Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
If there is a railway and trail crossing the area then it not a building either.

The first pic by Vincent is from a Soviet map published when?

I have no idea where Vincent second pic is from.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
If there is a railway and trail crossing the area then it not a building either.

The first pic by Vincent is from a Soviet map published when?

I have no idea where Vincent second pic is from.
Unless is a narrow gauge rail to service the main rail, or, as I said before, it's a building with no walls.
Look, I'm no disputing anyone's opinion here, I'm only trying to bring a logical explanation. And,the doubt that pervades me is: why the brickworks wasn't a hotly disputed zone? Could be because it hasn't walls and, therefore, was less "fortifiable"?

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Look, I'm no disputing anyone's opinion here, I'm only trying to bring a logical explanation.
Me too.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Asked a friend who lives up the river a bit. He says there’s a yacht club there now, lol. I’m not sure if they’re looking in the right spot. He also says the river floods up higher than in the 1940’s. I thought there were relatively high banks along that stretch.

Anyway, he asked around and was told it was probably the old quarry. Wouldn’t bet on the accuracy.

Blofeld

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
There more I look at the picture, the more I think it's a walled yard. It looks like something is dumped in the marked area like clay or sand ect.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Asked a friend who lives up the river a bit. He says there’s a yacht club there now, lol. I’m not sure if they’re looking in the right spot. He also says the river floods up higher than in the 1940’s. I thought there were relatively high banks along that stretch.

Anyway, he asked around and was told it was probably the old quarry. Wouldn’t bet on the accuracy.
That is interesting....thanks. It is either something like a quarry or a warehouse. We cannot tell from the photos if it is a depression or a structure. I am going to have to make up my mind soon because I am mapping out the whole area.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I think I am going to make the area a depression on the map. Probably a half level depression which will be treated like a deir. I think it is too drastic to make it a full depression so I am opting for the middle road.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The shadow is on the wrong side for that to be a depression. If it was a depression, that big black shadow on the top of the area would be bathed in sunlight, no? Assuming those other structures are above ground.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
The shadow is on the wrong side for that to be a depression. If it was a depression, that big black shadow on the top of the area would be bathed in sunlight, no? Assuming those other structures are above ground.

View attachment 11116
The city was on the west bank, bottom of the pic, and if the sun was not at high noon but mid morning, say 10AM, when the picture was taken the shadows would be more pronounced on the west sides. It is not a huge Quonset or Nissen hut building but a pile of sand or clay for the brickworks. The irregular edge of the curved shadow seems to indicate that to me. There is a line of conveyor belts from the pile leading to a building, probably to separate debris from the sand / clay before mixing.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The city was on the west bank, bottom of the pic, and if the sun was not at high noon but mid morning, say 10AM, when the picture was taken the shadows would be more pronounced on the west sides. It is not a huge Quonset or Nissen hut building but a pile of sand or clay for the brickworks. The irregular edge of the curved shadow seems to indicate that to me. There is a line of conveyor belts from the pile leading to a building, probably to separate debris from the sand / clay before mixing.
Quite possibly - my feeling is that whatever it is, it is casting a shadow just like all the other above ground structures.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Quite possibly - my feeling is that whatever it is, it is casting a shadow just like all the other above ground structures.
My other idea is that the south, east and north walls are steel pilings like those used to make cofferdams sunk deep into the sand / clay. The western part is a foliage covered embankment with a road leading down into the quarry. The conveyor belt still leads to the first building for cleaning.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
You can see now that it is not a structure at all. The dark bit on the left of it is either coal or foliage. It is a sort of depression....

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
so - is that shadow a sunken road? Trees? Spoil?

If that's a stereoscope image, find the partner and get a viewer....