What is your main ASL pastime?

How do you spend the bulk of your time playing ASL?

• Total voters

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
How do you spend the bulk of your time playing ASL? Is it on VASL, FtF, Solo or playing ASLSK? Or it could be another outlet like designing, producing or collecting.

I'm not including the social media outlets like this forum or Facebook because it is not technically 'playing the game'. I should think most of us spend more time on social media discussing the game than actually playing. I know I do. So I'll leave this aspect out of the poll.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
How do you spend the bulk of your time playing ASL? Is it on VASL, FtF, Solo or playing ASLSK? Or it could be another outlet like designing, producing or collecting.
Need I post here?
I'm not including the social media outlets like this forum or Facebook because it is not technically 'playing the game'. I should think most of us spend more time on social media discussing the game than actually playing. I know I do. So I'll leave this aspect out of the poll.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The bulk of my time is solitaire; as a novice, this is the best way for me to figure out what rules I need to learn and to start figuring out what tactics might work and what won't (though my lack of imagination in attack or defense means that the lesson that I take away needs to be taken with a grain of salt). If I could, though, I would gladly exchange ten hours of solitaire for one of face-to-face.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The bulk of my time is solitaire; as a novice, this is the best way for me to figure out what rules I need to learn and to start figuring out what tactics might work and what won't (though my lack of imagination in attack or defense means that the lesson that I take away needs to be taken with a grain of salt). If I could, though, I would gladly exchange ten hours of solitaire for one of face-to-face.
I used to think similarly. But I now believe the best way to learn is to find someone who knows what they are about (not me lol) and play them a bunch. Then play other people and see what tactics and rules (mis)usages they bring to the table. This can happen ftf or (much more easily) on VASL. Play and play and play. The problem with solitaire is that you don’t know when you are making mistakes.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Among the problems with solitaire is that you know exactly what your opponent is going to do. Until you have played a lot of players, it is hard to play solitaire even reasonably well. Even when you have played a lot of players, you will occasionally be surprised by a player that has a very different style of play. There is one player I know who keeps his units concealed with a self-discipline that I could never hope to match. Solitaire play is a bit like predicting the weather (currently). It is ok in the very short term, it generally is not unreasonable in the near term, and anything beyond that is no better than, "red sky at morning."

JR

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I used to think similarly. But I now believe the best way to learn is to find someone who knows what they are about (not me lol) and play them a bunch. Then play other people and see what tactics and rules (mis)usages they bring to the table. This can happen ftf or (much more easily) on VASL. Play and play and play. The problem with solitaire is that you don’t know when you are making mistakes.
Quoted for Great Justice.

Playing solo is one of the worst ways to learn ASL.

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a good way to get a lot of scenarios in, at least for me. It helps when I get the occasional scenario design bug.

Ftf provides more glee, however (e.g., toasting two Russian dozer tanks in one MPh/DFF in OtO despite having no 88s left).

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But I now believe the best way to learn is to find someone who knows what they are about (not me lol) and play them a bunch.
A very experienced member of the local club has been doing just this - not playing more satisfying games with more experienced players, but trying to help me get up to speed (showed me the virtues of VBM freeze for early war scenarios and the utility of armored assault movement last month). So, though a face-to-face education is a huge preference for me, I don't get the teaching as often as I would like and try to make progress on my own to supplement.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Among the problems with solitaire is that you know exactly what your opponent is going to do. Until you have played a lot of players, it is hard to play solitaire even reasonably well. Even when you have played a lot of players, you will occasionally be surprised by a player that has a very different style of play. There is one player I know who keeps his units concealed with a self-discipline that I could never hope to match. Solitaire play is a bit like predicting the weather (currently). It is ok in the very short term, it generally is not unreasonable in the near term, and anything beyond that is no better than, "red sky at morning."

JR
Definitely agree! This is what I meant by my "lack of imagination" comment. I "learn," say, a defensive lesson, from attacking in a way that no experienced player ever would (all the while, as the defender, having exact knowledge of the plans of the attacker). Still, there is utility in learning and reinforcing rules (though, one can incorrectly learn rules - I try to look up EVERYTHING when I'm soloing) and some obvious tactical lessons can be teased out. For me, though, solitaire isn't a tenth as much fun as face-to-face play.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This.

And not only don't you recognize your mistakes. Worse, you habitualize them which makes it quite difficult to un-learn them again when you finally discover them.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A very experienced member of the local club has been doing just this - not playing more satisfying games with more experienced players, but trying to help me get up to speed (showed me the virtues of VBM freeze for early war scenarios and the utility of armored assault movement last month). So, though a face-to-face education is a huge preference for me, I don't get the teaching as often as I would like and try to make progress on my own to supplement.
I believe to remember that you do not like VASL? If I am mistaken, use VASL and find Pat Ireland who has made it his mission to teach people ASL and SK.

von Marwitz

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Only face-to-face as I sat in front of a computer for most of my career in finance and accounting. I am fortunate to be playing the same player most of the time for the past thirty years which means little lookup to the rules between the two of us. I am glad VASL exists and may one day be my way to keep playing. Also, it helps bring new players into the fold either by watching others play or having simply an opponent. I do love to roll dice and hear the tumble or tinkle.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Still, there is utility in learning and reinforcing rules (though, one can incorrectly learn rules - I try to look up EVERYTHING when I'm soloing) and some obvious tactical lessons can be teased out. For me, though, solitaire isn't a tenth as much fun as face-to-face play.
I tried the same approach for lack of alternatives back then.

But looking up everything (as necessary as it might be if you play & teach yourself solitaire) slows down the game incredibly. But maybe more importantly:

The greatest benefit of playing real (and better) opponents is that you see which rules and concepts are used most often, i.e. which are most important to learn first. If you are not familiar with ASL and only rely on the rulebook or the solitaire-learning experience, you will not come near figuring this out comparably well and quick.

von Marwitz

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
The quality of the opponent has a great deal to do with how well we learn as well.

Play as many different opponents as often as possible, as some will also have imprinted their bad habits on you.
It's best to take samples of as many sources as possible.
Even less experienced players will have something to teach you at times.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mostly VASL right now. My regular ftf opponent and I plan to queue up an FB campaign soon and I play some ftf in the summer and at the Texas tournament.

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My f2f is limited to our twice a month club get together. I hope to increase that next year but VASL offers me the ability to get in a game 2-3 hours at a sitting with a larger variety of opponents. Still love f2f but gaining a lot more experience playing multiple VASL games.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
VASL!!

I am on a pause til mid Dec at the moment but I have a mix of regular VASL sessions and PBeMs. I have 6 CGs and 6 scenarios with 10 opponents.

It's been this way since 2013. Going strong and LOVING IT!!!!