What is your favorite war movie?

Rince

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
Yes, Waterloo exists on DVD. I bought it in HMV or Virgin in London some time ago.
The picture and sound quality are ok, but don't expect anything near a new movie, although the box-cover states Dolby Digital and Quad surround. It is 1:2,35 ratio picture but has been enhanced for 16:9 widescreen TVs.

...oh yes, how could I oversee: Orson Welles plays Louis XVIII!

Tex

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have the Director's Cut version of the DVD, but apparently Das Boot was first shown to German audiences as an 8-hour TV mini-series. Wondering if it was ever shown in the English speaking world.

Speaking of Waterloo, I read that one of Stanley Kubrick's projects on the back-burner was a film on Napoleon. Considering his great battle scene in Spartacus and an well shot short scene in Barry Lyndon, it would've been interesting to see how he handled Waterloo, Austerlitz, etc.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Originally posted by Tex
I have the Director's Cut version of the DVD, but apparently Das Boot was first shown to German audiences as an 8-hour TV mini-series. Wondering if it was ever shown in the English speaking world.

Speaking of Waterloo, I read that one of Stanley Kubrick's projects on the back-burner was a film on Napoleon. Considering his great battle scene in Spartacus and an well shot short scene in Barry Lyndon, it would've been interesting to see how he handled Waterloo, Austerlitz, etc.
Re the 8 hour TV version.....yes it was on TV over here some years ago, probably on Britain's channel 4 or BBC 2.

Alvis_Striker

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Das Boot in English on DVD

Originally posted by Tex
Does anybody know if there is an English subtitled version of the 8-hour TV version of Das Boot?
Yes Tex, you can buy it on DVD in English, or change it to German with Subtitles (which is better).

Originally posted by John Paul
alvis you are correct about the destruction of varus legions in the wald.The movie though takes place several hundred years later,and the romans came back with a vengeance.Parts of Germany were under the control of rome at that time,and their limes(defensive frontier)was eventualy established on the Danube.Marcus put a big hurt on the germans,just his succesors could never match him.I was more suprised to see what looked like a spangehelm in the scene where their picking equipment for their bout,more than anything else.The Movie did seem to do a good job depicting combat in the battle scene,from equipment(both roman and german)to the wild rush of the barbarians and the roman use of field artillery. [/B]
The Ancient Germans fought as tribes, mostly against each other, however they did not simply rush into an attack against an enemy, they were and fought like every other Celtic People.

They used three ranks of foot, the front rank was the best warriors in their prime, second rank came the novices, and behind them to keep them from running came the veterans. It was very rare for the Romans to use Horsemen to attack also, they advanced rarely, only if attacking a defnsive fortification. They fought in ranks too, with the front rank throwing thier Pilums (light Javalins which bent upon impact with anything, to stop them being thrown back) early, then fighting with short-sword. All the while the rear ranks threw Pilum after Pilum into the enemy until they broke. The War Machines used were mainly for defence inside established forts. However in the film I did like the sight of the Incendiary 'ammo', pots filled with burning oil, very nasty.

The Romans did conquer most of Germany and crossed the Danube once, to be fought back by the Dacians (losing lots of men again) however this was the very end of the Roman Empires reign, as the Dacians, Huns, and Visigoths attacked the Romans while they were depleted from thier campaign in Dacia.

a few more films I forgot to mention.....

Braveheart.... great fight scenes, not too historically correct, for instance the English Northern Army did not wear any uniform (in the flick it is Red and Orange), Uniforms in England only came about when Oliver Cromwell made his New Model Army in the Civil War. Also the Battle of Stirling was not a pitched battle as the film sees, it was fought more as a mass ambush by William Wallace and his troops, the English were busy deploying from Stirling castle when he struck, catching 1/4 of the English on one side of the bridge, while the rest could only cross 2-4 at a time, the scots picked off the English Knights (though mostly men-at-arms) at their leisure. It is intresting to note the use of the English longbow in the film by King Edward (it is Edward ain't it?), he then went on to fight the French out of Northern France using the tactics he learned while fighting the Scots.

Tigerland...... brilliant film, Full metal Jacket type, going through training, and although this one doesn't go into Vietnam it certainly shows that the young men going to fight in South East Asia didn't exactly relish the chance to go and fight for their country.

The Patriot..... (Mel Gibson War of Independance, not Steven Seagal against the world) brilliant film, excellent Uniforms, not sure about its Historical Correctness, or exactly what Battle is fought at the end.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Re: Oh so many.....

Cross of Iron.... only film i've actually seen T-34's in action, also Uniforms and Equipment are fantastic. However the book is even better by Willi Heinrich.

Waterloo.... Best battle scenes for any Napoleonic film iv'e seen, Austerlitz film was dissapointing, though did have good uniforms and was historically correct.

Cross of Iron.... A great book!....just finished reading it a few weeks ago.

Waterloo was very well done, great battle scenes and historically accurate enough. My cousins uncle Danny O'Herlihy played Marshal Ney in it, though I have never met him myself.

