What is this structure?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
And, conjecturing again, could be not the works, but the warehouse of the manufactured bricks... The streets/roads around suggest that...
Why would you put bricks in a warehouse? Pigeons steal them for their nests?

JR

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Why would you put bricks in a warehouse? Pigeons steal them for their nests?

JR
You don't manufacture one, or a hundred, or a thousand bricks and then send them to the brickshop. You receive argile by tons and manufacture them bricks, and then you send them where are needed or demanded. In the interim, you put in a wharehouse. I've worked in building business. Try to buy a brick by the unit!...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You don't manufacture one, or a hundred, or a thousand bricks and then send them to the brickshop. You receive argile by tons and manufacture them bricks, and then you send them where are needed or demanded. In the interim, you put in a wharehouse. I've worked in building business. Try to buy a brick by the unit!...
I don't disagree that you have to store them. But I think they might do ok if left out in the rain.

JR

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I don't disagree that you have to store them. But I think they might do ok if left out in the rain.

JR
Not really, and it depends of the argile. And we're talking of 1940s, not now. Some typesof argile need air (but not water) to dry off completely, and could be that the bricks didn't exit the factory totally dried. That's for the brickworks I've seen are opened at the sides...

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I think it is some kind of a walled compound (blue circle) on this soviet map but I don't believe it is a building

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Yeah very interesting. Thanks for the input.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
A couple of photos of some brick works.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
also showing walled compound

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Yes I was thinking something like a curved roof. A guy on FB showed another photo of the area and this time it looks like a depression. It could be the brick works quarry. A mystery.
If it is the quarry, then the area would produce my estimate of 500,000 to 600,000 bricks per three inches of depth (Russian bricks are about 10"x4.5"x2.75". So a depth of 5 feet or so would have yielded 10,000,000 to 12,000,000 bricks.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If it is the quarry, then the area would produce my estimate of 500,000 to 600,000 bricks per three inches of depth (Russian bricks are about 10"x4.5"x2.75". So a depth of 5 feet or so would have yielded 10,000,000 to 12,000,000 bricks.
It's hard to say that without knowing the area of the excavation. I am sure this estimate varies by acreage (or bricks are somehow dimensionally transcendental like the Tardis :) -- jim

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
It's hard to say that without knowing the area of the excavation. I am sure this estimate varies by acreage (or bricks are somehow dimensionally transcendental like the Tardis :) -- jim
I used this for area.

All my references indicate that it's part of the brick factory. And, if you look at the buildings around defined as complex "brickworks", in fact this structure could be the main brick factory. It has a pier near, which could be convenient. At any case, no depression or stadium. It's about 200 m long and about 100 m wide.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
And I don't know, but the pics of Xenovin suggest both a railway and a trail crossing the area, so it would negate a quarry and/or a depression.