What makes a night scenario fun for the Defender?

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're the defender in a night scenario; what makes a scenario situation fun for you?

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're the defender in a night scenario; what makes a scenario situation fun for you?
Entrenched USMC squads
Multiple HMG's/MMG 's with interlocking fields of fire
60mm mortars
Trip flares
Japanese attackers

When modern ASL becomes a reality...

AFV'S equipped with night vision equipment
Vietnam

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ability to HIP 25% of your force makes for interesting ambushes. Initial setup is that much more challenging and varied, since you have to be even more careful at night than during the day. The ability to react once the fight is on, is far more limited at night. This due to No-Move. Finally, how different the night version of the game is from the day. Once again, a nice job with design and effect.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
The fact I am the defender and don't know what the heck my opponent is moving towards me! HS-spoilers or a kill-stack? To answer the question I think you are asking, however, I relish the opportunity for a counterattack that is practically designed into the ebb/flow of the scenario. WO 8 "Silent Night, Deadly Night" is an excellent example of this.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fish told me a story about him and McNamara going out to some wilderness at different moons and cloud cover with a measuring tape to tweek the night rules close to reality. "I'M 80 YARDS AWAY! CAN YOU SEE ME?"

Last edited:

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fish told me a story about him and McNamara going out to some wilderness at different moons and cloud cover with a measuring tape to tweek the night rules close to reality. "I'M 80 YARDS AWAY! CAN YOU SEE ME?"
Reminds me of a hunting trip some years back. The sun had gone down, but it was still pretty light out. My friend and I were waiting at the truck for our other two amigos to come down off the hill.
I'd fired off two rounds from my .50AE Desert Eagle into a nearby stump, just for laughs.
We hear off to our left, "I AM NOT A DEER!":D
Our other hunting partners said you could see the muzzle flash from up the hill.
I've always wondered how accurate the Night rules are in ASL.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They are as good as Bob McNamara could make them and he took it seriously enough to go running around the woods at night with a flashlight, although with Fish this was probably mighty fun. Then he made his best guess.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I feel like night defenses actually make true all the things people say about the fun of setting up prepared defenses because of the extreme amounts of HIP, etc. Many more planned ambushes actually happen and there are more layers to the puzzle: Doing actual damage, freeing dudes from No Move (a key part of a good night defense is planning that), etc. <3 night.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They are as good as Bob McNamara could make them and he took it seriously enough to go running around the woods at night with a flashlight, although with Fish this was probably mighty fun. Then he made his best guess.
I want to hear that he read a bunch of official unit reports on night actions, that he interviewed veterans who fought at night, and that he consulted with the faculty at the US Army Night Fighting School.

But your version will do.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
So you're saying Chapter E started with a snipe hunt...?

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Japanese stealthy attackers at night in dense jungle = 0 NVR. Bump. Strip. Move ADJ concealed. Advance. Ambush. Whack! Infiltrate. Even measly Japanese HS can make those big bad marines shake in their boots.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Japanese stealthy attackers at night in dense jungle = 0 NVR. Bump. Strip. Move ADJ concealed. Advance. Ambush. Whack! Infiltrate. Even measly Japanese HS can make those big bad marines shake in their boots.
That's not much for the defender, which is what the threads about.

For me, its pick another scenario that doesn't have night rules......

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TRue. Misread. But as the Marine you gotta figure out how to space your units vs infiltration, stack enough units to maintain concealment vs the bump....a bit technical but lots of suspense.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
Reminds me of a hunting trip some years back. The sun had gone down, but it was still pretty light out. My friend and I were waiting at the truck for our other two amigos to come down off the hill.
I'd fired off two rounds from my .50AE Desert Eagle into a nearby stump, just for laughs.
We hear off to our left, "I AM NOT A DEER!":D
Our other hunting partners said you could see the muzzle flash from up the hill.
I've always wondered how accurate the Night rules are in ASL.
You know what they say about hunting partys:
Two's company
Three is crossfire.