What is your Current Miniatures Project?

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nice minis there Blackclloud6. Do you use a spray for the semi-gloss? I usually like to use a brush on clear so I can hit some areas with a matte and some with a gloss. Not familiar with the game or minis so don't know if there would be any areas that would call for a matte finish. Nice job though, like them.
Been back to painting Infinity Combined Army and Yu Jing after spending a week away furiously working on terrain for our first game. We were going to play after church this last Sunday but the plans fell through after a pipe break at my house and 3am wake up to go fix it. Then on the way to church sunday morn had a flat and by the time I got back to dads house I just didn't feel like playing a game. So my daughter and I have plans to do one this Friday. This will be our first and we're just going to use the Quick start rules from the web. They are really easy so it should be a fun experience. Good luck with your projects everybody.
Hope the game goes well for you, we need an AAR :)

Ian

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice minis there Blackclloud6. Do you use a spray for the semi-gloss? I usually like to use a brush on clear so I can hit some areas with a matte and some with a gloss. Not familiar with the game or minis so don't know if there would be any areas that would call for a matte finish. Nice job though, like them.
Thanks. I use an airbrush to spray on the semi-gloss. It is an acrylic from Testors.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, a few pics of my Infinity project. Hope you enjoy. This has been way outside my comfort level with my usual being WW2 and Nappys. Hope you enjoy.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Ian. They were a lot of fun to paint. I have not yet developed the imagination to stray from the "official" colors but am working on that. When you paint nothing but historical figures for so long I think you lose some of that "lets try something different" spirit. When you paint thousands of minis with the goal of getting the colors historically accurate it kind of dulls that instinct. Another thing that Infinity has forced on me is this. I have spent the last 40+ years of mini gaming adhering to the promise that I would not buy more lead(tin, pewter...) until what I had on hand was painted. These minis from Corvus Belli are so nice I've purchased quite a few, without having painted up my initial order. My daughter and I each chose the factions we wanted to start with and before I had painted the starter packs for those I had made 2 more orders! I have even started us with secondary factions. And I have started 2 more factions just because I wanted to see the minis up close! Is that craziness or what!? So I have now vowed to make no further purchases until what I have on hand is painted up. Ahhh, but I do want to start my own Combined Army(the Aliens) as Julia will be taking hers with her when she leaves home. CURSE YOU CORVUS BELLI!!!!!

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks Ian. They were a lot of fun to paint. I have not yet developed the imagination to stray from the "official" colors but am working on that. When you paint nothing but historical figures for so long I think you lose some of that "lets try something different" spirit. When you paint thousands of minis with the goal of getting the colors historically accurate it kind of dulls that instinct. Another thing that Infinity has forced on me is this. I have spent the last 40+ years of mini gaming adhering to the promise that I would not buy more lead(tin, pewter...) until what I had on hand was painted. These minis from Corvus Belli are so nice I've purchased quite a few, without having painted up my initial order. My daughter and I each chose the factions we wanted to start with and before I had painted the starter packs for those I had made 2 more orders! I have even started us with secondary factions. And I have started 2 more factions just because I wanted to see the minis up close! Is that craziness or what!? So I have now vowed to make no further purchases until what I have on hand is painted up. Ahhh, but I do want to start my own Combined Army(the Aliens) as Julia will be taking hers with her when she leaves home. CURSE YOU CORVUS BELLI!!!!!
The lead mountain, I don't think any figure gamer does not have one of these!

I am breaking mine down but no way will I ever get through it all as I keep adding to it

Ian

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Ian, good to hear you do the same. I was sooo proud of myself, a false pride I suppose, for not having fallen into that trap for so long. But Corvus Belli has found my Achilles tendon! Its funny, having gamed historicals for so long and never really having a desire to do anything else, how enthralled I am with this game and these figures. I had always seen fantasy and sci-fi gaming as for the kids. I usually thought that those genres were good as they would attract younger people who would eventually see the light and make the move to historical gaming. I never thought I would do anything but historicals. I was also very proud of myself for having stayed with the 2 areas, WW2 and Nappies, without ever starting a new period. I must admit I dabbled in medieval 15mm for a short spell, but ended up trading those for more nappies. Over the last two months I have gone crazy building terrain and accumulating more figures and painting like mad. The project really has had my full attention. Anyhow, I will try to get more photos posted and perhaps a short AAR(I hate writing those) and get them up. Going to try to play a game maybe Friday after my daughter gets home from school. Might even get two games in as my wife is enjoying the game also. Unfortunately she only plays and does not paint, I could use some help painting(so I can justify buying more figures:nuts:) Take care everyone, and lets see some more pics of your projects.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow Ian, very nice, what size is the model? Great job and thanks for the photo. I've always wanted to try my hand at a larger model, like a 90mm Napoleonic figure, a post 1812 Carabinier would be nice or maybe an elite Hussar.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Wow Ian, very nice, what size is the model? Great job and thanks for the photo. I've always wanted to try my hand at a larger model, like a 90mm Napoleonic figure, a post 1812 Carabinier would be nice or maybe an elite Hussar.
Glad you like him. It's a 54mm Ultracast figure (Canadian company).

90mm now that's a big figure and Naps to boot.

I have started to paint the odd 54mm just to stretch myself.

