What next?

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Onslaught to Orsha. Looks very interesting. I am interested. How long is the campaign game? Are there night scenarios? Steve loves Eastern Front scenarios. Almost insanely. To get him to stand up to the posssive spouse we need something to tempt him. Stiffen his backbone. I was very proud of him the last time, he not only stood up to his wife but also the crazy mother in law. Both of them had declared no more wargames. Tim
IIRC, four days. Lots of fun, and well worth it. It's the only campaign game I've ever won (German), and that was because my opponent ran out of troops. We played three days.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shield of Cholm looks extremely well done, but Pittman's review of it indicates that Red Barricades rules are needed, which none of us own.
I had a chance to peak at the Desperation Morale review of Konigsberg. It indicates that it uses the rules from Red Barricades, Valor of the Guards, and Festung Budapest.

Like I said, I would expect most TPP HASLs (with the possible exception of CH, which as developed its own system) require the players to have a copy of Red Barricades, whether specified in DMs reviews or not.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can lead a gamer to Stalingrad but you can't make him drink from the Volga. I'll stop pimping RB on your thread though I encourage others to put in a good word for it.
My problem is that when I play the Germans I can't even reach the Volga!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I had a chance to peak at the Desperation Morale review of Konigsberg. It indicates that it uses the rules from Red Barricades, Valor of the Guards, and Festung Budapest.

Like I said, I would expect most TPP HASLs (with the possible exception of CH, which as developed its own system) require the players to have a copy of Red Barricades, whether specified in DMs reviews or not.

Excellent point! These dudes really need to get Red Barricades. Is there a bias against some of the older modules by newer players? Tim seems very reluctant to consider RB.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excellent point! These dudes really need to get Red Barricades. Is there a bias against some of the older modules by newer players? Tim seems very reluctant to consider RB.
He does indicate he is has limited funds. Still, I like the idea of just finding monster scenarios, if that is the issue.

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada

My old friend and opponent Steve suggested that we play Red Barricades, but we need something smaller before playing the Manila campaign game. We want the preliminary game to last only three to five months. The Konisberg module looks very interesting. Neat mapboard. New German late war units, etc. Also at least one new type of Soviet 628 with PF and smoke. Anyone with feedback about this game. We really liked the early 1943 Romanian/German versus Soviet Marines game from Lone Canuck was excellent and we played the campaign game twice. Don suggested that we play it a third time, but I want something new. Watchtower...as a lead into Manila...would be an option if I owned a copy. But prices on that out of stock game are quite high. Tim
When we were playtest Konisberg's CG it took almost a year to complete playing one night a week. Lots changed in the publist version but I think you may want to try something else if you want to finish in 3 months.
Dave

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
He does indicate he is has limited funds. Still, I like the idea of just finding monster scenarios, if that is the issue.
Yes, utilize what you have and look for ways to get more out of it.

How expensive is RB?

When it came out what was the cost?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
When we were playtest Konisberg's CG it took almost a year to complete playing one night a week. Lots changed in the publist version but I think you may want to try something else if you want to finish in 3 months.
Dave
Nice input. 🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Trying not to hijack the thread as a RB promotion. Not easy with something that generates such enthusiasm.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
He does indicate he is has limited funds.
Not that limited, he's thinking about purchasing products from LCP, BFP and LFT, none of which are particularly cheap. Any BFP product in particular will require a mortgage re-finance, since you can't play any of them without buying all of them.

Since he refuses to even discuss RB as an option, he clearly has some other bias he doesn't want to share. That's OK, it's allowed, but it makes it hard to take his request for assistance very seriously.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Konigsberg is a great CG. Played it solo in about 3 weeks and was epic.
A smaller set of CG's is original Platoon Leader 1.0,by Steven Swann and published by Critical Hit in 1995. About 5 or 6 small CG's which can be done in a short time. Add in Patrol rules from PL 2.5 rules and is more fun.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I reluctant to purchase Red Barricades plus another expensive game, although Konisberg seems reasonable. I do have the Hungarian historical module, but it seems even larger than Red Barricades. Would the rules to this game allow us to play Konisberg? Tim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I reluctant to purchase Red Barricades plus another expensive game, although Konisberg seems reasonable. I do have the Hungarian historical module, but it seems even larger than Red Barricades. Would the rules to this game allow us to play Konisberg? Tim
Really trying not to turn your thread into an infomercial for Red Barricades but could you expand upon you reluctance to purchase Red Barricades?

If I still had my kit I think I would ship it to you as a loan just to give you a taste of this remarkable module. Unfortunately all I have are a couple mapsheets and Fish's RB rules which I am reluctant to part with.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to play with.

You should check out the King of the Monster Scenarios thread just to see the RB/RF combination scenario. It's beyond impressive!🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Really trying not to turn your thread into an infomercial for Red Barricades but could you expand upon you reluctance to purchase Red Barricades?

If I still had my kit I think I would ship it to you as a loan just to give you a taste of this remarkable module. Unfortunately all I have are a couple mapsheets and Fish's RB rules which I am reluctant to part with.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to play with.

You should check out the King of the Monster Scenarios thread just to see the RB/RF combination scenario. It's beyond impressive!🤗
Captain Bacchus says I am starting to become a pain in the stern. Sorry. 😔

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Okay this is my last pitch for why you should purchase Red Barricades and it's from Fish, otherwise known as The Grofaz.

At the twenty fifth ASLOk we were interviewed by the 2 Half Squads for their podcast. Its episode 47, Fish and Action. At about the 1 hour and 19 minute mark of the podcast Fish continues the interview, which was on the verge of ending, as he felt a need to extol about Red Barricades and our devotion to it. If you're not convinced by Fish not many others could convince you.

Btw our interview starts at about the 45 minute mark. Interview with Bob Bendizoid Bendis before ours. He gives some good advice to tournament attendees.