What is your Current Miniatures Project?

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have not been around for a while so forgive my tardiness in responding. DANG Ian!!! That board looks amazing. Did you do the board yourself? That's the biggest appeal of 6mm/10mm for me. You can actually maneuver on the field. Among the many things I hate about FoW is the Parking lot appearance of the games. That and I just can't stand armor bunched up together, arrghhh! So many game designer so understand that a wheeled or tracked vehicles mobility is as much a weapon as the gun/main armament. No matter what scale I have gamed I've always tried to leave plenty of room to maneuver to the flanks or rear of the enemy. Wow, just like in real battles, how quaint!Anyway, would be very interested in knowing how your game went Ian. Any pics would be a bonus.
I had been going crazy painting Infinity figs for a couple months. I have a large number of unpainted/unassembled figures that are driving me crazy. Managed to get about 30 done in a couple months. Now on a WW2 kick painting up some German grenadiers and some Japanese. Also doing some Pacific style terrain, some jungle stuff, and a couple log bunkers and a log bunker complex. Did a couple 'native' huts and such that came out fairly cool. Need some painted up Japanese so I can get a game on. Thanks for all the updates gang. Will see about getting some pics up.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have not been around for a while so forgive my tardiness in responding. DANG Ian!!! That board looks amazing. Did you do the board yourself? That's the biggest appeal of 6mm/10mm for me. You can actually maneuver on the field. Among the many things I hate about FoW is the Parking lot appearance of the games. That and I just can't stand armor bunched up together, arrghhh! So many game designer so understand that a wheeled or tracked vehicles mobility is as much a weapon as the gun/main armament. No matter what scale I have gamed I've always tried to leave plenty of room to maneuver to the flanks or rear of the enemy. Wow, just like in real battles, how quaint!Anyway, would be very interested in knowing how your game went Ian. Any pics would be a bonus.
I had been going crazy painting Infinity figs for a couple months. I have a large number of unpainted/unassembled figures that are driving me crazy. Managed to get about 30 done in a couple months. Now on a WW2 kick painting up some German grenadiers and some Japanese. Also doing some Pacific style terrain, some jungle stuff, and a couple log bunkers and a log bunker complex. Did a couple 'native' huts and such that came out fairly cool. Need some painted up Japanese so I can get a game on. Thanks for all the updates gang. Will see about getting some pics up.
Thanks for the comments. Still not played the actual battle through though today we are playing one last rule test with about 100 units per side before we move onto Waterloo so should get it done soon.

Love to see some of your figures again, especially as I have a load of 10mm WWII to do for a mate at some point

Ian

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Ian, good to hear from you. I do WW2 in 15mm for '40 France and '43 East front and 25mm for skirmish western Europe and Pacific. My 10mm collection is 1809 campaign on the Danube and Italy. Years ago I had quite a significant collection of 6mm WW2 but traded it off for the scale change to 15s. I will try to get some pics posted in the next week or so. Good luck with the Waterloo play, wish I could be there myself.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
P.S. Dropzone has a Mad Max/Orky themed faction just released. Have to say, Dropzone looks like a good alt. for Epic.
Sounds like you have quite a bit of work ahead. Good luck. Let us know where you stand now. I've caught quite a few reviews, previews, replays... on the Dropzone Commander game and it really looks amazing. Plus the developers seem to support their game fully, which is always nice to see. There is a ton of stuff, videos, interviews... on Beasts of War. Whatever you like I think the BoW website can be a great place to check out. They are really expanding the coverage of WH40K and now have a dedicated editor for the game. I'm not very knowledgeable about the Games Workshop stuff but heard that they are planning to redo the Middle Earth stuff, so not really abandoning it, so the rumor goes. Anyway, keep us up to date on your projects.
Ian, what happened with your Waterloo games, did they go well? Hope so. Let us know.
As for me, I've been trying to get a couple bunker complexes done. One for the Germans and one for the Japanese. Laid down a foam core on some mdf, then got them painted up and a bit of texture on the ground. Put wood planking for support on the walls leading into the German bunker and am now laying some dirt on the ground of the trench/entry to the bunker. Next I'll be doing the ground cover surrounding the bunker. Will try to get a photo or 2 up of my progress thus far. Of course I said that a few months ago and never did so don't hold your breath. Good luck to all on your projects.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Put together 2 Warlord plastic halftracks and am getting the paint down. The Warlord kits are nice, very simple and good detail for a tabletop gaming unit. I got the 251/1c model. Wish Warlord would do a plastic squad model for passengers, would be nice to be able to tell if the 1/2 track was loaded or the squad deployed. I'm also thinking of getting another and bashing it into a 251/9 Stummel with the short 75mm. Also continuing to work on my bunkers. Have decided to do the Japanese one in jungle terrain. Had been torn between jungle and beach. But I did a bunch of jungle terrain clusters a while back so am sticking with that theme. Should be fun to game with. Ian, are you out there brother? Would like to hear what you've been up to. Hope all is well. How about all you other minis gamers out there. You all gaming/modelling? Whats up?