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You got me on the way the germans fought,though they did do a good job on their equipment.The Germans had a few well armed warriors and the rest would usually fight with whatever was at hand including Sharpened sticks.My impression was the Romans were advancing out to battle from a prepared posistion,in the movie,which in that case would explain the use of field artillery.I'm not sure about the use of fire arrows though.The Romans usually had several hundred calvary in each legion,though this number grew in the later years of the empire. I think the germans are considered distinct from the celts,different language,different customs,etc.The calvary charge was one of the few parts of the battlescene i didn't like,How the hell were those guys behind the germans!The germans usually fought with large proportion of calvary,but none is shown in the movie.Their infantry
and calvary fought as a team.
The eight hour version of das boot is also available on vhs,my dad
picked up a copy from the local libary,and expected me to sit there and watch it!the last time i visited him.

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh braveheart

Sorry one other little fact that was overlooked in the movie was the fact that the scottish knights such as Wallace were equiped similarly to their english counterparts,though its more dramatic for them to be shown as ill equiped.the movie also ignored Wallace's exile onto the mainland,going from France To the Vatican to drum up support for the Scots.I thought the movie was okay but they changed a perfectly good true story,and dramatic, too much for my liking.It was too hollywoodfied.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Maddog

Does anyone know if the Waterloo movie mentioned above is available on DVD? I saw it once a very long time ago and have never found it since.
The Waterloo DVD can be bought atwww.warshows.com

But it wont play on region 1 DVD players

Hope that helps Maddog

Tim

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mine are:
dirty dozen
force ten from navrone
any war movie with Kirk Douglas or Richard Burton or Gregary Peck
:jack:

Alvis_Striker

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Re: Oh braveheart

Sorry one other little fact that was overlooked in the movie was the fact that the scottish knights such as Wallace were equiped similarly to their english counterparts,though its more dramatic for them to be shown as ill equiped.the movie also ignored Wallace's exile onto the mainland,going from France To the Vatican to drum up support for the Scots.I thought the movie was okay but they changed a perfectly good true story,and dramatic, too much for my liking.It was too hollywoodfied.
One more thing is that William Wallace was from the low-lands of Scotland, not the Highlands, therfore he never wore a kilt!

Jade Goody>>>>>>> :pig:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Gladiator vs Braveheart

I prefer Braveheart ----- Gladiator was a great movie until the scene that darked out when the Roman legions closed up toward Russell (I could never remember the name in the movie :D) ---- at the time I thought that was the end of it and I cheered for the movie deep in heart. It was perfect ----- before I saw then the rediculous came up ----- out of jail, stabbed by the stupid emperor on the back and eventually most of all, killed that sucker... oh jesus... I just do not know how much Holleywood was willing to reach far to please the audience. The great thing they did not do in Braveheart was "let William Wallace won the war, capture london and marry the princess" .... thank god!

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Originally posted by Maddog

That's Ran. Good movie.

Well, I really get confused now ! I believed it was Kagemusha. But it’s a good occasion to see these movies again.

There is another very good film : When Eagles Dare, with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton. They must go to Bavarian Moutains and eliminate some treators, if I’m not wrong. The movie end with a big fight in a castle and in a cable car station.

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Gladiator vs Braveheart

Originally posted by ER_Chaser
I prefer Braveheart ----- Gladiator was a great movie until the scene that darked out when the Roman legions closed up toward Russell (I could never remember the name in the movie :D)
They were called the Praetorian guard,the biggest bunch of cutthroats and king makers that ever lived.They were formed as an elite,and also as a bodyguard for the emporer.It was illegal for roman troops to be stationed in the city,and these guys were a way around that.if you paid them off enough you might just live awhile longer,until a better offer came around.

As for braveheart,i can deal with Gladiator's inconsitincies it doesn't claim to be historical,they basically rewrote history from top to bottom in that one.BTW Alvis,i think i have the timeframe for gladiator mixed up,sorry about the post.Its set in 80 AD isn't it?

Whats up with the gay(not that theres anything wrong with that) smilies:love: ?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Gladiator vs Braveheart

Whats up with the gay(not that theres anything wrong with that) smilies:love: ?
Some people will probably get more use out of those than others I guess...:clown:

Eric Weider

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question

Does anybody know the name of that war movie starring Humphrey Bogart where he is holed up in a fort in north africa with a rag tag group of soldiers and the italians are attacking? not really what i would call a war movie but a great film in a war setting.

Radbabe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Question

Originally posted by Keef
Does anybody know the name of that war movie starring Humphrey Bogart where he is holed up in a fort in north africa with a rag tag group of soldiers and the italians are attacking? not really what i would call a war movie but a great film in a war setting.
That sort of sounds like the movie titled "Sahara". I think Bogart is a DAT,uh I mean tank commander in Libya or something like that.But I think they are fighting the germans-I vaguely remember something about the Battle of Tobruk-But don't quote me I don't know anything about war history.:confused: