What is your favorite war movie?

Major Mojo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I liked Band of Brothers a lot. Watched every episode when it came from TV last summer, now I'm thinking to buy it's DVD-version :)

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Originally posted by Maddog
Speaking of Zulu Dawn, is this movie available on DVD? I only saw it once a very long time ago and it seemed good to me at the time.

What about 55 Days in Peking? That was a good one too.
55 Days in Peking......great film!...mind you I was about 10 when I saw it with my cousin. ( He emigrated to Australia years ago!) and the Cinema where we saw it has long since been knocked down. Don't know how it would stand up to a second viewing but usually those films you thought were great as a kid turn out to be a disappointment 2nd time round. Still 'Ben Hur' and 'Spartacus' have stood the test of time well.

craine

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry about the lateness of my reply!

Have to agree with most of the titles, but there is one movie no one mentioned. 'Breaker Morant'. I remember seeing this movie on HBO or Showtime during the 80's. I was at the age of pushing cardboard counters around, thinking War was a glorious thing! Seeing those Aussie soldiers being screwed over 'for the greater good' kinda cleaned my head of that sh*t. I still play and enjoy war games but I know that I'm playing a game.

I think that 'Breaker Morant' should be required viewing and 'The Forgotten Soldier' be required reading for our non-military serving politicians.

Quick edit---- I know that talking about Guy Sajer's Forgotten Soldier can start a flame war. Just spend a few moments reading and check out this site. It has both sides of the dispute. http://www.members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/sajer.htm

Last edited:

Alvis_Striker

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Band of Brothers & ANZAC's

HI all, Band of Brothers was fantastic, action scenes were amazing and kept up well with the book.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen or even heard of a series like Band of Brothers which came out in Britain in the 80's, it was A.N.Z.A.C (Australian, New Zealand Army Corps) and it detailed a unit of Australians and New Zealanders during WW1, I can't really remember much about it (I was only 10 or so) but I remeber it being fantastic, one of the things which got me hooked on warfare, I remember one part of the series had two brothers (i think), they fought all the way through until in one of the last episodes, during the German breakthrough's of 1918, one of the brothers was injured and got hooked up on a load of Barbed-wire, anyway a German MG team set-up and ripped him apart, his brother saw this and I think he went mad and began killing loads of Germans, going out at night with a sharpened en-trenching tool and bayonet (13'' bayonet!) and cutting up Germans for fun.

Or was that one of my nightmares? War really f###s me up sometimes!

Headshot

Reaction score
about movies. I know im going out on a limb but it may be historically horendous, but Battle of the bulge is fun to watch. Oh and PATTON is the best bio/war movie.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
There are a lot of good ones, but some of the top ones (in no particular order):

Saving Private Ryan
A Bridge Too Far
Gettysburg
Ran
Das Boot

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Highly recommend this movie to anybody's list as well. Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War

Starz had the new Russian Stalingrad movie on the other night. Jump in the middle of it - wow, that movie is horrible.

JOKippe

Also known as The Rat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some of my favorites:

Apocalypse Now: I consider it the greatest film of all time, of any genre. I'd have to say that I prefer the 2001 version to the "Redux" version, simply because a lot of the cut scenes needed to be refilmed (for example, the monsoon scene proved that Playboy bunnies just aren't good actresses.) Then again, the pre-2001 version had the original apocalypse ending which Coppola wrongly changed his mind about. My ultimate cut would use parts of all 3 versions, with maybe a few of the other leftover scenes (from the "Complete Dossier" set) as well.
Tora Tora Tora: Great use of miniatures (looks better than a lot of "state of the art" CGI used today!) and does an excellent job of telling both sides of the event.
Hamburger Hill: As far as Viet Nam flicks go, I liked this better than "Full Metal Jacket". It covered everything about the conflict that needed to be covered, and had a great score by Glass as well.
El Alamein: The Line of Fire: A well-done and honest look at what it was like to be the Italians in a North African no-win situation.
Zulu: I was never a big fan of this until I finally saw the widescreen version on DVD. Wow, great casting, great script and great cinematography.
The Guns of Navarone: I thought it was so much better than some of the other "epic" films that came before it ("The Longest Day") and after it ("A Bridge Too Far"), mostly because it was properly cast and not filled with a random bag of big names just to impress people. I don't care that it was mostly fictitious.
Gettysburg: An almost perfect and well-rounded look at the battle. "Gods and Generals" really suffers when compared to this masterpiece.
Das Boot: Tops all of the other submarine flicks by a longshot. Great sound design too. I'd love to see the even longer version of it someday.
Thin Red Line: Man, it's just a beautiful and brilliant film. And it's not for everybody, so it's okay if you don't get it.

I feel like I'm leaving one or two out that I should mention...