What Makes A Good AAR?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Be sure to include lots of ‘I’ statements in your AAR, like “I did this” and/or “I did that” or “I feel”. Always use the word “very” for every adgective and every now and then refer to yourself in third person. Most of all never use the letter ‘J’ (indulgence).

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the best AAR writers I think:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2631278/14-silence-gun

My favorite series replay was a Deluxe city fight on the eastern front. I set that up and played along quite a few times to learn the game. Great action between two great players. I remember the German player lost 😉

OP Hill and the back and forth of the HMG was really good too.

And how can I forget Khamsin? Lugging an ATR in the desert heat to shoot a lock washer off a Grant. Great writing that was.

There’s more but these popped in my mind first.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Why do you think that there is "diminishing" room for a grognard's voice? The more the merrier!
It's all about market share. As the space becomes saturated, your ability to stand out and attract viewers becomes more difficult. I could be wrong, but then there aren't too many online retailers for books who aren't amazon or an amazon re-skin. -- jim

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A while back @Carln0130 spent more than a year trying to teach me the basics. One thing he said early on is that I should journal all my games. It allows for post game reflection and it's a great way to learn. Hence my blog is my journal. What I find particularly interesting from the experience is when folks message/ comment to say "hey, I did this instead" or "I think you did that wrong". Valuable learning moments!
This is sage advice. I keep telling myself that I'll get around to creating a template for recording my matches.

One thing I need to remember to include is a field titled "temperament," or something similar. When reviewing your records years later, I think it's helpful to keep a match in perspective. Being less than 100%, distracted, etc., can impact play. I think it's important not to beat up on yourself too much when you aren't at your best. Save those harangues for when you did something really stupid despite bringing your A-game to the table.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's all about market share. As the space becomes saturated, your ability to stand out and attract viewers becomes more difficult. I could be wrong, but then there aren't too many online retailers for books who aren't amazon or an amazon re-skin. -- jim
I think you're making more of this than there is.

In a free market of ideas, products, and services, the best tend to rise to the top. Granted slick marketing can overcome some deficiencies, but if it doesn't pass the sniff test, ASL players won't be shy about saying so.

Build it. If they will come, you could be on to something. Grognards-r-Us™, or GRU, for short. ;)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Post the AAR for the given scenario here and in that AAR provide a link to the (hopefully single) logfile of that playing in the ASL Scenario Archive website, where it is possible to upload logs.

von Marwitz
One difficulty with a single logfile, or any logfile for that matter that extends beyond a turn or two, is that it is cumbersome to work with when preparing an AAR. Try going back to grab a screen shot you missed, or an effect you wanted to confirm. AFAIK there is no way to "rewind" a log.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most AARs are too long and don't have enough trash talk.

I want insults and a bit of stupidity. I doubt most turn by turn accounts are ever read.
As an experiment, I'd love to record the Skype audio of a game and have that transcribed as an overlay to the video of the game being played. Yes, 90% of it would be People Counting, 8% of it would be People Looking Up Rules, but that last 2% would be GOLD, JERRY, PURE GOLD.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Be sure to include lots of ‘I’ statements in your AAR, like “I did this” and/or “I did that” or “I feel”. Always use the word “very” for every adgective and every now and then refer to yourself in third person. Most of all never use the letter ‘J’ (indulgence).
Bob I've given this some thought and I'm afraid I can't take your advice about the letter J. I've had lots of nicknames throughout my life, some of dubious quality, but Action-ick really doesn't appeal to me
☹😉🤣

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
One difficulty with a single logfile, or any logfile for that matter that extends beyond a turn or two, is that it is cumbersome to work with when preparing an AAR. Try going back to grab a screen shot you missed, or an effect you wanted to confirm. AFAIK there is no way to "rewind" a log.
Interesting. I never knew that. Maybe this would be a good proposal to the VASL crew:
A function to 'connect' logfiles into one and a function to 'rewind'.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
As an experiment, I'd love to record the Skype audio of a game and have that transcribed as an overlay to the video of the game being played. Yes, 90% of it would be People Counting, 8% of it would be People Looking Up Rules, but that last 2% would be GOLD, JERRY, PURE GOLD.
Well, you could learn some German curses that are much better than what Americans have been presented with in decades of Hollywood war-movies...

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well, you could learn some German curses that are much better than what Americans have been presented with in decades of Hollywood war-movies...

von Marwitz
Always good to learn new descriptive words and phrases.😉

Personally I think one of the German language's greatest contributions is the word schadenfrude. Just love that!🤗

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Always good to learn new descriptive words and phrases.😉

Personally I think one of the German language's greatest contributions is the word schadenfrude. Just love that!🤗
The Oberst likes 'Urlaubsantragsformular' - he always tears them up with Schadenfreude when he is presented one by some hapless Landser who really believed he would ever be leaving the barracks without what von Marwitz considers a speckless uniform...

