What is the toughest/hardest scenario you ever played ?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Tarawa CG3 was hard because of the vast amount going on. To ease the PMC, Jean-Pierre Raymond and I played two versions simultaneously, one at his house, one at mine. I played the Japanese at my house. He played the Japanese at his house. We alternated houses every week.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
QUOTE="Michael R, post: 2041105, member: 2259"]
Tarawa CG3 was hard because of the vast amount going on. To ease the PMC, Jean-Pierre Raymond and I played two versions simultaneously, one at his house, one at mine. I played the Japanese at my house. He played the Japanese at his house. We alternated houses every week.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry. PMC?🤔 OMOOT. 🙄

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FRF20 - Adolph's Amateurs

A nice scenario. Will play out similarly, but it packs certain movement, terrain and smoke-filled challenges not found in a take the bridge, don't take the bridge scenario. It is 6.5 turns, a nice tourney sized scenario with some complexity. Pretty even on ROAR.

I played it in an overseas tourney in 2012. My defending Russians had but seven 447 squads versus twelve green 447 attacking SS, each side had two light AFVs.

Round started at 9 am, scheduled to end at 16:30, a mere 7.5 hours later. It wasn't enough, as my opponent skillfully and very slowly attacked, treating each squad move like a family member fought within.

My Russians possessed one MMG, LMG and 50mm Mtr, plus one HIP squad.

So after an hour my Mtr hones in on a leader/447, bypassing woods, "12" breaks, never to return.

Two hours later, my MMG/447/8-1 unhips for an adjacent Prep into a stack which advanced out of the gully. Yep, "11", MMG malfs and to rub salt into it, both my 8-1 and 447 break in DFF.

The AFV battle resulted in mutual destruction, so we were ready for his turn 5, but already past the time deadline.

So we rolled for the win, low roll, he won.

Four turns, eight hours, I thought my mind was going to leak out of my ears from boredom.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
FRF20 - Adolph's Amateurs

A nice scenario. Will play out similarly, but it packs certain movement, terrain and smoke-filled challenges not found in a take the bridge, don't take the bridge scenario. It is 6.5 turns, a nice tourney sized scenario with some complexity. Pretty even on ROAR.

I played it in an overseas tourney in 2012. My defending Russians had but seven 447 squads versus twelve green 447 attacking SS, each side had two light AFVs.

Round started at 9 am, scheduled to end at 16:30, a mere 7.5 hours later. It wasn't enough, as my opponent skillfully and very slowly attacked, treating each squad move like a family member fought within.

My Russians possessed one MMG, LMG and 50mm Mtr, plus one HIP squad.

So after an hour my Mtr hones in on a leader/447, bypassing woods, "12" breaks, never to return.

Two hours later, my MMG/447/8-1 unhips for an adjacent Prep into a stack which advanced out of the gully. Yep, "11", MMG malfs and to rub salt into it, both my 8-1 and 447 break in DFF.

The AFV battle resulted in mutual destruction, so we were ready for his turn 5, but already past the time deadline.

So we rolled for the win, low roll, he won.

Four turns, eight hours, I thought my mind was going to leak out of my ears from boredom.
Very understandable that slow play can make for a tough scenario especially when it is a short, low piece density scenario. Fortunately I rarely had to play a slow opponent. Also unfortunate that your scenario outcome had to be resolved by a dice roll, bolsters the case for chess clocks in certain tournament situations.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The toughest/hardest scenario ever played is the one you have not studied yet.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The time I had to pull out everything for the win: BtB 8 Steel Inferno as the German. I remember rallying an OBA observer who got down accurate fire mission just where I needed it. Played 15 years ago, still cherish the memory.

Most work: OtO-1 Funnel of death as Germans. Took forever to setup and did not enjoy the experience when my defense failed in couple of turns which took hours to complete. This was played 16 years ago, I might be better player today to take a challenge like this. At the time it felt ASL broke down as a system under the sheer volume of stuff happening.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The time I had to pull out everything for the win: BtB 8 Steel Inferno as the German. I remember rallying an OBA observer who got down accurate fire mission just where I needed it. Played 15 years ago, still cherish the memory.

Most work: OtO-1 Funnel of death as Germans. Took forever to setup and did not enjoy the experience when my defense failed in couple of turns which took hours to complete. This was played 16 years ago, I might be better player today to take a challenge like this. At the time it felt ASL broke down as a system under the sheer volume of stuff happening.
If you ever play Funnel of Death again it would be very interesting to see your AAR and to see if 16 years of experience allowed you to handle it better.
How long had you been playing when you first played it?

Checking it out on the Archive this seems to be quite a big scenario, definitely a challenge.

Last edited:

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some days you eat the bear, and some days the bear eats you.

