Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I also know Peter and correspond with him from time to time. I have had a chance to meet him and we have had some pretty deep conversations. I agree with Dave, no way he meant that statement as you took it. He meant you were missing out on a major rules section and bypassing a part of history for any given HASL by not playing them. He was not saying you were a history-denier in the sense that phrase has come to mean.

The man's line of work is to build infrastructure in struggling third world places first hand, where armed men would not want to set foot, with nothing but the shirt on his back, know-how and his NGO's backing and good intentions. You have completely mis-read him as a person and his intent. I agree that HAD he meant it that way, you would most definitely have cause for being more than upset. I would stake my life, that he did not mean it that way.
Your witness and others' do indeed show that I must have misunderstood what he expressed.
Sincere apologies to all for the fuss and the thread derailment.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
To me a good HASL has to have a good story and reason behind it, Barricades, VOTG, Red October, Festung budapest all have a good Historical story line. I stick to the eastern front for all my HASL stuff there are so many options there it if unlimited.

Balance is not really an issue, in real combat there is no balance even an out-manned unit can win

Context; when you play the CG scenarios, a good HASL literally puts you in the commanders hot-seat, so you had better shape up

A vitrual pile of tactical puzzles; the CG gives you far more options than a single scenario that is almost scripted. You have at your disposal a ton of troops to select and the option to plan your campaign, so you need to use your men and equipment in a manner that allows you to complete the tasks at hand

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Balance is not really an issue, in real combat there is no balance even an out-manned unit can win
You bring up a good point - namely, balance. HASL's, unlike scenarios, don't seem so easy to balance given their size. Balance is something to strive for with HASLs, but in the end really cannot be made to do that by the designers. I think this is OK, personally. Some things may need to be sacrificed in order to recreate the historical. Winning? Save it for the tournaments. Having fun? That's what HASLs are for.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
HASLS are the perfect tool to challenge the historical outcome. Many great military minds used war-gaming to test theories on dispositions, tactics, and campaign strategy. An HASL allows the player to take the tools given and develop their own outcome. In an tourney you have mostly scenarios, 5-7 turns in length that depend on planning but share one devastating problem.....one roll of the dice will spell the end for one of the players. It is okay for a tournament, but in a "reality" sense that scenario is most likely a component of a larger action. It is not to say, in all fairness, that that specific scenario could most likely be the sole engagement that day. I love perusing the OOB for each side and review the CG package for the specific details. As an example I am playing the Death Ride Kursk mega game right(Grognard simulations) and you really see the broad operational strategy of each nation right down to the individual platoon, company level. In the ASL HASL world it would break down an individual battalion level engagement to an even greater detail. The HASL brings what I call a Sub- Operational Level of game, so in short, via the Deathride Kursk game, you step into the role as a Corp/ Army group commander, and in the HASL your level is around Colonel to General Level(Brigade to Division) level for the games like Barricades, or VOTG, to Captain, Major for the smaller games. HASL s are an excellant way to look at the bigger picture. The individual scenarios are good to look at the tactical levels, but to broaden your mind and offer a means to know why the scenario happened the HASL campaign is the onlyway to really appreciate the five W's of both the campaign and the scenarios attached to it.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HASLS are the perfect tool to challenge the historical outcome. Many great military minds used war-gaming to test theories on dispositions, tactics, and campaign strategy.
I agree...however...I have noticed that one kind find some "grokking" hints in the historical write ups on the scenario cards and CG descriptions.