What is your biggest (gaming) weakness ?

Polynike

Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
Kraut said:
Turn your weakness into an advantage :D I admit, I once, too, was a huge fan of endless overrun attacks, I could chase an arty up and down the map, always expecting it's evaporation ;) But now I grew a little wiser and usually only use the overrun attack to avoid the ZOC penalty of a nearby defender. That's how I get into the enemies back and achieve all those nice encircelments (note to Polynike: having an artillery unit guard a superriver without any backup is NOT a good idea, check your old FITE saves and take a close look at the Dnestr defences just south of Orsha, that's were I used the overrun attack to great effect ;) )

was the only units i had left Kraut had to do something at the least!!!!

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Polynike said:
was the only units i had left Kraut had to do something at the least!!!!
In those cases it's better to have no unit there instead of a unit that is in danger of getting overrun. With overrun-attacks the attacker gets into your back without the movement penalty due to your ZOC and without running the danger of suffering opportunity fire while sneaking past your unit.

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Kraut said:
In those cases it's better to have no unit there instead of a unit that is in danger of getting overrun. With overrun-attacks the attacker gets into your back without the movement penalty due to your ZOC and without running the danger of suffering opportunity fire while sneaking past your unit.
One of the weak parts of TOAW; lacking possibilities to sufficiently (=totally freely) breakdown units (the issue of the number of available slots in the order of battle?). In this case, as I assume, with Soviet units being overrun everywhere, lacking movement, and with a certain "due for destruction"-tag on them, realistically as a Soviet commander, you'd break down units to cover what you would want to cover (everything is not an option but the immediate flanks around a road block would be). In this case, sending a broken down battalion or regiment of infantry to secure (penalise German movement), backed by a broken down artilley battalion from an arty brigade/regiment, would be enough perhaps to deny the German player the immediate overrun, and force him to combat, losing speed. Maybe the scenarios are "balanced" just the same, but it is one thing that feels bad in TOAW for me.

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I know the generals did it, but I just cant seem to keep reserves, I have to try to learn about this, I dont mean the tac or local reserve function, I mean a strategic reserve, waiting for any unforseen developement. Its basic stuff, but I always put all my units to work, and when I try to make a 'reserve' they are always the most overworked battered remains I can find from my troops. Whom Im actually pulling out to replenish, not setting up my reserves. :confused:

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Bdr.Mallette said:
I am too compassionate.
Besides, I feel I have an advantage over everyone else, because I am, after all, Jason Mallette.
:D Ah, this one is great! How could I have missed it! Humbleness, pure and simple! Cheers! :thumup: ;)

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Martin Schenkel said:
I'm an OOB nut, so I tend to keep my forces well organized, with all units of a formation together.
My weakness is that I NEVER have cared a bit about keeping my units together. Usually when I click on the formation button, that formation will be spread far and wide. :surprise: In one recent game I did try to keep my units together (for a change) and found it overly tedious. So, I don't think I will try that again!

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mine has already been mentioned.

I'll pore over the turn with a fine tooth comb and try to figure where to move my units for hours on end, and that's for an Arracourt size scenario :nuts:

For something like DNO, it can go on for days. :D

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Dicke Bertha said:
One of the weak parts of TOAW; lacking possibilities to sufficiently (=totally freely) breakdown units (the issue of the number of available slots in the order of battle?). In this case, as I assume, with Soviet units being overrun everywhere, lacking movement, and with a certain "due for destruction"-tag on them, realistically as a Soviet commander, you'd break down units to cover what you would want to cover (everything is not an option but the immediate flanks around a road block would be). In this case, sending a broken down battalion or regiment of infantry to secure (penalise German movement), backed by a broken down artilley battalion from an arty brigade/regiment, would be enough perhaps to deny the German player the immediate overrun, and force him to combat, losing speed. Maybe the scenarios are "balanced" just the same, but it is one thing that feels bad in TOAW for me.
so you feel the 'divide into three units' function is not precise enough? Do yo mean total freedom of what units to take away from their formation, say: three rifle squads from unit x and two artillery pieces from unit z? this would be a great function to have as an option on a mini menu that would be there for extra advanced gameplay...
p.s. see my suggestions for a hypothetical toaw2 on the scenario design thread...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My weakness is a lack of patience. I also get impatient and start zooming units all over, not worrying about formations. Then I get impatient checking to see if I should attack this round or wait trying to maximize combat rounds and just end up attacking with everyone after a point.

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well, my weakness is either I don't have enough reserves, or that I commit them to battle a little too early...
Another problem is that from time to time I start pushing to deep on a small fronts and thus have my units encircled...

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
17poundr said:
so you feel the 'divide into three units' function is not precise enough? Do yo mean total freedom of what units to take away from their formation, say: three rifle squads from unit x and two artillery pieces from unit z? this would be a great function to have as an option on a mini menu that would be there for extra advanced gameplay...
p.s. see my suggestions for a hypothetical toaw2 on the scenario design thread...
No, I mean that for any unit in the order of battle it would be nice if it could be broken down into subs - as now, there is a limited number of available slots for units, thus, sooner or later you will be in a situation where you cannot break down a unit unless you first recombine another...

I don't think "developing" new composite units through breakdowns/recombinations of units would be a good idea for TOAW.