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Put together 2 Warlord plastic halftracks and am getting the paint down. The Warlord kits are nice, very simple and good detail for a tabletop gaming unit. I got the 251/1c model. Wish Warlord would do a plastic squad model for passengers, would be nice to be able to tell if the 1/2 track was loaded or the squad deployed. I'm also thinking of getting another and bashing it into a 251/9 Stummel with the short 75mm. Also continuing to work on my bunkers. Have decided to do the Japanese one in jungle terrain. Had been torn between jungle and beach. But I did a bunch of jungle terrain clusters a while back so am sticking with that theme. Should be fun to game with. Ian, are you out there brother? Would like to hear what you've been up to. Hope all is well. How about all you other minis gamers out there. You all gaming/modelling? Whats up?
Glad to see you back on the ASL pages.

Black Tree Miniatures do crews for the 251, not sure if they will fit the Warlord version, I would drop them a line. Best join their customer base and wait for discounts on the figures you want, best sales have WWII infantry at 50% off!!!

Here is the latest project to be started, 15mm Old Glory SYW, Prussians of course.

View attachment 53314

and finished this week two more 96 figure phalanx's

View attachment 53313

Just doing the finish on two guns for my Prussians, still yet to start any cavalry

Ian

Last edited:

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice Ian, good to be back in the ASL side here. Been trying to get the PTO down and do a scen or two. I really like the SYW minis you've done. Always had an interest in the period but never made the jump. There are a couple companies doing the era in 10mm which would make it easy for me, I already have scenery, buildings and such for my Nappies. Going to have to think on that.
View attachment 53365
Here is a pic(finally) of a couple Warlord plastic Germans I recently did. Put them on rubble bases and like how they look. I know the Black tree minis, they are nice, never noticed they did crews. I had thought I would do what I had done with my micro collection when I had it. I had sawn off a few infantry at the waist, glued them to a small bit of plasticard the size of the passenger compartment in the 250/251 1/2 tracks then when they were loaded you could tell and remove them when the infantry deployed. Liked it and it worked well. I don't think it would be hard to do with 28's. Most likely wouldn't be able to fit the full complement of figures in but the effect would still be cool I think. Plus you can usually find Warlord or other leftovers on EBAY.
Are your ancients 6mm? They look nice and I always liked the smaller scales for that mass look. Take care buddy, and thanks for the welcome.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nice Ian, good to be back in the ASL side here. Been trying to get the PTO down and do a scen or two. I really like the SYW minis you've done. Always had an interest in the period but never made the jump. There are a couple companies doing the era in 10mm which would make it easy for me, I already have scenery, buildings and such for my Nappies. Going to have to think on that.
View attachment 53365
Here is a pic(finally) of a couple Warlord plastic Germans I recently did. Put them on rubble bases and like how they look. I know the Black tree minis, they are nice, never noticed they did crews. I had thought I would do what I had done with my micro collection when I had it. I had sawn off a few infantry at the waist, glued them to a small bit of plasticard the size of the passenger compartment in the 250/251 1/2 tracks then when they were loaded you could tell and remove them when the infantry deployed. Liked it and it worked well. I don't think it would be hard to do with 28's. Most likely wouldn't be able to fit the full complement of figures in but the effect would still be cool I think. Plus you can usually find Warlord or other leftovers on EBAY.
Are your ancients 6mm? They look nice and I always liked the smaller scales for that mass look. Take care buddy, and thanks for the welcome.
Those guys look excellent. I also like your base work, the matt effect ticks my boxes, looks like a supper matt bringing the full colour out.

