by the time we're up to the final and biggest scenario was can play it FTF.

Until then VASSAL and skype rock.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My father and I played this c25 years ago - the GDW (green box?) copy. Thought it was a very good game, tough for the Russkies. Rules were a bit clonky. However, you can download 'reglement marie louise' rules from COA/Boardgame geek - 2 sets avalilable i believe - fast play version an 'grognard'. Believe they are compatible with all games in series new and old. Inexpensive way to bring an old game upto date.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Good call Paul,

I have acquired the WaW rules and scenario (do not ask) and am teaching (not that there is a massive amount to learn) the system, I am looking to buy into the system as well, I find my war games collection expanding these days in a rather varied way (Great Battles of Alexander & SPQR, Dawns Early light & the WaW series, Downtown & Elusive Victory, Tobruk,OCS/TCS/SCS sytems) so I am a happy bunny except the cost of getting hold of some of these games.

Am tempted to get in to the re-release of the NaW series, looks like there are some nice titles, the Kursk one looks interesting to say the least.

all the best mate

Perry
Have all the first edition SPQR games and add-ons and GBOA - nice system - played it to death using my 15mm Ancients - them progresses onto DBMM miniature rules.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jackson, if you haven’t done so, please post this link on BGG and/or Consimworld. I think Lee would really enjoy this read. Great job!

Al

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool. Lee appreciated the link I sent him.

Downtown is a great game. Played it a bunch through playtest and initial release. Haven't touched it in many years however.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Cool. Lee appreciated the link I sent him.

Downtown is a great game. Played it a bunch through playtest and initial release. Haven't touched it in many years however.
It's a terrific game. Very elegant in its design as well (so - good job!). Like ASL, it's at its best when played with an opponent and I am lucky enough to have one.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a terrific game. Very elegant in its design as well (so - good job!). Like ASL, it's at its best when played with an opponent and I am lucky enough to have one.
Have you played the B-52 scenarios yet? As I recall, the first is fun for the DRV, the second not so much. Interesting to compare the tactics change between the two. If you want a good book to read on the subject, The Eleven Days of Christmas by Marshall Michel is excellent, although it'll get your blood boiling.