What material would you like to see made into a movie?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Is there a particular book, magazine, or story you would like to see made into a film? Who would you get to star in it? Director?

Mini-Me

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Red Army by Ralph Peters. It's told from the Soviet POV, so the actors would have to make convincing Reds. I think Joss Ackland would make a good 3rd Shock Army commander. In the book, he was described as a portly, hard drinking tyrant with a temper. Malinsky, the GSFG commander, is a tough one. Maybe Max von Sydow. Spielberg did such a good job with Saving Private Ryan, that I think he would make a good director for a big budget WWIII flick.

Of course, the market for this movie might not be very big. :)

knuckles_95

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Is there a particular book, magazine, or story you would like to see made into a film? Who would you get to star in it? Director?
The Watchmen by Alan Moore. He also wrote V for Vandetta

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

kinda war-related, great story.

Can't think of anyone to star or direct it.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I think the Warhammer universe would be a great setting for a movie.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thunder Run could be on par with Black Hawk Down. Great book and potential for an awesome movie.

I'm looking forward to Flag of our Fathers so thats one off the list.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Anything Hammer's Slammers by David Drake.

No Roddenberry touchy feely wholesome hopeful feel good malarchy either.

Planet trashing scifi fun. Space Marines that kick butt take names and don't mess around.

Anything from the authors Terry Brooks (Sword of Shanara series) or Terry Goodkind (Wizard's First Rule series know as Sword of Truth series). But made so as to NOT look like a LotR clone.

Something of an alternate timeline. Operation Sealion or where Japan actually invades Hawaii maybe.

Anything based on the RPG game Rifts (demons and elves mixed with the modern world for those not familiar).

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
Anything from the authors Terry Brooks (Sword of Shanara series) or Terry Goodkind (Wizard's First Rule series know as Sword of Truth series). But made so as to NOT look like a LotR clone.
I would 2nd this, especially the Terry Brooks stuff!

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
Terry Goodkind? Whew, that would be a rated X movie I think! Goodkind's fantasy is a bit different than Tolkien's Still, it would be a cool movie if done right.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Don Maddox said:
Terry Goodkind? Whew, that would be a rated X movie I think! Goodkind's fantasy is a bit different than Tolkien's Still, it would be a cool movie if done right.
There are of course some portions of the series that could indeed be quite "rough" the Mord sith comes to mind. And the scope of the violence in some battles could seriously give Tollien a run for his money.
One nice thing, is it's all humans, with a few monsters, not different races all mixed together.

Terry Brooks is unique, in that his demi humans don't follow the model set force in Tolkien's universe, which went on to dominate the thinking of so many RPGs based off of it.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I found out that movies WERE done on the raid at Entebbe.

More SF movies with good stories and tactical warfare like what you see in Navy SEALs and Black Hawk Down. Most SF flicks I have seen have stupid plots, bad acting, and include more kung fu than is legally allowable outside a Matrix flick (examples include US SEALs, Dead Men Can't Dance, and When Eagles Strike. Avoid these movies like the plague.

I am still looking for a GOOD Desert Storm era movie.

Does anyone know if they plan to complete the Civil War trilogy with Last Full Measure?

I wish that they would make Rainbow Six into a movie.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Starship Troopers done right would be nice.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Don Maddox said:
Would love to see the Battletech stuff made into a movie... a good movie, not some cheap-expensive special effects bore (if that makes sense). I wanted to see Starship Troopers made into a movie, and the result was exactly what i fear a Battletech movie would be like

I have always wanted to see a good D&D type movie too... but no joy there either.

As for books->movie, then i would have to say Neuromancer.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
There are of course some portions of the series that could indeed be quite "rough" the Mord sith comes to mind. And the scope of the violence in some battles could seriously give Tollien a run for his money.
One nice thing, is it's all humans, with a few monsters, not different races all mixed together.
My only complaint is that, I think as the series progressed, the quality declined significantly. In some of them, he spent 15 chapters building up the back-story and setting the stage, only to have the whole story come to an abrupt end in three paragraphs! Although all of them were edgy and had some interesting elements, Goodkind has simply not demonstrated that he can write worthy successors to Wizard's First Rule.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Book into movie

FIELDS OF FIRE by James Webb.

Great Vietnam book

DIE LIKE THE CARP

about the Japanese POW revolt in their camps in the outback of Australia in 1944

Mark DV
GR MICH

Pfc TAZ

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llUnited States
Mini-Me said:
Red Army by Ralph Peters.
Here! Here! That would make a great movie.

Also, I would like to see George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series made into a movie(s). Medieval fantasy, light on magic, heavy on intrigue, politics and big battles. Sort of a fantasy War of the Roses.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The Fallout universe :)

I'd like to see the BattleTech universe as well, but it's drawcard for me was the rich and byzantine politics that surrounded the Houses of the Successor States - any movie would be a MechWarrior knock off, with Johnny Everyman fighting off hordes of mechs in his damaged mech...that being said, the last stand of Aidan Pryde at Tukayyid would be worth it :D

a Warhammer 40K movie would be cool, but there's so much background fro that universe that it'd be impossible to condense it into a few hours...

On a personnel note, I'd like to see a movie about the Battle of Ulus-Kert - probably too soon, but those Russian soldiers deserve more recognition than than they got.