What is your Current Miniatures Project?

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So here is a sample of what I've been doing lately. Got into Wings of Glory, used to be Wings of War, miniatures game through a trade and it has taken hold of me. Really fun game, quick to learn, and very fun.
View attachment 46816
This is a Herman Goering Albatros DIII, it is an Ares model repainted.
Have also been painting up 28mm German Infantry for my Bolt Action project and constructing 1/144 scale Valom model WW1 aircraft for Wings of Glory. So what mini projects do others have on the workbench?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So here is a sample of what I've been doing lately. Got into Wings of Glory, used to be Wings of War, miniatures game through a trade and it has taken hold of me. Really fun game, quick to learn, and very fun.
View attachment 46816
Have also been painting up 28mm German Infantry for my Bolt Action project and constructing 1/144 scale Valom model WW1 aircraft for Wings of Glory. So what mini projects do others have on the workbench?
Wow, impressive! I really need to get back into my minis. For some reason I only seem to get interested in that narrow window between November and February. Weird.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
View attachment 46816
Looks the business. Funny thing is that me and my son are also just getting into WWI Planes as well but 1/300 scale via Heroics & Ross

Here is the first one I finished last week

View attachment 46827

Keeping with 6mm here is what I finished last night, seven buildings for my Napoleonic games, this time Spain

View attachment 46828

and in 28mm from last few weeks

View attachment 46829View attachment 46830

Ian

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool Ian, always nice to have your son to game with. Mine is Married with a newborn so don't get to game with him anymore. Maybe sometime in the coming years. But my Daughter and I have been playing the Sci-fi skirmish game Infinity together and having a blast. Wife plays every now and then but finds the Aliens, or monsters as she refers to them, creepy. Fun game though.
Nice Fokker EIII there, do you find you're getting a good selection of aircraft from H&R? What rules are you using? I have always liked WW1 aviation, then just a couple months ago traded off a bunch of 15mm WW2 for the Wings of Glory rules and accessory pack and a bunch of aircraft. Been having a lot of fun with it and met some extremely nice folks on the Wings of War forum. Great place, lots of great info, gaming and historical. I have gone off the deep end though. I now have over 70 planes and there seems to be no end to the accumulation. Have even ordered aircraft from the 3D printing service "Shapeways". They do have a selection of 1/288 scale craft and maybe some 1/300. Check them out if you're interested.
I tried to put up some more pics but the files were all to large. I've got quite a few pics up at the WoW forum. Mostly Ares models that I've repainted and some 1/144 Valom plastic/photoetch kits that I've built. In the middle of building 4 SE5a aircraft right now, also Valom kits. Anyway, hope you and your son have a blast gaming in the air.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the midst of my first Tomorrow's War game. I actually started this game last year, almost to the day! :D, but then I got sick, followed by the Christmas rush, and I just never got back to it. But now I am back and working my way through the first mission that teaches the rules for infantry combat. I have to say that I am finding TW's ruleset to be a bit difficult to grasp. I am having a hard time keeping it all straight in my head. And the "diceyness" of the rules makes it all the more cumbersome. Still, I am having fun with my first skirmish.

Here is a pic of a column of DPRG troopers coming under fire as they move to take position behind a stone wall.

I am going with a "winter war" theme, so all the white, plus the snow falling from the sky. :) Technically, these minis aren't done as I never did get around to finishing the bases. I intend to add some artificial snow to them.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
In the midst of my first Tomorrow's War game. I actually started this game last year, almost to the day! :D, but then I got sick, followed by the Christmas rush, and I just never got back to it. But now I am back and working my way through the first mission that teaches the rules for infantry combat. I have to say that I am finding TW's ruleset to be a bit difficult to grasp. I am having a hard time keeping it all straight in my head. And the "diceyness" of the rules makes it all the more cumbersome. Still, I am having fun with my first skirmish.

Here is a pic of a column of DPRG troopers coming under fire as they move to take position behind a stone wall.

I am going with a "winter war" theme, so all the white, plus the snow falling from the sky. :) Technically, these minis aren't done as I never did get around to finishing the bases. I intend to add some artificial snow to them.
I use Deluxe Materials snow effects and can be found on the web at www.deluxematerials.com the BD29 Scenic Snow pack is a great pack including the glue, large flakes and very small sparkle powder that adds a frosty effect

Ian

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use Deluxe Materials snow effects and can be found on the web at www.deluxematerials.com the BD29 Scenic Snow pack is a great pack including the glue, large flakes and very small sparkle powder that adds a frosty effect

Ian
Thanks so much for the lead! I am so new to this hobby I can use all the help I can get. :D I'll check out the pack!

