What next?

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've to stop sometime and figure this thing out: Spike Jones.

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well certainly this is not the place to ask questions about the rules of Stonne Heights. I concur with Don 2. Let Don 1 ask questions there. Ray himself or the designer of the particular game will answer your questions in a friendly manner according to Don 2. Good riddance. Tim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Tim,

It has been months during which we patiently have tried to answer your questions asked in a very approximative and uninformed way.
We have repeatedly suggested that you refer to the rules and try to have a rulebook handy.
I even offered to purchase one for you

Now, you state that the rulebook is in your attic - previously you said that only "Don" owned a rulebook : it is nice to learn that you actually have one !
So you have some access to it.
I cannot see any serious reason you cannot go up into the attic and retrieve the book - or, if you have mobility problems, ask someone fetch it for you.
The problem has been there from day one and I don't really see what excuse prevents you from getting those rules.
Are you conscious that by not doing that "minimal effort", you are mobilizing peoples' time and energy, first to try to understand what you are actually speaking of and, second, to try to answer your questions ?
All your friends you refer to seem to be too lazy or too afraid (from what you explained some posts above) to come over here and directly interact with us.
They seem a bunch of quite weird persons.
I already expressed my astonishment that you were their messenger here. Even putting aside the weirdness of that type of process, I draw your attention to the heaviness of a non direct communication, with all the misunderstandings and lags in the interactions - as we play a wargame, we are conscious that commnunication is one of the essential "C"s of the 3Ci rule of operational activity (I would even state that the "Command" part is deficient, as your questions lack precision).

At this point of our interactions, I don't even know if you have grasped the basics of ASL.
You speak of purchasing a sophisticated module on Manilla, but you don't seem to even know about Red Barricades - not speaking of Red Factories...

I would suggest that you tried to play with other people in addition to your strange pals (the obsession with the B1-bis so called armour deficiency "myth" is among one of many weird aspects of their psychology) : why not look for an opponent on VASL ?
As you are posting here, you have access to Internet, and I think that playing some good "meat and potatoes" scenarios would help you clarify some of the numerous approximate ideas you have about the system.

I can understand that some players are in a very isolated situation, away from the main places where ASL events occur.
That can generate some ignorance of what is happening in the present situation of the hobby.
But this is clearly not your case, as you are aware of the existence of the Manilla HASL which is on preorder.

To be clear, I checked you IP and you are posting (barring a VPN connection) from the USA - East Coast.
So you don't seem to be a fake account.
But it seems as if your are playing with us, and frankly your "friends" seem to be some invented backstage decorum.
Up to now nobody insulted you.
Some have made jokes, but none has been offending.
Calling you "Timmy" and evoking numbered friends as you do is certainly a trait of humour but it also is a way to see what is real or fake about you.

Tim, I am not trying to be offensive - and I apologize if I do seem so. But I do find that there could be a much better way to interact with you.
Do you think that you can do something which would make our dialogs improve?

Regards

Robin

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Tim,

It has been months during which we patiently have tried to answer your questions asked in a very approximative and uninformed way.
We have repeatedly suggested that you refer to the rules and try to have a rulebook handy.
I even offered to purchase one for you

Now, you state that the rulebook is in your attic - previously you said that only "Don" owned a rulebook : it is nice to learn that you actually have one !
So you have some access to it.
I cannot see any serious reason you cannot go up into the attic and retrieve the book - or, if you have mobility problems, ask someone fetch it for you.
The problem has been there from day one and I don't really see what excuse prevents you from getting those rules.
Are you conscious that by not doing that "minimal effort", you are mobilizing peoples' time and energy, first to try to understand what you are actually speaking of and, second, to try to answer your questions ?
All your friends your refer to seem to be too lazy or too afraid (from what you explained some posts above) to come over here and directly interact with us.
They seem a bunch of quite weird persons.
I already expressed my astonishment that you were their messenger here. Even putting aside the weirdness of that type of process, I draw you attention to the heaviness of a non direct communication, with all the misunderstandings and lags in the interactions - as we play a wargame, we are conscious that commnunication is one of the essential "C"s of the 3Ci rule of operational activity (I would even state that the "Command" part is deficient, as your questions lack precision).

At this point of our interactions, I don't even know if you have grasped the basics of ASL.
You speak of purchasing a sophisticated module on Manilla, but you don't seem to even know about Red Barricades - not speaking of Red Factories...

I would suggest that you tried to play with other people in addition to your strange pals (the obsession with the B1-bis so called armour deficiency "myth" is among one of many weird aspects of their psychology) : why not look for an opponent on VASL ?
As you are posting here, you have access to Internet, and I think that playing some good "meat and potatoes" scenarios would help you clarify some of the numerous approximate ideas you have about the system.