Yes the ancients are Baccus, painted 960+ of these phalanx figures each one needs a brush bristle glueing in their hands. Just another 960 to go and I have my target

Ian

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Ian, thanks for the compliments. 960 done 960 to go! Not sure I could do that anymore. As I'm getting older it seems painting is becoming a real chore. I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. But I do enjoy basing, especially the multi figure base, with a gun or mortar/mg. I never used to like doing the little diorama like stands. Crazy how much one changes with the application of age. Wish this section of the forum was more active with more participants. Like your stuff Ian and always good to hear what you're up to. Excuse me, I have to go chase some kids off my lawn.

Browning

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those are some good looking Germans Bill. Are you now playing Bolt Action? Check out their German Grenadiers, they are a improvement over the base German figures.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Chuck, nice to see you around my friend. Yeah I got a deal I could not refuse on the 'D-Day' starter from Warlord and thought what the heck. I had been doing WW2 in 15mm but got to the point that they no longer interested my and my eyesight is getting poorer so I made the leap. I gave away a lot of my 15's and like I said got a great deal on the Starter kit. Have picked up some different manufacturers since, some Black Tree, some Artizan and Company B vehicles. Am having fun with it and can actually see it. I'm not doing the BA rules though. Just too many gamey things for me, spoiled by ASL I think. So what have you been up to? You and family are well I hope. Spent last summer painting a bunch of Infinity figures, 24 done, and am hoping to do the same this summer. Plus get in some gaming with my wife and daughter.

Browning

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree BA does have issues but it's fast and easy to learn. So what rules are you using? I would love to see more of your work my friend cause those Germans look good. Post some of your Infinity stuff.

Trying to get the kids into dirt bikes so we can have some outdoor time since they won't game with me. :) I've convinced one to try it but the other I'm not so sure. As soon as she learns there is sweating involved she'll quickly go inside with the AC. You are a lucky man to have your family game with you. Till next time my friend...by the way love your hash line.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Chuck. Thanks for your comments, love the good ol' Texas boys. I've been using Rules of engagement, like them a lot, and Disposable Heroes Coffin for 7 Brothers, good but some of the expansions covering nationalities are oop. I've heard some good things about Look Sarge, No Charts but have not yet tried them myself and also have not tried my home brew rules with 28mm. I have used my home rules for 6mm, 10mm, and 15mm and they worked fairly well, but not sure about 28.
I like riding bikes, dirt, street, track, and think maybe once the kids get on them they'll find how much they like them and the freedom they can afford. I've not been riding for a while but know that there's nothing like it.
Will try to get some more pics up, don't have a good history doing so tho. How about some more pics of your stuff, liked the Germans you put up a while back. Always good to visit with you buddy, take care.

Browning

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who doesn't love ZZ Top?

I'll check out those rules and see which one we like, thanks for the heads up. My work is "meh" as I hadn't touched a brush or a hobby knife in over 10 years. A friend went to the D-Day museum in New Orleans and came back with the D-Day boxed set from Warlord games, showed them to me and something clicked. Knocking the rust off my hobby knife I assembled and painted a couple squads per side and two vehicles - actually he had 2 different boxed sets. Regardless I was hooked. Found a deal online and ordered the US boxed set. I am in gaming nerd / modeler heaven. The only down side is that I need to get some more paint as a majority of my stuff came over on the Mayflower.

This evening I'm going to check out a used TTR. I'll keep you posted.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Who doesn't love ZZ Top?

I'll check out those rules and see which one we like, thanks for the heads up. My work is "meh" as I hadn't touched a brush or a hobby knife in over 10 years. A friend went to the D-Day museum in New Orleans and came back with the D-Day boxed set from Warlord games, showed them to me and something clicked. Knocking the rust off my hobby knife I assembled and painted a couple squads per side and two vehicles - actually he had 2 different boxed sets. Regardless I was hooked. Found a deal online and ordered the US boxed set. I am in gaming nerd / modeler heaven. The only down side is that I need to get some more paint as a majority of my stuff came over on the Mayflower.