EDIT: they have some cool snow stuff over there! Never thought there would be a specialty line like that. :)

Cabin4clw

Reaction score
First name
Joe
Country
llUnited States
Hi,
My project is painting up 6mm Heroics and Rod Napoleonic figures. Since I'm on leave from work because of a hip replacement, I have a lot of time. So my British and French will finally get done.

Also I'm finishing up my WW2 6mm Microarmor. Redoing tanks, painting figures, and painting buildings is also on my list to do.

Joe

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,
My project is painting up 6mm Heroics and Rod Napoleonic figures. Since I'm on leave from work because of a hip replacement, I have a lot of time. So my British and French will finally get done.

Also I'm finishing up my WW2 6mm Microarmor. Redoing tanks, painting figures, and painting buildings is also on my list to do.

Joe
I'm also a 6mm Naps fan as well. Got about 50+ Battalions each of French and Prussians. Just starting my sons British and Portuguese for Command & Colors.

By just finished these 15mm Thracian's

View attachment 48666

Ian

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

Joe
Sounds like you have some great projects there. Hope you heal up well from your hip replacement. Would like to see some pics if you can. I do Nappies in 10mm. Always like looking at others work.
On the subject of snow, which I never have tried myself, I always heard that the model mates line of effects are top notch. There are a couple I'd like to try but have not yet.
Finally, my project has been working on Warlord plastic WW2 Japanese. The figures are really nicely done. There had been some complaints about the metal figures being very stereotypical, having some I would agree. The plastics however have broken that theme, imo. They are very nicely done and I have liked all the Warlord plastics so far.

Last edited:

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
A buddy of mine has been working on me for over a year to get into SAGA by studio Tomahawk. Dark Ages aren't my thing (I prefer periods where folks could read and use cutlery) so I didn't cave-in for awhile, but then I ran into Ullr the Red over at Red Box Games and my resistance was broken: http://red-box-games.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=252

So now Ullr is on my painting table to be my Warlord, some of his buddies from RBG are also there to be hearthguard and the rules and a box of Gripping Beast plastics for the rank and file are on their way. I'm still going to have to track down some archers since the GB plastics only allow slingers (which the Vikings employed very little, if at all, as far as I can tell.)

Project two is doing some terrain builds for the 25mm Samurai skirmish game I'm running this summer. The scenario is a sortie by castle defenders to destroy some siegeworks. This, of course, means I'm going to have to make some siegeworks. I'm going to experiment with scratchbuilding some gabions - but since I don't think that's going to work I"m also going to pick up a bunch of the Renedra ones. These will be incorporated into some plaster and foam earthworks, with some woodstick reinforcing walls and presto! Siegeworks. I'm also going to have to order some appropriate looking medieval artillery from Old Glory to finish out the objectives. Finally I've got a couple footbridges, marshy bits and you can never have enough woods pieces.

The last thing on the bench are a few Prussian guns for my 15mm Seven Years War collection. The local guys use Black Powder (I'm not a fan, but you use what the majority wants to use) which calls for battalion guns, so I've got to paint some up.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your story sounds so familiar. I gamed WW2 and Napoleonics exclusively for almost 45 years, never being interested in anything else, especially fantasy and sci-fi. Going through some major changes in my life changed that drastically a bit over two years ago. Now I'm doing sci-fi in 28mm, Samurai in 28mm, and looking at several other games outside my historicals slant. Never know what may grab your attention even after soooo many years so focused.
Your Samurai project sounds very cool. I have slowly been building my forces for skirmish battles. What rules are you using? I have not landed on anything in particular yet, but have a bunch of rules sets including a few free rules published in amateur magazines. Are you running the Samurai skirmish game for a club? Would like to know more about it. Thanks for sharing.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Mr Monkey :D

You could try Black Tree Design for those archers, they are a good fit with Griping Beast.

Archer units are 12 levy figures but BTD only do eight different figures as Vikings but the Anglo Danes work just as well with them so you can get different figures for all of them. I am painting up my own Viking Saga army so know them well.

Good luck and you may find you like them quite a bit once you get used to them

Ian

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the tip Custard, I'll check out the BTD figs! (I'm also eager to take a look at your ASL blog!)

Prymus: I've been hosting Samurai games for the get togethers my old gaming buddies have each summer (we've dubbed them "cottage con".) The host is the guy who first introduced me to miniature gaming (with "Tractics") 35 years ago. We use a free ruleset called "No-Dachi" you can get from the Tyneside Wargame Club webpage: http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/ These are a good set for convention style games as they're simple enough to get everyone playing quickly but involved enough to be interesting as long as you're not playing 'em all the time. View attachment 49422 A picture from last years game, and yes - I took all kinds of abuse for the toy horse! (Guaranteeing cameos for it in all future games.)

