What is your favorite war movie?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm looking to expand my my collection of war movies and am wondering what are your favorites. My current favorite is Winter War. Ive never seen real t-26's before that movie.:ar15:

Last edited:

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll second a bridge too far.
Not really a war movie,well it is and isn't,Kelly's Heroes.
BlackHawk Down was good,so was the book.
If its out for retail,Band of Brothers series.
Guadacanal Diary.
The original All quite on the western front,not the remakes.
Hell is for heroes.
Full metal jacket.
Hamburger Hill,this is a good movie.

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Almost forgot

when trumpets fade.This is an often overlooked movie.
It depicts the 28th 'Pennsylvania' Infantry Divisions bloody assault
into the Huertegen(sp?)Forest.Ron Eldard stars as a soldier who just wants to survive the war,and instead keeps getting greater responsibility thrown on his shoulders.I don't know about the historical accuracy of the scenes,but its somewhat of an anti-war movie,and the main character really goes through some changes
during the movie.After watching the movie you can see why the division earned the name "Bloody Bucket".(This nickname was originaly because the divisions patch was a keystone,Tthe state symbol,on a red background.)though i may be biased to this movie,for some reason :rolleyes:

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't yet seen Black Hawk Down or any of the the new ones, but of the ones I have seen, I rate them as follows:

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Cross of Iron
3. Gettysburg
4. Das Boot
5. A Bridge Too Far
6. Enemy At the Gates
7. Zulu

Scipio

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
1) Thin red line
2) When trumpets fade
3) All quite on the Western front (the original from 1928)

Popester

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In no particular order:

Zulu- Hopefully the DVD release this fall will be quality unlike the cheap one first put out.
Blackhawk Down
A Bridge Too Far
12 O'Clock High
Saving Private Ryan

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
no naval movie in your minds?

Midway
(all the best stunning memory from my childhood, I started to admire carriers since then.)

Also, how about Star Wars? though I am not sure if you can put them as War movie .... but that War definitely hit my mind :D

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was never a fan of The Thin Red Line. It wasn't one of my favorites because it had too much "in head" talk and not enough external substance.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
1) Cross Of Iron: Made in the late 70's, it is an excellent movie in which authentic equipment is used on both sides. It is actually an anti war movie, but is full of good battle scenes. It is set on the Eastern Front in the Crimear, and focuses on a Sgt. Steiner and his platoon. Steiner hates the war and lets his superiors know it, but he is an experienced veteren soldier and does his duty. A superior officer dislikes Steiner because he will not lie to help him get an Iron Cross, and so when the Division pulls back, he fails to inform Steiner and his platoon, leaving them to be slaughtered. The men wake up to the sound of T-34s and waves of Russian infantry assailing their position. Some manage to escape and strugle to catch up with their comrades.

2) Stalingrad: This movie is also an older one, and is actually in German with English subtitles. It depicts an Army Assault Battalion which is sent to the hell of Stalingrad. Lots of realistic combat.

3) Zulu Dawn: A movie about the British Defeat at the hands of the Zulu at the Battle of Isandluwana

Last edited:

Tex

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bridge Too Far
Great Escape
Das Boot
Saving Private Ryan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Speaking of RAN, Has anyone seen the movie Heaven & Earth.
Not the Tommy Lee Jones movie, but the one about Japan warlords in the sixteenth century. I love that movie for its epic battles. Can't find it anywhere except Belle & Blades web site and they wan 250.00 for their used collectors copy

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Maddog
Here are a few more.

Enemy at the Gates - Not really a true war movie, it's more of an action/drama. It does have some interesting scenes of the destruction of Stalingrad.

Last of the Mohicans - Has several good battle scenes between the British, American militia, French, and various Indian tribes.

Ran - More of a political drama, this Japanese movie has some excellent battle scenes between fueding clans.
Wasn't there two movies,an old 30's version and the newer one, based upon the last of the mohicans?
I'd also recomend Drums along the Mohawk as a good colonial era
movie.The chase scene through the countryside is good.
Rogers Rangers,another good French and Indian war movie.
one movie i would like to see made in that time period is the destruction of Braddocks Army along the banks of the monongahela River by a force of french and indians.it involved a whos-who of the coming revolution,including washington and Cage.