I can understand that some players are in a very isolated situation, away from the main places where ASL events occur.
That can generate some ignorance of what is happening in the present situation of the hobby.
But this is clearly not your case, as you are aware of the existence of the Manilla HASL which is on preorder.

To be clear, I checked you IP and you are posting (barring a VPN connection) from the USA - East Coast.
So you don't seem to be a fake account.
But it seems as if your are playing with us, and frankly your "friends" seem to be some invented backstage decorum.
Up to now nobody insulted you.
Some have made jokes, but none has been offending.
Calling you "Timmy" and evoking numbered friends as you do is certainly a trait of humour but it also is a way to see what is real or fake about you.

Tim, I am not trying to be offensive - and I apologize if I do seem so. But I do find that there could be a much better way to interact with you.
Do you think that you can do something which would make our dialogs improve?

Regards

Robin
My respect for this address. Most mods would not make such an effort.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I have expressed myself as a forum member first, as nothing could lead me as mod to sanction Tim.
But he may alienate himself from us if he keeps with his strange ways...

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes the oddness of wargamers. Don1 has refused the romantic advances of at least two wives because of the fact that wargamers are so scare in my intellectually deprived area of the nation. One final question before the game in July. Does the French vehicle and ordnance notes alone justify the cost of the new French module? How significant are the differences between the editions? Having the extra counters also might be nice in order to play Stonne Heights, but I suspect that I have enough French counters to play the module. I think that I bought two of the original French editions. And unlike the original Italian module I have not played the counters to death. Tim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Ok, Tim.
There is no real possibility of interacting rationally with you it seems.
I will end communicating with you until you move out of your strange soliloquy to engage in a real dialogue.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, Tim.
There is no real possibility of interacting rationally with you it seems.
I will end communicating with you until you move out of your strange soliloquy to engage in a real dialogue.
Robin,
Your level of patience displayed in your responses to this thread are admirable. Good qualities in a moderator IMO.

What started out as a potentially interesting topic for a thread has devolved in to something which I am at a loss to describe, yet I find it to be oddly entertaining. Much of this content reminds me of some of the posts from the 'Pacific CGs Without USMC' thread from back in February 2019 (i.e., the China Marine, Steve McQueen/gunboat sailor, Medal of Honor theory, check out pages 4 and 5 of that thread, it's priceless).

At any rate, keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Robin,
Your level of patience displayed in your responses to this thread are admirable. Good qualities in a moderator IMO.

What started out as a potentially interesting topic for a thread has devolved in to something which I am at a loss to describe, yet I find it to be oddly entertaining. Much of this content reminds me of some of the posts from the 'Pacific CGs Without USMC' thread from back in February 2019 (i.e., the China Marine, Steve McQueen/gunboat sailor, Medal of Honor theory, in page 5 or thereabout).

At any rate, keep up the good work.
Checked out the Without USMC CG thread. Nice recall.

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The attempt by Don 1 to seek help on the Critical Hit website has had mixed results. A search for Stonne on their website yields two game, one of which is ASL and the other the Toburk system. There is no way to distinguish the two results. Don 2 has completed his armor modifications for the new North African version of the latter game. Not sure when Critical Hit is going to publish the new version of that game. There has been almost no questions or reactions to the new edition of "Stonne 2016," which has been substantially modified. The Germans have a much better chances in the new version, apparently. I wish that we had stuck with the Lone Canuck game about the Prussian fortress in 1945. Tim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
With those different Dons around, I am at a loss.
Can someone explain me the Don key?

TimNiesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are two Don's. One and two. The first is a medical practitioner. He is the one who had been very confused by the Critical Hit website. Don 2 revealed the key: there are two Stonne games discussed there! The second Don is the US Army's teacher at their ART school in New Jersey. Dr. Norman Friedman just wrote the introduction to second edition of his definitive book on ballistics. The latter has extensively revised the armor for the new version of the Avalon Hill game Toburk. He has recently completed the North African version. Tim

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are two Don's. One and two. The first is a medical practitioner. He is the one who had been very confused by the Critical Hit website. Don 2 revealed the key: there are two Stonne games discussed there! The second Don is the US Army's teacher at their ART school in New Jersey. Dr. Norman Friedman just wrote the introduction to second edition of his definitive book on ballistics. The latter has extensively revised the armor for the new version of the Avalon Hill game Toburk. He has recently completed the North African version. Tim
Could you please switch them around and rename Don2 to Don1. Who is older?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
As he wrote a book on ballistics, Don2 has his name displayed in public : can you give it to us?
Keeping him anonymous makes no sense, IMO.