For me it was Kings of the Bollersdorf a couple years against Ron Duenskie. In 1.5 turns one 6-5-8 flamed/recalled five of my T-34/85s and killed four squads outright. He found and hit the mark with two PF, used FPF twice, including successfully breaking a squad trying to get behind him whose surrender was declined, even a 2 resid managed to KIA a squad. He then ambushed and killed another squad in CC, positioning himself for a prep fire PF volley. It was a massacre.

The shoe was on the other foot when I played Stan Jackson 20 years ago in the Slaughterhouse. I've had many great games with Stan. In this one Stan had his 436/447's covering the city roads and a 9-2 killer stack in the rear. Turn one I felt I had some tanks to spare and drove two of them right down the road past multiple defenders. Stan's troops found their panzerfausts, but rolled just high enough to miss while breaking and/or reducing every one of them due to back-blast or a 11/12 on the TH shot. To add salt to the wound a sniper then was activated and killed the 9-2 outright and broke his stack. I hadn't fired a shot and half Stan's OB was out of commission.

Had another fairly large city fight (Spittelmarkt) vs. Bob Bendis where my dozen defending 658's didn't manage to break a single attacking Russian squad the entire game. 12 flats were useless and 4+3 advancing fire shots deadly.

All great ASL memories.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Some days you eat the bear, and some days the bear eats you.

For me it was Kings of the Bollersdorf a couple years against Ron Duenskie. In 1.5 turns one 6-5-8 flamed/recalled five of my T-34/85s and killed four squads outright. He found and hit the mark with two PF, used FPF twice, including successfully breaking a squad trying to get behind him whose surrender was declined, even a 2 resid managed to KIA a squad. He then ambushed and killed another squad in CC, positioning himself for a prep fire PF volley. It was a massacre.

The shoe was on the other foot when I played Stan Jackson 20 years ago in the Slaughterhouse. I've had many great games with Stan. In this one Stan had his 436/447's covering the city roads and a 9-2 killer stack in the rear. Turn one I felt I had some tanks to spare and drove two of them right down the road past multiple defenders. Stan's troops found their panzerfausts, but rolled just high enough to miss while breaking and/or reducing every one of them due to back-blast or a 11/12 on the TH shot. To add salt to the wound a sniper then was activated and killed the 9-2 outright and broke his stack. I hadn't fired a shot and half Stan's OB was out of commission.

Had another fairly large city fight (Spittelmarkt) vs. Bob Bendis where my dozen defending 658's didn't manage to break a single attacking Russian squad the entire game. 12 flats were useless and 4+3 advancing fire shots deadly.

All great ASL memories.
Lmao! Hopefully that 6-5-8 was marked in some way to recognize it's remarkable achievements!!

Wbitd of my youth when playing Risk we would mark pieces that had performed exceptional feats of valor. Those were the days of wooden Risk pieces and some were larger then the regular pieces. We felt those pieces were imbued with special powers. Gamers are a funny lot.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Had to give this one some serious thought.

It came down to my last minute loss to George Kelln in "Zon with the Wind" where I needed two more exit VPs (or so) and had four MMC/SMC to do so. George's Germans managed to place a 1FP resid in the required exit hex and all four units pinned or broke.

I never worked so hard for a loss.

The other choice was a playing of "The Monastery", a massive Italian assault on a Greek hilltop position. The Italians stormed the heights three time to take the ridge, generating four heroes from one squad in process. In the end the Greeks were down 1.5 squads, a wounded SMC and well-used MMG.

I never worked so hard for a win.

In the end I suppose I'll go with "The Monastery" as it ended with the win.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Obviously, with that 658 you have crossed and found the 'King of Bollersdorf'... 🤣

von Marwitz

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hill 621 vs Eddie Zeman comes to mind. After many hours of play and a 18 ROF .50 cal tear my few remaining Russians had gained the summit but one of my SU 152 tanks had a malfunctioning MA and we didn’t know if he controlled his hex. We didn’t feel like looking the rule up and after the well fought long battle I offered a ‘draw’ which Eddie excepted.

Last edited:

ReggieRed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bloody Red Beach for me. Large OoB, LC, caves, air, napalm, I think there was NOBA. Played via VASL live. Awesome fun, but some nights my head would be pounding after getting a half-turn done in two hours because of the time spent in the ASLRB. It came down to the final CCPh on top of one of the VC hills. Hard but totally worth it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Sign in the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center south of Anchorage:

View attachment 16146
This reminds me of a sign I noticed in Australia on a playground for little children maybe some 15 yards off a body of water:

Beware! Saltwater Crocodiles

These beasts are really vicious and known to dash out of the water to grab their prey to drag it in. I took a picture of it back then, but can't find it without major fuss.

von Marwitz