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The Oberst likes 'Urlaubsantragsformular' - he always tears them up with Schadenfreude when he is presented one by some hapless Landser who really believed he would ever be leaving the barracks without what von Marwitz considers a speckless uniform...

von Marwitz
Thanks for the corrected spelling!

Fish would speak of his days in the Army spit polishing his shoes till they outshone anybody's in his platoon and having his uniform perfect.

On the other hand I was not that concerned and would patch my dungarees with duck tape. I believe the Oberst's nautical cousin would never grant me shore leave!🙄

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Interesting. I never knew that. Maybe this would be a good proposal to the VASL crew:
A function to 'connect' logfiles into one and a function to 'rewind'.

von Marwitz
That would be a nice addition: the possibility to "move to" specific events in a logfile. Typically turn/phase changes.

Though, of course, in my games the actual turn/phase change is quite often off by several actions. Start moving, then after a few stacks move, realize your phase track is still on Rally Phase;click to move to Prep Fire Phase, then Movement Phase, then Defensive Fire Phase (oops); cancel to go back to Movement Phase... am I the only one?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Bob I've given this some thought and I'm afraid I can't take your advice about the letter J. I've had lots of nicknames throughout my life, some of dubious quality, but Action-ick really doesn't appeal to me
☹😉🤣
Taking away the letter 'j' is a real jick move. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
One of the best AAR writers I think:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2631278/14-silence-gun

My favorite series replay was a Deluxe city fight on the eastern front. I set that up and played along quite a few times to learn the game. Great action between two great players. I remember the German player lost 😉

OP Hill and the back and forth of the HMG was really good too.

And how can I forget Khamsin? Lugging an ATR in the desert heat to shoot a lock washer off a Grant. Great writing that was.

There’s more but these popped in my mind first.
Yes I remember the German player losing also. Talking to him he blames it on his opponent. Can't admit that he was just outplayed. ☹☹🙄🙄🤔🤔😊😊

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I do like to write AARs, tho I am horribly behind, due to a combination of lack of time and frequent incarceration...

A man is having trouble with his mule. He takes it to a man who is supposed to be an expert on training mules. He says, "When I say 'Gee', he doesn't Gee, and when I say 'Haw', he doesn't Haw."

The expert trainer goes up to the mule, and whacks it in the head with a two by four. "SMASH!!!"

The mule staggers a bit, then the man sez 'Gee'! And the mule Gees. And then he sez 'Haw'. And the mule Haws.

The owner sez, "That's amazing!!! But why did you need to smack him in the head???"

The trainer sez, "Well, first, you gotta get their attention..."

That is what I am trying for in my AARs. I wanna get people's attention, and get them to play more scenarios that are worth playing, and pass on those that aren't. There are a bunch that aren't. I play more games than most players, and I feel for people who only can play once a month because they have a real job and a nagging wife and rugrats that require almost constant supervision to make sure that they don't set fire to the dog.

Again.

Life is too short to be playing dogs. While I try to entertain, that is the main reason I post AARs. I also hope to encourage people to get out a play more. FTF, VASL - whatever.

Some of my opponents pretty much only buy MMP stuff, so that is a lot of what I play. I like to play 3rd party scenarios. As a designer, I know how much work and effort goes into designing a new scenario, and feel that the work should be rewarded by having people play it - and post the results on ROAR, even if they don't do an AAR.

True confession - some of the stuff in my AARs is made up. Fake. Fraudulent. As real as the Weekly World News Batboy stories. But everything related to the actual game is gospel. That is one of the things that is so, so kewl about the game. What REALLY happens is usually much weirder and more exciting than anything you can make up. 9-1 American leader eliminates 3 HSs and wounds an 8-0 while attempting to rally people??? Yep. Mortar breaks three times in 3 turns??? Yep. Entire scenario played without a defending 6 morale American squad ever, EVER breaking??? Yep.

BTW, I had the Germans in that last one. I lost. Go figger...

When I play Vinnie, he takes a pic of the board after every player turn. If I do it, it is usually at the end of the game. And I apologize if the pics are not the best quality. Slow shutter speed, bad lighting, and plastic covering the board tend to wreck the pics due to reflections and blurriness. Shaky hands due to vodka consumption don't help, either.

Some end of game shots I don't take. "At the end of the game, the board wuz a sea of blue, with bloody piles of gutted Russians everywhere..."

I like to give the game highlights - and lowlights - without going into mind-numbing detail. "At the beginning of Turn 8, my opponent rolled a 6 on his Wind Change roll..."

Anyway, keep reading my AARs, as well as everyone else's.

Coming up in mine - links to Latina lesbian pics. I promise...

Pip Smith

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Fake. Fraudulent. As real as the Weekly World News Batboy stories.
:oops: So you are telling me that the AAR you wrote where the Batboy flew in on the WW2 bomber from the moon to get a critical hit that won you the game wasn't real?!?

🤣
Thanks for the reply.