Also about to start roleplaying again as GM so need to get a load of new miniatures to use in the future

Ian

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice, and thanks Ian. There was a gentleman that wrote a column for MWAN(Midwest Wargamers Assoc. Newsletter) on gaming in 54mm. He had,iirc, US Civil war, The Sudan, and Napoleonics. He would include a few pictures with his column. I always enjoyed it but wondered how he could afford to build those armies. That and how much space had to be used to play a decent game. I'm pressed at 10mm to get a good sized game set up. But I always try to include enough dead space to make flanking moves possible, and use correct distances between units. I usually play Corps size games and larger so end up needing a good sized table. Using 54mm nappies I would think you'd be hard pressed to go above regimental, plus appropriate support, level.
So what game are you going to GM(game master?)? Scale?

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nice, and thanks Ian. There was a gentleman that wrote a column for MWAN(Midwest Wargamers Assoc. Newsletter) on gaming in 54mm. He had,iirc, US Civil war, The Sudan, and Napoleonics. He would include a few pictures with his column. I always enjoyed it but wondered how he could afford to build those armies. That and how much space had to be used to play a decent game. I'm pressed at 10mm to get a good sized game set up. But I always try to include enough dead space to make flanking moves possible, and use correct distances between units. I usually play Corps size games and larger so end up needing a good sized table. Using 54mm nappies I would think you'd be hard pressed to go above regimental, plus appropriate support, level.
The GM'ing (yep Game Master) is a hybred campaign based on a mix if Middle Earth and the Wheel of Time. Fantasy roleplay dare I say.

Starting May 2015 me and another guy plan to fight the Battle of Waterloo (expect to take a couple of months) his table is 24 foot long!!!! were planning the battle to be 17x6 foot and will custom build the terrain. At the moment we are practising with Quarte Bras which is 5x6 foot. This will be in 6mm. It will take over two years from start to finish to paint the figures for it!!!!!

Ian

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The GM'ing (yep Game Master) is a hybred campaign based on a mix if Middle Earth and the Wheel of Time. Fantasy roleplay dare I say.

Starting May 2015 me and another guy plan to fight the Battle of Waterloo (expect to take a couple of months) his table is 24 foot long!!!! were planning the battle to be 17x6 foot and will custom build the terrain. At the moment we are practising with Quarte Bras which is 5x6 foot. This will be in 6mm. It will take over two years from start to finish to paint the figures for it!!!!!

Ian

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What game are they from?? And I haven't finished painting my Space Marines due to some issues at home but it's nice to see you enjoying the mini scene.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What game are they from?? And I haven't finished painting my Space Marines due to some issues at home but it's nice to see you enjoying the mini scene.
I am using them in Ambush Alley's Tomorrow's War. Those particular minis are from Black Hat Miniatures (ArmiesArmy). They are serving as the OpFor. Not all that happy how they turned out. I started them last year but never finished. So this year I had to resume: which meant trying to match the colors I was uisng, trying to match the wash, etc. Unfortunately, I failed on all counts, so some troops are darker, lighter, etc. Really needs to be touched up, not to mention the fact that I rushed them "out of production" because I got tired of reading about the game instead of playing it. :D

I am working on an AAR of the my first battle - the first tutorial scenario. I am only one turn in because I got sick six days ago....:angry: But the game isn't proving as complex as the manual makes it seem. Once you get in the grove, the turn went pretty quickly (a downloadable cheat sheet helped immensely, though).

EDIT: My first batch of Marines came out better:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am using them in Ambush Alley's Tomorrow's War. Those particular minis are from Black Hat Miniatures (ArmiesArmy). They are serving as the OpFor. Not all that happy how they turned out. I started them last year but never finished. So this year I had to resume: which meant trying to match the colors I was uisng, trying to match the wash, etc. Unfortunately, I failed on all counts, so some troops are darker, lighter, etc. Really needs to be touched up, not to mention the fact that I rushed them "out of production" because I got tired of reading about the game instead of playing it. :D

I am working on an AAR of the my first battle - the first tutorial scenario. I am only one turn in because I got sick six days ago....:angry: But the game isn't proving as complex as the manual makes it seem. Once you get in the grove, the turn went pretty quickly (a downloadable cheat sheet helped immensely, though).

EDIT: My first batch of Marines came out better:

Ahhhh Tomorrow's War! I forgot the name and tried remembering it last night but had no luck! And don't worry about the paint job. We all suck in the beginning ;) I assume you played by yourself?

And cheat sheets friggen rock! I use them all the time for my board games lol :D

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ahhhh Tomorrow's War! I forgot the name and tried remembering it last night but had no luck! And don't worry about the paint job. We all suck in the beginning ;)
Yeah! :D This is only my second set, but I don't think I'll be getting much better. :) My eyes are getting too old, and I was never artistically inclined anyway.

BTW: loving the paper minis scene (and the Wargame Vault! :love:)! That building and brick wall are all paper. If I had to make that stuff myself, I still wouldn't be done setting up the first game.

I assume you played by yourself?
Yes! And loving it! So nice to be able to go back to solo gaming.

And cheat sheets friggen rock! I use them all the time for my board games lol :D
I was actually somewhat shocked to see that AA didn't include one with the official rules. I mean, there is just no way in heck to remember all the rules for a minis game, and being forced to flip through the rule book constantly would be a major pain. I am glad somebody made a PDF cheat sheet and uploaded it to the AA forums. It is not complete, but at least covers 90% of the core rules.