NO-Dachi uses a 'varying die-type to represent different figure/unit quality' game mechanic that was popular back in the 90's. I've added a few house rules to improve game play a bit. The games I've been running have had 6-8 figures per player and they're at a point I can call them in around 4 hours. Having said all that, I'm from the school of thought that says the rules you use are much less important that the quality of the scenario you draft. My great ambition is to run a samurai game at one of the big HMGS-East cons, just as soon as I can figure out a way to quickly set up and take down all the stuff.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Almost finished with Project Waterloo, the 16x6 foot table is 50% painted, all buildings are painted and just a couple of battalions and a cavalry regiment need painting then it's PLAYTIME

Here is a shot of last nights playtest of the attack on Hougoumont

View attachment 49851

View attachment 49852

The buildings in the distance is 6mm and has a footprint of A4 (American Legal paper size) so a bit of a beast

Ian

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the updates Ian and Monkey. Yes I am familiar with the No-Dachi rules and they are interesting. Very cool of the club to give them away also. Your "Cottge-Con" sounds like a blast.
Man Ian your project is very nice, great job. Makes me want to bust out my Austrians and French and have at it. My project is almost complete. Of course it has been almost complete for a couple years now. I am pondering sending my French and Italian Guard off to DJD to be painted, I just can't find the time to do them myself. I have purchased some DJD figs in the past and they do a very good job. My problem is pride, I love to say I've painted the figures myself. If I do that my 1809 project will be complete and I'll be able to game any engagement during the Danube campaign. I am in the midst of doing 28mm Japanese, finishing up the 28mm Germans, making trees for 28mm, painting buildings and other 28mm items, building scenery boards for the lot, and constructing vehicles. This and trying to find time to paint up 100 or so Infinity figures for my daughter and I to play with. So much to do and so little time, it seems that retirement finds me busier than when I worked.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Prymus, I recommend playing with what you have got, always gets you itching to paint up what remains LOL

I have found myself needing two more French Battalions, one cavalry regiment and a Prussian Jager battalion, these are all on the paint table and we have the big game on 19th July so will be getting LOTS of pictures.

Lee is talking something Spain for next year, Borodino for two years after and something Ancient for a future show, so 6mm will remain a major painting scale for some time to come LOL

Ian

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds great Ian, I found having a deadline usually helped to keep me on task. The Peninsula has always held my interest, though not sure why, maybe the Army sizes, maybe the great Spanish uniforms in the early years. When I was doing nappies in 15 that was my focus. But as time went by and I read more and discovered more about the Napoleonic wars it was the 1809 campaign both in Italy and along the Danube that really grabbed hold. Sold off the 15's and re-invested in 10's.
Will eagerly be awaiting your photos. Take a bunch, I'm greedy!
Finished terraining the bases for my 20 Germans and am working on the Japanese now, only 10. I have been experimenting with different methods to simulate beach on the Japanese bases. Not sure what I'll land on but the Vallejo pumice gel is looking like the leader so far. We'll have to see. Was hoping to keep it simple but it doesn't look like sand on white glue is going to be the answer.
Keep working there buddy, get those battalions painted up and VIVE L' EMPEREUR!

Last edited:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Went through my minis collection and found lots of unpainted, semi-painted, unassembled, and other models from when I was young ready for modelling. Delaque, Warmachine, Warhammer, and Warhammer 40k.

With GW killing of Warhammer Fantasy Battle completely and replacing it with WH40k 'lite' and Sigmarines, I'm scrambling to get my hands on a Lizardmen army which I was planning on building when I finished college. Sadly, I think I will also not be able to pursue the small Dark Elf army, Empire or Tomb King armies I was planning on as well. Also, apparently my FLGS decided to dump ALL of their WHFB related stuff when GW rolled out the "Age of Sigmar" and decided it was wasting shelf space :blab::bite::freak::mad:. So yeah, I'm hoping the Lizardmen battalion set stays up for another couple weeks so I can purchase it along with some hero units before GW cancels them out completely.

I also heard they're phasing out their Middle Earth stuff too! So... if it sticks around even longer! I might pick up a few of the dwarf models because I REALLY like the dwarf models casted for the ME stuff.

Also, apparently Mantic games is going to be rolling out flexible army lists for exiled WHFB players so that they can use their armies in their own fantasy setting, "Kings of War" which plays a lot faster and smoother than WHFB from what I hear. Though, after watching battle reports of both on Youtube... I like WHFB better. I feel like it has much more personality and character to the battles than KoW does. But, KoW is just starting out and has LOTS of room to grow so who knows... I just know that I'm going to be snagging the 8th Ed. rule book, the updated Lizardmen, Dark Elf, Empire, Vampire Counts, Dwarves, Brittonian, and High Elf codexes when I can. Just really loved the setting but stupidly waited until I was out of college before snapping up the rulebooks. Eh, what can you do.

P.S. Dropzone has a Mad Max/Orky themed faction just released. Have to say, Dropzone looks like a good alt. for Epic.