What is your biggest (gaming) weakness ?

Kraut

Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2002
Messages
1,328
Reaction score
1
Location
Germany
Country
llGermany
Come on, confess, what would you considere to be your biggest weakness as a player? For me it's certainly my addiction to micromanagement, no matter how large the scenario is (and I usually play the huge monster games), I will always hesitate where to send this single regiment, what unit has to move first to keep movement penalties due to overstacking low, where do I want to have my Schwerpunkt three turns from now and how do I need to move my forces to get them there? Before committing my units to combat I will often examine the unit-detail screen to see whether the unit has the desired equipment for this specific battle, I assign every air-wing it's specific mission instead of giving them generic CS or AS missions, every combat is planed en detail to get the most combat rounds possible, I am really anal in trying to end the turn with every unit having a HQ nearby (even though the effect is almost unnoticeable) and it's not uncommong for a DNO turn to take up to 20h of gaming time to complete (if I am fast :D )
 

Tue

Recruit
Joined
Aug 18, 2004
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Location
Copenhagen
Country
llDenmark
Kraut said:
Come on, confess, what would you considere to be your biggest weakness as a player? For me it's certainly my addiction to micromanagement, no matter how large the scenario is (and I usually play the huge monster games), I will always hesitate where to send this single regiment, what unit has to move first to keep movement penalties due to overstacking low, where do I want to have my Schwerpunkt three turns from now and how do I need to move my forces to get them there? Before committing my units to combat I will often examine the unit-detail screen to see whether the unit has the desired equipment for this specific battle, I assign every air-wing it's specific mission instead of giving them generic CS or AS missions, every combat is planed en detail to get the most combat rounds possible, I am really anal in trying to end the turn with every unit having a HQ nearby (even though the effect is almost unnoticeable) and it's not uncommong for a DNO turn to take up to 20h of gaming time to complete (if I am fast :D )
Mine is the exact opposite. I hate micromanagement and avoid it at all costs. I don't read the manual unless there's no other choice, I don't look at the unit details, I don't think about maximising the ten phase thingy and I play really fast using intuition rather than (excessive) planning.
 
Last edited:

LaPalice

Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2002
Messages
393
Reaction score
0
Location
France
Country
llFrance
Mine is that I spend not enough time to think to what I am going to do this turn. The other one is that I don't know the game mechanisms very well, and then make a lot of mistakes when I play.

LaPalice.
 

Crimguy

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Location
Not too far away
Country
llUnited States
I'm not much for micromanagement. Micromanagement in PBEM is a good thing. Your weakness sounds like one of those things people say in job interviews: "Well, my biggest fault is that I'm a workaholic, and can't seem to stop billing my clients 10 hours every day." :laugh:

Kraut said:
Come on, confess, what would you considere to be your biggest weakness as a player? For me it's certainly my addiction to micromanagement, no matter how large the scenario is (and I usually play the huge monster games), I will always hesitate where to send this single regiment, what unit has to move first to keep movement penalties due to overstacking low, where do I want to have my Schwerpunkt three turns from now and how do I need to move my forces to get them there? Before committing my units to combat I will often examine the unit-detail screen to see whether the unit has the desired equipment for this specific battle, I assign every air-wing it's specific mission instead of giving them generic CS or AS missions, every combat is planed en detail to get the most combat rounds possible, I am really anal in trying to end the turn with every unit having a HQ nearby (even though the effect is almost unnoticeable) and it's not uncommong for a DNO turn to take up to 20h of gaming time to complete (if I am fast :D )
 

nemo

-. . -- ---
Joined
Sep 24, 2003
Messages
2,101
Reaction score
3
Location
Nowhere to be seen
Country
llFrance
I would have a hard time seeing micro-management as a weakness, apart from its time-consuming effects ('no darling, I won't have supper tonight, I have my artillery to move and my air units to set. Will you please kiss the baby goodnight for me too?' ;))
I am sometimes at a loss in certain low density situations : few units, large chunks of map and uncertain about my opponent's intentions. This can keep me at a loss about what to do for a few turns - I will end up doing something, but without being convinced it was the smart thing to do... :dead:
 

Dicke Bertha

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2003
Messages
1,573
Reaction score
2
Location
Stockholm
Country
llSweden
:D I am a runover-junkie. I simply can't resist trying them when I see juicy artillery or HQ units. Even on retreat, I tend to do this, so my retreats are often pretty sloppy, with some units sort of setting off in the wrong direction... Just can't help it...(Hope Foggy doesn't read this!)
 

Bdr.Mallette

Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2004
Messages
1,087
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Country
llCanada
Once I have an opponent beat, I always let up a bit.
Even if it is just a small advantage, I will let up.
I am too compassionate.
Besides, I feel I have an advantage over everyone else, because I am, after all, Jason Mallette.
 

