What material would you like to see made into a movie?

Panzer-War

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
knuckles_95 said:
There is a move that is coming out called CSA. It chronics the history of the US if the Confederates would have won. It actually looks interesting and definitely controversal.

http://www.csathemovie.com/
:rolleyes:

That certainly is one hell of a bag of garbage. And it obviously is based on the Idiotic imagination of the so called director, and little if any research was done. Nothing more than the latest effort to villanize the south.

Troy Goodfellow

Contributing Editor
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Panzer-War said:
:rolleyes:

That certainly is one hell of a bag of garbage. And it obviously is based on the Idiotic imagination of the so called director, and little if any research was done. Nothing more than the latest effort to villanize the south.
It's a Spike Lee produced movie and is obviously not intended to be a serious counterfactual history, but an exaggeration for effect. If you look at the timeline and some of the film summaries, it is apparent that the director is going to make some parallels between the way American history has actually turned out and an alternative outcome of the Civil War - in other words, that American history would not have been all that different in many major respects.

Panzer-War

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Troy Goodfellow said:
It's a Spike Lee produced movie and is obviously not intended to be a serious counterfactual history, but an exaggeration for effect. If you look at the timeline and some of the film summaries, it is apparent that the director is going to make some parallels between the way American history has actually turned out and an alternative outcome of the Civil War - in other words, that American history would not have been all that different in many major respects.
And this changes nothing that I have said and as I stated above.

Troy Goodfellow

Contributing Editor
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Panzer-War said:
And this changes nothing that I have said and as I stated above.

What kind of research do you expect for a movie that appears to be a parallel telling of an alternate history?

Though we both shouldn't comment too authoritatively unless we've seen the movie, the synopsis seems to "villainize" the entire American system. A victorious South reintroduces slavery to the North through a judicious use of tax credits? How does that make the North look good?

Panzer-War

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Troy Goodfellow said:
What kind of research do you expect for a movie that appears to be a parallel telling of an alternate history?
Exactly it comes straight from the director’s imagination.

Troy Goodfellow said:
Though we both shouldn't comment too authoritatively unless we've seen the movie, the synopsis seems to "villainize" the entire American system. A victorious South reintroduces slavery to the North through a judicious use of tax credits? How does that make the North look good?
I saw plenty from the website, and I never said it made the north look good. And as I have said before I will say agin.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stephen R Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" series. I've read the thing cover to cover, all six books like 5 times. The first three are the best though.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
How about a movie called Enemy at the Gates but it actually covers Stalingrad instead of the sniper battle? The movie should have been called War of the Rats instead. William Craig's book only mentioned the sniper battle over about 4 pages out of just over 400 pages.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
thebigbad said:
Stephen R Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" series. I've read the thing cover to cover, all six books like 5 times. The first three are the best though.
I read those a L O N G time ago. It would certainly be "different," as the story is quite unusual to say the least.

Rockhopper

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
Terry Brooks

Double Deuce said:
I would 2nd this, especially the Terry Brooks stuff!
Third this! I might have to delve back into these, haven't read them in years...

Lord of the Rings has shown that the fantasy genre can indeed be done right with today's special effects.

Hey, why not Weis/Hickman's Dragonlance as well...

Pfc TAZ

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llUnited States
Rockhopper said:
Hey, why not Weis/Hickman's Dragonlance as well...
Those stories were great back in the 80s. But, they have not aged well. I tried to re-read them a few years ago and was stumped on why I liked them so much.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Psycho1943 said:
How about a movie called Enemy at the Gates but it actually covers Stalingrad instead of the sniper battle? The movie should have been called War of the Rats instead. William Craig's book only mentioned the sniper battle over about 4 pages out of just over 400 pages.
have you seen the 1993 German film called Stalingrad? It's got more 'Stalingrad combat'-type scenes; is sympathetic to the Germans and shows their suffering. Not the greatest (nor the worst!) war film ever or anything like that, but if you're not familiar with it, it may be worth a look. The director's last name is Vilsmaier.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
alanp said:
have you seen the 1993 German film called Stalingrad? It's got more 'Stalingrad combat'-type scenes; is sympathetic to the Germans and shows their suffering. Not the greatest (nor the worst!) war film ever or anything like that, but if you're not familiar with it, it may be worth a look. The director's last name is Vilsmaier.
Yeah I got that one and eventually I want to get the old B&W Stalingrad too. There is also supposed to be an Italian movie about the Russian Front with Peter Falk IIRC. I think it was around Stalingrad but I haven't been able to find a copy yet. :(

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am frankly surprised no one has yet made a contemporary version of The Six Million Dollar Man. Given all the retro stuff (Charlie's Angels, Starsky & Hutch, etc) from the 70's it seems like you could really do something with a modern version. Call it The Six Billion Dollar Man to adjust for inflation :cheeky:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
alanp said:
Sympathetic to the Germans? The film is about the experience of a small group of German soldiers in Stalingrad, of course it shows how their unit is gradually destroyed and forced into horrendous conditions. It shows them as ordinary people in an extraordinary situation.

The film also goes to great lengths to show the brutality of the German command, including pitiless punishments for minor infractions and forced executions of innocent civilians. The hopeless situation eventually causes basic command functions to break down and the soldiers begin to turn on their leaders.

This is an anti-war movie if there ever was one. "Sympathetic" is not exactly a word I would have used to describe the film's treatment of the German cause.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
I would like see Robotech redone al a Transformers. The Veritechs were much cooler than transformers, Go-bots and battletech combined.

A treatment on the Battle of Cameron by the Legion

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's good news. However, I wonder if they are going to pull a fast one by transforming the original environmentalist terrorists into something more PC like neo-Nazis, as they did with Sum of all Fears. :rolleyes:

I would love to see someone take a crack at doing a movie about the Great Siege of Malta. I don't think there ever was a more rousing war story! Also, it would give the Hospitaller Knights the spotlight they deserve (they are a far more impressive order than the much-lauded Templars). The best book to base it upon would be Angel's in Iron. Oh...Ridley Scott need not apply. :paperbag:

I also want to see someone remake Midway. The original movie was a '70s cheapie. With today's CGI, that carrier duel could be epic!

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perdido Street Station and The Scar by China Mieville. I personally enjoyed both books immensely!

Also the 40k universe is a great place to make a movie. And despite it having a vast backstory it's not really hard to discern and not really needed tbh lol. Sure for those who do not know it but in the end... it's just full of war haha, not hard to do :p

I'd also like to see the animes Cowboy Beebop and Berserk made into movies as well.