What is the situation concerning the battle for Southern Stalingrad?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The battle for Northern and Central Stalingrad has been covered in detail. CH are about to release some maps for Southern Stalingrad. What kind of battle was that? Did the Russians put up much of a fight?

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm no expert, but I think that the majority of Stalingrad's western & southern areas were over run during the first couple of weeks fighting in the city proper, hence why the slugging matches for the eastern factories & rail station, etc gets all the attention (as it took months of fighting to gain very little ground).

With no history books handy, I think a panzer division cleared a fair bit of the western approaches to the city & into the suburbs during the initial fighting.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never been impressed by German tactics at Stalingrad. I know the northern thrust to the river had to be narrow, to avoid getting too deep into the gathering Soviet reinforcements, but I can't understand why they didn't clear the river bank much farther south. Just leaving a bridgehead too many close to Stalingrad IMO.

PaulS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The battle for Northern and Central Stalingrad has been covered in detail. CH are about to release some maps for Southern Stalingrad. What kind of battle was that? Did the Russians put up much of a fight?
There was some pretty intense fighting around the Grain Elevator, Stalingrad Station No. 2, and the Minina suburb, etc. David Glantz's Armageddon In Stalingrad Chapter 3 has info., although not much at the tactical level. Anton Joly's Stalingrad Battle Atlas, volume 1 has some tactical info and a couple of nice photos of the Grain Elevator. These are my ready references.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The bank of the Volga was very steep and high ( over 100 ft ) , as were the gullies, this made it hard for artillery to both see and hit.

This did not apply to Stuka who apparently had a field day.. There are many accounts of boats getting shafted...