This evening I'm going to check out a used TTR. I'll keep you posted.
I was out of the hobby for about 15 years, the rust does come off after awhile LOL

Try Vallejo paints as they do a number of WWII uniform colours that work really well. Also Company B do some very small and excellent decals for helmets, flags for arms and rank insignia that go on really well to the American figures

Ian

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Ian, always good to hear from you. The decals add so much to the figures, really makes them pop. I don't know if what I have is Co B. But I have US, and German uni insignia, including the 29th Inf. Div. insignia, which is the unit I model for my US troops. I do 2nd Panzer Div. for my Germans.
The Vallejo paints are excellent. I use them quite a bit but it depends what I'm painting also. I always use a wet palette also. I hear you on the 'rust' there Chuck. Painting, imo, develops from repetition. For me the more I paint the better I get, sometimes it happens quickly for me, sometimes not so much. Too much painting can be bad for me. If I get tired of it I better stop or my work gets terrible. I used to love painting, not so anymore. Due to that I don't get much done. When I'm in the mood to paint I can get a lot done, and do pretty well, good tabletop quality, and I enjoy it. Last summer I was on an Infinity binge, and got quite a few figs painted. But you could see toward the end they weren't as good as when I started. Had planned to do a few French Imperial guard that some nice gentleman sent me ;-) but by the time I got to them I was just too tired of it. Plan to go on another painting binge in a week or so and am planning to mix the Frenchies in with other stuff. Still have about a hundred Infinity figs, about 75 28mm WW2 Inf. and 7 vehicles, plus another 300 10mm for my 1809 project, though these I will most likely have painted for me. Add to that the buildings/terrain/scenery I need to do for my 28mm WW2 stuff and I have quite a bit to do. With my spine issues if I get half my projects done over the summer that will have been good.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I also use a wet pallet, Vallejo works well with that. I also use 10% flow aid and 90% distilled water in a dropper bottle to thin the paint down when needed. Flow Aid or any other acrylic paint thinner works well, stops the pigment separating.

I am really lucky in that I don't often tire of painting and it actually helps me with my fatigue and general flunks from time to time. I had to chuckle regards your stash of figures. I have just under 6,000 figures in my ready racks, good job I can knock plenty out at a time. Working on three 18 figure battalions of Prussians for my new project. Also finished 96 6mm Hoplites all with different hand painted shields which leaves me none at hand for the time being. Still got a few hundred phalanx figures to paint though

Ian

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
6000 figs?! Are we to look for you to appear in the next episode of hoarders? There was a time when I would only order what I could paint in a month, then order more when those were done, not before. I never had a large stash of unpainted minis. But over the last couple years my habits have changed greatly. I guess it's due to getting older, maybe a subconscious urgency? I have always admired folks that could get a lot of painting done over a long period of time. I have a friend, he no longer paints due to failing eyesight. But when he did he kept a journal of all he painted and strove to complete a 72 figure formation every week. He did that for a good 15 years. Just after I met him he put on a Zulu game at Little wars, I think he had 7000 Zulu warriors and painted them in 3 months. Plus the British contingent. I could not believe it until I had the pleasure to visit him at his home and say those Zulu figs. Quite a remarkable undertaking to say the least, and all 25mm.
I really like a wet palette, especially helpful for the climate here. It can get hot, but mostly it is very dry, which can give me fits sometime, especially when spraying or airbrushing. I've tried a ton of stuff, from additives to humidifiers... I jusst spray at night or very early morning during the hot months and that helps.The big problem is trying to use wet blending techniques, very hard to do. Always like to hear where you're at in your projects Ian.

Whats going on with the TTR Chuck?

Browning

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm afraid to count the number of figures I have. A majority aren't historical, at least not yet, but rather fall into the RPG 25-28 mm fantasy, sci-fi, and other category. At one time I was a big 40K fan but with the various rule changes I lost interest.

Vallejo paints are AWESOME! Initially I tried Tamiya paints and while I love the field gray and OD it just couldn't compete with the ease of Vallejo bottles plus I wasn't painting a 1/35 vehicle so the smaller bottles are ideal. What is a wet palette? Is that the round ceramic bowel with the various sections?

Bill, when you finish that 54 mm "project" I want pictures...lots of pictures! Also I went to the guys house yesterday to check it out but he was not home so I rescheduled for today.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What is a wet palette? Is that the round ceramic bowel with the various sections?
A wet pallet is a plastic tray that you put a thick paper in the bottom which you wet. Then a membrane paper goes over the top that allows only a little of the water to get through (where you have paint). This keeps your acrylic paint wet (can last weeks in a sealed container).

You can try it with kitchen roll for the base layer and tracing or cooking paper etc as the membrane paper. I don't use a real pallet as they are too big. Rather a seal able small sandwich box. It has to be shallow to make easy access for the brush. Means you can use a colour and go back to it later if you need it for touch up etc.

Ian