What kind of asset in a NAI

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey, NAI are the result of intel gathered by a variety of assets (or something like this).

What kind of assets are used to make a NAI happen in the real world? I gather that NAI imply something like sniper teams, undercover agents or indigenous informers. Would satellite imagery also be relevant? Anything else?

Just wondering.

C.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I always think of (high altitude)aerial recon flights, and theatre level UAVs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could be JSTARS, satellites, special ops teams, infantry and/or mechanized reconaissance teams, ground surveillance radars, air reconaissance assets....

In the headquarters, you (the commander) decide you need to know about a given area and draw an NAI on the map. Your intel staff scrambles to figure out how to get sensors (including eyeballs) on the area. In the real world, you'll have to juggle resources and their capabilities against the places you want to watch and the times you want them watched - it gets very complex very quickly.

At its core, Decisive Action's NAI function is designed to drive discussions between students and instructors about why the student's plan needs to see a given place at a given time: what information do they expect to get, and what does that information imply for the success or failure of their plan, execution of branches & sequels, etc. The details of what sensor can see the spot may come up in discussion, but it isn't something that's necessary in the sim. (If it was a factor in the sim, then it would have to come up in the discussion, instead of only coming up when the instructor though it was important.)

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I see: how NAI come together is up to the staff.

I wanted to get a feel for the meaning of having a NAI destroyed, and whether having only a 1 turn delay before a NAI become active is realistic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bongotastic said:
I see: how NAI come together is up to the staff.

I wanted to get a feel for the meaning of having a NAI destroyed, and whether having only a 1 turn delay before a NAI become active is realistic.
It's conceptually realistic, in that you have to plan ahead to get the benefits.

How far in advance would you need to draw the NAI on the map, in reality.... ? It depends - on the actual asset and other demands on it, and on your staff. :)

Destruction of the NAI, in DA, is essentially a "bad things happen" mechanism. Something went wrong - how will you deal with it?