What is your favourite sport?

Reaction score
For those of you who follow and/or play sports, what are some of your favourite? Also, what are some of your favourite sports teams/individuals?

As some of you might predict, the number one sport for me is ice hockey. I grew up playing street hockey, and have followed the NHL extremely closely since I was 10. Being born and raised in Vancouver, the Vancouver Canucks are my favourite pro team. It's hard to describe what hockey means to many of us in Canada, but it is a great shame/embarrasment if we lose in international competition (Olympics, World Cup/Canada Cup, World Championships, etc.). I don't know if there are any other nations that have national social debates about a sport if they have dissapointing results (it happens here). I also play casual ice hockey, and in Canada we call this Beer league hockey :D

I also follow Formula One, and have hardly missed a race since 1996. Unfourtunately, because of the time difference the European races start at 0400-0500 in my time zone. While they also show these races on tape delay, I usually have to spend my sunday avoiding internet and tv sports updates so I don't accidentally find out the result (quite difficult actually) before the tape delay starts. When I first started watching F1, because I didn't know any better, I used to wake up at 0400 to watch the races live :nuts: My favourite teams (in order) are: Ferrari, Sauber, Jordan, and Renault/Benetton.

My next favourite, is the World Cup of Soccer. Since Canada rarely makes it to the world cup (except for the women's team), I usually end up cheering for Germany, because of my heritage.

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
I would definatly say soccer, what a suprise :D :nuts: I enjoy any soccer game at any time. As for a favorite team I like them all.;) :p
I also like American Football and my team is the Carolina Panthers.
I also like to watch Rugby but I rarely see it over here in the US

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if I have a single favorite sport. It used to be golf, but I haven't really been into it much the last couple of years. I love baseball and am a big NY Yankees fan...being a former New Yorker and all. I'm also a big Dallas Cowboy Fan on the football side of things. Not sure how that happened.

To be honest though, my favorite sport to watch on TV is the Eco-Challenge adventure race. Now that's reality television.

Take care,
Brian

BigDog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Colledge Football becuase they are still pumped full of for the glory of the school and havent figured out its just a job. I rarely watch the pros.

Most forms of Auto racing. Mainly NASCAR and endurance racing. I havent followed F1 in a few years. There is just too much disparity amongst the teams and too many team orders for my taste. And I can rember the getting up in the middle of the night thing to watch races. I guese that isnt as bad as watching all 24 hours of Le Mans.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Australian Rules Football

Carn the Dees!

edit: Martin I aslo follow F1, having made it to both the Sepang and Melbourne GPs this year. Fave Team is Williams, then BAR Honda, then Renault, though the money Toyota is throwing abot makes them exciting to watch in the future I think.

Be good to see Williams have a proper line up next year, with Webber and JV :D

Also in Football (soccer): in the Premier League I follow Arsenal, in the spanish League; Valencia, in the Bundesliga; Bayern Munich, and in the French League: St Etiennne, but they don;t do so well :D

Last edited:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
hehe... my favorite, ... you guys probably do not even know it ... though it is a british game :) ... Badminton is my favorite. It is even less known to the world that the World Champion of Badminton (for example, All England Open) wins only $500. :p (well, that may explain why the sport iself is so little known :D )

My favorite sport star? .. there are many of them... but all time, all sport and only pick one... oh man, that must be MICHEAL JORDAN! He is the KING! :)

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The path to glory lies not in hockey but in American Football, more specifically in Green Bay Packers! Let Favre return in all glory to Super Bowl in 2005!

Dan

screamer

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
ice skating [speed-skating, or marathong games like the 11cities ride, 110km iirc that we have here].

and hockey is for pussies :devil: i prefer ice hockey or bandy :devil:

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
My favourite sports are basketball and soccer, though I ma not that good in both of them... (maybe I should practice a little more and not just answer to this forums :D )

@ Martin Schenkel:
On your other question: Here in Germany we have great depates everytime the German Soccer Team looses game, which is quite often. Well, that's really because some do still expect the team to be as good as in the 1960s, but that is definately no more the case...

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I played a lot Badminton when I was student, a very nice sport

As many Europeans, I appreciate Football (not the "for little girl" american football :devil: , I like this kind of provocation :D)

I like a lot Rugby, especially when the French team win the great shelem and defeat England:p . I appeciate a lot the Australian team and more than all, the All Blacks (New Zealand)
The next World Championship will be played in France in 2007, hummmm

Not joking this time US people if you can see the charge of 120 Kg people against the holder of the ball it is incredible, because they wear no protection, no helmet, and the shock has the same intensity as the one of American football.:whlchr:

Der WanderPlaySportOnHisArmchair :D

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
for my part i like ping-pong and chess ( ok may be it is not a sport for you)
i used to play badminton in a club some years ago but i had to stop because of chess, nice sport too.
i recently went to a karting race ( i was invited for free :D ) and i can say it is really fun, i highly recommend this to all the fan of car sport, try to go there for free because otherwise it is so expensive :cry:.
but definitely i stick with chess and pingpong, i'm surprised mr Er-Chaser didn't mention these sports as these are really perfect for lazy guys :rolleyes:

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Temujin said:
I watch a little Union if it is international, but the main game here is Aussie rules footy
We saw a report about it on French TV, very strange one, but it seems very popular on your "small island" :D

Der wanderFindItFun