Major Banned

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Maddog
Here are a few more.

Enemy at the Gates - Not really a true war movie, it's more of an action/drama. It does have some interesting scenes of the destruction of Stalingrad.

Last of the Mohicans - Has several good battle scenes between the British, American militia, French, and various Indian tribes.

Ran - More of a political drama, this Japanese movie has some excellent battle scenes between fueding clans.
All Quiet on the Western Front-and I don't mean the one with Richard Thomas in it. I mean the original.

Apocalypse Now

Cross of Iron-They used real T-34's in this movie.

Rince

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
These are the movies I have seen quite a few times and am always ready to put into my DVD player, in no particular order:

The Longest Day, based on the book by Cornelius Ryan. Some of the material used is not authentic, still a good movie.

Waterloo, a Dino de Laurentiis film with Rod Steiger and Christopher Plummer...the best battle-scenes of the era!

Das Boot, a Wolfgang Petersen film. If you ever wanted to know how those guys in their steel-coffins lived, that's the movie to see. Ever seen the straights of Gibraltar in live? When I was standing there, I began to realize for the first time what it REALLY meant for those u-boat men to cross it. Their guts are unsurpassed!

Patton. Having read Omar Bradleys book, I began to appreciate the movie because only then I realized how realistic the movie was.

A bridge too far. When the ground attack begins, and the arty is starting to pound on the german lines: that's is one of my all-time best scenes in war-movies. To hear the "thumping", the swoosh and to see the exploding forest...

The Bridge at Remagen. As a kid I must have seen a hundred times, I could even tell my brother (10 years older) into driving with me up to that bridge on the Rhine. Maybe just nostalgic, but I like it.

Stalingrad from Joseph Vilsmaier. German movie, very realistic and no non-sense story like in Enemy at the Gates.

Glory. Again, epic battle scenes of splendid grandeur.

Gettysburg, you won't find anything more true to reality! Please correct me on this one, I am no American and so I might be wrong on this.

...oops...not to forget my last acquisition:
Black Hawk Down, not as good as the book but still a VERY intensive movie.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nobody has mention a favorite of mine;

Sergeant York!

I also like;
Gettysburg,
A Bridge Too Far,
The Longest Day,
"Kelly's Heroes" is also a fun "war" movie.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've loved the movie In Harms Way with Kirk Douglas and John Wayne. Fictional story but real good. Well acted.

"We're in another war...A gut bustin' mother lovin' Navy war." Kirk Douglas from In Harms Way

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Favorite War films:

Das Boot ( TV version 8 hours long IIRC)
Lawrence of Arabia
War and Peace (western version)
Zulu
Paths of Glory ( Stanley Kubrick’s )
The Blue Max ( WW1 air combat)

Oh, almost forgot!…Spartacus!

I agree with most of the postings here anyway.

LaPalice

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hello,

Here my favorite movies :

Apocalypse Now.
Full Metal Jacket.
Band of Brothers serie.
Land and Freedom.
Cross of Iron.
Ran, and more particullary Kagemusha (it’s peharps Heaven and Earth in english).

I saw The Longest Day (is it the good title ?, with John Wayne, Robert Mitchum…) when I was a child, with my grandparents. I played several times the Landing with my little plastic soldiers. I still like it a lot.
And this movie with Lee Marvin, where he takes 12 bad guys from a jail for a commando operation in Normandy, but I don’t remember the exact title.

There is a French movie about the Resistance, very good and realistic : L’Armée des Ombres (something like Shadow Army or Army of Shadows in english). Is it known outside France ? In this movie a resistance network try to survive in the town of Lyon and must do a lot of dirty job, like the execution of a young traitor. Nothing heroic but the real existence of this guy during the war.

I saw a Russian movie about the German occupation in Byelorussia and Partisans. The French title is Requiem for a Slaughter. It’s a very hard movie. For exemple, in a scene the anti-partisan German soldiers, with hiwis, push the inhabitants of a village in a barn, and then burn down it. The director built and showed very well the horror of such a scene. I think this movie is the hardest I ever seen about the war.