What is this structure?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
You can see now that it is not a structure at all. The dark bit on the left of it is either coal or foliage. It is a sort of depression....
It may be a depression, but it is on higher ground than the river - look at those cuts running perpendicular to the water. The ground slopes up toward that area.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Stereoscope image?
Aerial photography was (and is) often done with a stereo camera - two images, from slightly different angles. When you look at the paired photos through a viewer, it gives you 3-D relief.

And helps avoid conversations like this one. :)

If you had a ViewMaster toy as a kid, the principle is the same.

Last edited:

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And I don't know, but the pics of Xenovin suggest both a railway and a trail crossing the area, so it would negate a quarry and/or a depression.
Honza's pics suggest the railway (within the pit) may have been involved in the transport of the matter being dug out of the pit as raw material for manufacturing bricks (clay?, given the riverbank location). Fill railway cars in pit, push or pull train up to brick factory. Empty, push or pull back down into the pit, repeat. The nearby pier in conjunction with the railroad may also have served a similar purpose, as part of the transport of material from pits across the river. Note, in the Goggle images, the number of nearly rectangular ponds and bright green areas that may be abandoned or abandoned and filled pits.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
so - is that shadow a sunken road? Trees? Spoil?

If that's a stereoscope image, find the partner and get a viewer....
I would suggest an elevated, embankment railroad, over the quarry with foliage on both sides to maintain stability from erosion. Stalingrad sits on the huge Ukrainian loess deposits. Loess is a combination of silt, clay and sand and it looks like the bluffs are fairly tall, 40 to 50 feet maybe?

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
This image which Xenovin posted is taken from a game map. I would not trust its accuracy. They interpreted the aerial photos in the same way we are trying to do.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Play with the magnifying tool on the image I have posted. There are new details. And take in account the shadows; being 1600 hours Berlin time would mean 1900? hours of August. That shadow means I would endorse the quarry theory and a half depression.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Play with the magnifying tool on the image I have posted. There are new details. And take in account the shadows; being 1600 hours Berlin time would mean 1900? hours of August. That shadow means I would endorse the quarry theory and a half depression.
Could you send me the whole photo? I can PM you my email address.

In that photo the shadows are going eastward instead of west. Interesting.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Having now seen a few clear pictures of this 'structure' I am sure it is a low depression with things going on around it. It will be a deir on the ASL map in progress.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think a deir is right Honza....too shallow. You should ask Jim Bishop his view on the shadow it cast in the pix. He could give you a pretty good benchmark...then read up on deirs. Then why make the rule load (assuming Jim says this is 10 feet deep or more, (i.e. an ASL level...like a house level....)... Deir seems wrong best I can tell at this point.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Well, at 40 meters per hex it would be two and half hexes wide and five hexes long on the map. I think it should be a depression, -1 level open ground. If you are in the bottom can you see out, across 0 level ground surrounding it, by standing on a slope? (Or I might be misunderstanding slopes here.) I think you can seen and affect with fire only the hexes at the edge of the depression.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Well, at 40 meters per hex it would be two and half hexes wide and five hexes long on the map. I think it should be a depression, -1 level open ground. If you are in the bottom can you see out, across 0 level ground surrounding it, by standing on a slope? (Or I might be misunderstanding slopes here.) I think you can seen and affect with fire only the hexes at the edge of the depression.
Great! But it's walled. But the lack of shadow in the eastern side of the photo suggest is a low wall...

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excuse my poor English: low depression, definitely
No half depression was me taking issue with sort of ASL-speak not your English. ASL-speak is not really English sometimes.

Low depression is proper English...and then hints at ASL like deir, or slopes with three+ inward facing symbols....

But my gut says that shadow shows a depth of >= 10 feet and once you are at that mark you are really at a full depression...combined with my point why have a "rare****" Chap F rule for 1 hex?...

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great! But it's walled. But the lack of shadow in the eastern side of the photo suggest is a low wall...
Even if walled or partly walled on certain sides...I think Randy's wider point is correct as to DFE and LOS (I have not done the "size" calculation, but he is probably within sound reason.