Polynike

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2002
Messages
717
Reaction score
1
Location
Gibraltar
Country
llGibraltar
i suffer from the same weakness as Dickie,,just love the overrun effect..the image of long toms and british 25 pounders being crushed by tiger tracks is very gratifying
 

Cmdr_Vessery

Member
Joined
May 26, 2004
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Location
St. Paul, MN
Country
llUnited States
I'd have to say that my biggest weakness is not managing/planning to get the most combat rounds out of my turn... :nuts:

And a close second, not having enough time to complete a turn properly.... :(

~Vessery
 

Kraut

Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2002
Messages
1,328
Reaction score
1
Location
Germany
Country
llGermany
Polynike said:
i suffer from the same weakness as Dickie,,just love the overrun effect..the image of long toms and british 25 pounders being crushed by tiger tracks is very gratifying
Turn your weakness into an advantage :D I admit, I once, too, was a huge fan of endless overrun attacks, I could chase an arty up and down the map, always expecting it's evaporation ;) But now I grew a little wiser and usually only use the overrun attack to avoid the ZOC penalty of a nearby defender. That's how I get into the enemies back and achieve all those nice encircelments (note to Polynike: having an artillery unit guard a superriver without any backup is NOT a good idea, check your old FITE saves and take a close look at the Dnestr defences just south of Orsha, that's were I used the overrun attack to great effect ;) )
 

06 Maestro

Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2003
Messages
291
Reaction score
0
Location
NV
No doubt about it; I make my most serious errors when I'm falling asleep at the controls. Has anyone ever had the pleasure of sending a .sal file instead of your pbm? I did that recently- an intelligence coup for the "bad guys". My opponent had the misfortune to make the same error a few turns later. All is fair in love and war, ja? There are not enough hours in the day, and sometimes I don't plan accordingly..
 

Smike Mcloud

Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
Israel
Country
llIsrael
Double desease: I hate micromanagment, especially of artillery AND I can hardly resist these chasing temptations.
 
Joined
Aug 6, 2002
Messages
302
Reaction score
1
Location
Not Here
I'm an OOB nut, so I tend to keep my forces well organized, with all units of a formation together. I also tend to create higher command groupings in my head (or even written down on scrap paper sometimes). My favourite scale scenario is the Battalion unit (usually with Division formations), so I'll keep all Division units together, and create Corps and Army commands to 'control' the division formations. I think this is a weakness because when on the offensive, I tend to be a bit too rigid and structured in my attacks. I'm usually a little more flexible on the defensive though, but I still spend much time shifting my forces to keep the formations together. :nuts:
 

rasmus

Member
Joined
May 2, 2003
Messages
911
Reaction score
1
Location
Denmark
Country
llDenmark
Martin Schenkel said:
I'm an OOB nut, so I tend to keep my forces well organized, with all units of a formation together. I also tend to create higher command groupings in my head (or even written down on scrap paper sometimes). My favourite scale scenario is the Battalion unit (usually with Division formations), so I'll keep all Division units together, and create Corps and Army commands to 'control' the division formations. I think this is a weakness because when on the offensive, I tend to be a bit too rigid and structured in my attacks. I'm usually a little more flexible on the defensive though, but I still spend much time shifting my forces to keep the formations together. :nuts:
I recently did exactly the same for an opening turn of Braunshweig that I fiddled with.

Took me about ten seconds to entangle different formations so much that I will spend weeks unraveling them. :(
 

Secadegas

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2003
Messages
665
Reaction score
3
Location
Lisbon, Portugal
Country
llPortugal
Martin Schenkel said:
I'm an OOB nut, so I tend to keep my forces well organized, with all units of a formation together. I also tend to create higher command groupings in my head (or even written down on scrap paper sometimes). My favourite scale scenario is the Battalion unit (usually with Division formations), so I'll keep all Division units together, and create Corps and Army commands to 'control' the division formations. I think this is a weakness because when on the offensive, I tend to be a bit too rigid and structured in my attacks. I'm usually a little more flexible on the defensive though, but I still spend much time shifting my forces to keep the formations together. :nuts:
These could be exactly my words. Lately i try to be more flexible and but i always fill unconfortable with it...
 

Tiberius

Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2002
Messages
486
Reaction score
0
Location
California, USA
Country
llUnited States
I tend to get too danged enthralled witht the whole thing. I'll spend most of my gaming time (which I tend to get in little one hour dribels between family, work and work at the computer) just scrolling around the map thinking 'how cool is this?' And then something similar to micromanagement (which I also do) is over-anal-ysis and hesitation. What ends up happening is I'll be over the map 5 or 6 times between each round moving a unit here, a unit there. All of these things lead to not having time to do things like watch the replay, and then in the end: 'hurry up and just get it done.'
 

Foggy

Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
1,369
Reaction score
8
Location
Norfolk, Mass.
I'm trying to wean myself from the overrun/enjoyable crushing
tank treads of HQ/artillery units :smoke: Now - I'm trying to take it to the next level - the overrun hopefully will crush the
supplies of much larger units :D
 

Dicke Bertha

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2003
Messages
1,573
Reaction score
2
Location
Stockholm
Country
llSweden
Tiberius has a point; sometimes it seems I am scrolling the map and contemplating moves (building some cohesive plan) for longer than the actual turn execution actually takes... Perhaps it would be interesting to play some balanced-weight scenarii on a timer; for example maximum one hour allowed for a turn of GiO! :smoke:
 
Top