What live sporting events have you been to?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Not talking about a game at your local high school, we're talking about major sporting events. What have you been to?

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not talking about a game at your local high school, we're talking about major sporting events. What have you been to?
Outside of a professional baseball, hockey or NFL game or college football game, the most off the beaten track event was the French Open. My goal is to make it to the Australian and US Open and Wimbeldon one day.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Been to Murrayfield to see Scotland play England Wales France and Ireland and also to the "World Bowl" there a few years ago but I've also seen the Barbarians play Sotland at Pttodrie and a Scotland Canada game there. Saw Aberdeen play Hibs and Scotland play Nigeria at fotball (an od experience as the scots players charged around these guys who calmly walked around playing the pants off us while the crowd sang anti-England songs...I do not recommend it as a fun experience.)

Mike Murphy

Cat's servant
Reaction score
Tiger Stadium: Detroit Lions football (60's) and Detroit Tigers baseball (60's)
Comerica Park: Detroit Tigers baseball (00's)
Three Rivers Stadium: Pittsburgh Pirates vs Cincinnati Reds NL baseball playoff game in '91 (?)
Detroit Olympia: Detroit Red Wings hockey (60's)
Joe Louis Arena: Detroit Red Wings hockey (90's -- 00's)
Palace of Auburn Hills: Detroit Vipers minor league hockey (90's)
Cobo Hall: Detroit Pistons basketball (60's)

The list is long but I really have only attended a small number of games at any of these venues. That's all that I can remember at the moment.

Last edited:

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Semi-regular Toronto Blue Jays games.
I've seen the Red Sox, A's and Cardinals play in their home parks.
Minor league baseball - the Toronto Maple Leafs of the Inter County League play in a park 2 blocks from my house. I have a hat!
Minor league hockey. Oshawa Generals and Toronto Marlies. I won't pay to see the Maple Laffs until they make an effort not to suck.

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I went to see the Cincinnati Reds a long time ago and one NASCAR race. I've also been to two Legacy Fighting Championships and I'll be going to UFC 136 in October.

Hopefully I'll get to see an LSU game this year.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Numerous Tigers' games in both the old and new stadiums. I think the earliest was 1969 or so.

I've been to four Lions games.

I went to see the Browns play the Colts twice in Indianapolis.

Blackhawks vs the Flame in Chicago.

Two Redwing games. I want to go to more of them,

Three Pistons games. Never was a big BB fan but I really enjoy seeing NBA live. I thought to Automotion dance girls were really hot until my wife pointed out that one of my daughter's friends she grew up with is on the squad. Du'oh!

I used to go see the Toledo Mudhens play a lot... got tossed for underage drinking from one if their games way back when...

Numerous IHL games when that league existed.

been to many U of M football games in the Big House. Had seasons tickets to IU football two years in a row. But I only ever got to see Bobby Knight's team play inter-squad. Met him one day and chatted a bit. I was in the pool twice to get IU BB tix but never got drawn.

Been to a number of Cincinnati Reds games. Seen the Mariners play a few times in Seattle. The Royals once in Kansas City.

Been to the Motor City Bowl once.

Horse racing at Churchill downs, even won some $$ that day.

Went to an Iron Chef taping once and got to see a battle in Kitchen Stadium (Bobby Fley & The White House Chefs vs. Emeril Lagasse and Mario Batali.) Now that was as exciting an NHL game!

AnewNewbie

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I've seen the All Blacks play France in Paris twice and next week I'm seeing the Scotland vs Argentina RWC game here in Wellington.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This thread is totally foreign to me. I guess it helps having lived most of my life in a city that has a hockey team in the city proper and two baseball teams less than an hour away...

Course, I don't go often :p

Reaction score
Lets see.

I was at the 1982 Nebraska-Oklahoma Game (in Lincoln). Which was most notable for this play:
http://youtu.be/0X7phZvI-jM

Otherwise, I was to a game between the Senators and A's at RFK just before the Senators left DC (so, early 70s), various Royals games over the years.

Then, the years I was at school in St. Louis, we made two games at Busch. Interestingly enough, in the first of them, the then-closer, Todd Worrell blew out his arm. Then, the next game we made (over a year later), was his first game in return. (Which was the sole highlight, as the Mets blew the Cards out. Further, the Cards starter, who was making his ML Debut didn't even last the first inning, as he got hurt trying to make a defensive play on Vince Coleman. We didn't even see that bit, we didn't get there till the bottom of the first because of traffic... :(

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Interesting, the nonUS people note the international competitions as the big games while the US folk talk more of the standard competition games.

Reaction score
Well, sports culture here in the US is far more oriented to US leagues. Yes, there's the Olympics, and a few international sports (golf, tennis), but the core of sports fandom in the US truly does focus on US Football, Baseball and Basketball, and in none of them is international competition all that important.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting, the nonUS people note the international competitions as the big games while the US folk talk more of the standard competition games.
Don't you think that due to most US sports are not international competitions (outside of Canada)- baseball, football, NASCAR, Hockey to a certain extent (NHL v. international leagues) whereas Rugby, Cricket, Soccer are more international sports plus you have the distance factor too unlike in Europe a 10 - 15 hour train ride can get you to about any of the Western European countries where it takes 20 hours to drive from Denver to Chicago.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's an observation rather than a criticism.
Wit international matches, there are generally very few travelling fans. The majority of them will consist of people working in that country.

Reaction score
Think about two of the more important types of international competition out there for team sports. Use the analogy from Football (soccer for us US types) of the UEFA Champions League, and the World Cup.

Now, consider the big 3 team sports in the US (Football, Basketball, Baseball)

What foreign leagues have champions good enough to compete in a Champions League type competition in...

Football? Aside from major rules changes between the leagues, I don't think anyone would want to see the Grey Cup winners against the Super Bowl champs.
Baseball? The Japanese League is likely the best league outside the US out there, and they're basically AAA level (with some Major League caliber players, but not all of them)
Basketball? This is the most interesting of them. With the development of the sport in Europe and South America, I can forsee a day where this becomes a viable idea. Just not yet.

Likewise, a World Cup type setting, wtih the best players from a nation?
Football? Yeaaaah, right.
Baseball? This is a bit more interesting. Of course there have been steps in this direction in recent years.
Basketball? Also, a bit interesting. The US success in FIBA and Olympic competition has been problematic. I don't know that the US really takes it that seriously, but it can work.

Yet, even when you consider the last two, they really don't get a great deal of attention in the US. A fairly standard Free Agent signing in football or baseball will likely get much more attention than the FIBA semi-finals, assuming they happen the same day.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Boston: Fenway park to watch the Red Sox during the 1970s. Also saw the Boston Patriots play in Fenway during 1968 against Buffalo.

Cincinnati: Watched the Red play the Padres & Expos during the early summer of 1978; also watched Pete Rose get his 3000th hit (hit 2999 was an error).

JVan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been to lots of Angel and Dodger baseball games (before Dodger Stadium became gang heaven), several Duck hockey games, 3 Freedom Bowl games, a Portland Winterhawks hockey game, a USC football game and a Rams football game. I also went to several USAC indy car races in the 70's, a couple of IRL indy car races in the 90s and several NASCAR races in the 70's and 80's. I've also been to more sprint car races than I can count over the years.