What is the next release from BFP going to be?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even with the Brush (that should be Bamboo, unless there are SSR to keep Brush and Jungle on the same map), the map looks relatively open - more so than most PTO scenarios, I'd say.

No caves or seaborne assaults sounds nice. Not sure I'm too happy with the "but take a look at para drop rules" bit, though.
Ummmm, actually, there are two scenarios depicting the seaborne landings at Black Beach on the island. The third paratroop drop was cancelled and they arrived Day 2 by Higgins boats instead....and the units from the 34th ID also landed at Black Beach. A couple scenarios use a cave or two. The main force landed by paradrop on the Parade Grounds and the Golf Course......so for one scenario and the second CG you will need to know how paradrops work.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I saw the map on the Facebook wargame art group, and thought - nice map, but that's it. However, I like the sound of these comments. Firstly, often wondered about using the same historical map to represent fighting there in two different time frames. Great idea!

I also like the idea of a PTO HASL without heavy rules overhead. Are there a lot of night scenarios?
A total of three night scenz, one in '42, two in '45. The HASL map depicts actions from 1945 only. All the fighting in 1942 took place on the long tapering tail of the island known as Bottomside, east of Malinta Hill. The HASL map depicts Topside, the high ground on Corregidor. Actions vary from small tourney size all the way to one monster that uses the entire HASL map.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even with the Brush (that should be Bamboo, unless there are SSR to keep Brush and Jungle on the same map), the map looks relatively open - more so than most PTO scenarios, I'd say.

No caves or seaborne assaults sounds nice. Not sure I'm too happy with the "but take a look at para drop rules" bit, though.
BTW - there is an SBR that states that brush is brush, not bamboo for all scenarios / CG's in Corregidor. There was some bamboo stands on the island, but on the HASL map area they along with most of the jungle were literally blown away by massive aerial and naval bombardments. About all that was left were some sticks (which BTW became deadly spikes to the paratroopers as they tried to land. Many were impaled on the sticks.). We left some jungle on the HASL map more for routing purposes than anything else. The real island was denuded almost completely of any vegetation prior to the para landings.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is what the island looks like now.

View attachment 5065
View looking to the east from the edge of the Parade Grounds. Part of Mile Long Barracks on left, base Cinema in center, admin building to the right. New tourist structures in back. Malinta Hill in back center, with Bottomside in far back of picture. If you look closely at extreme left edge you can just make out the ruins of part of the base "Snack Bar"....from what I understand, it was a favorite watering hole (ie: beer) for the officers coming off the Parade Grounds after drill and a a stopping off place prior to going in to see a movie. All of the structures here give a good example of a "roofless building" depicted in the HASL rules.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those ASLOK attendees wanting to see/play Corregidor pm me and let's see if we can set up a playtest. If you are not in the running for the Grofaz and want to try something different then give me the heads up. Many scenarios.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those ASLOK attendees wanting to see/play Corregidor pm me and let's see if we can set up a playtest. If you are not in the running for the Grofaz and want to try something different then give me the heads up. Many scenarios.
I'm hoping to attend this year, and while I'll be signing up for minis (Wed-Fri), if history is any indicator, I'll have time for open gaming in the afternoon and evenings. Will check in with Brett and hopefully I can try out one or more. Should be a cool product.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
There is a rule that allows LOS to be traced across the grey area. So there would be an LOS in this instance. The hard line represents the edge of a 500 foot cliff that dropped down to the ocean. So while the grey area is technically unplayable, it does not form an artificial wall for the map edge.
But wouldn’t the LOS be blocked due to the height difference?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But wouldn’t the LOS be blocked due to the height difference?
No, it would not be due to the fact that IF there were terrain depicted on the map (and it was originally) that terrain where the grey area is located, is 500 feet BELOW any of the terrain depicted on the map. If there were Level 1 Open Ground terrain in all that grey area the LOS would not be blocked, so how could terrain that is many levels below that affect LOS in any way? Hope that helps, and hope I understood what you were actually asking. If not. let me know. Thanks. Back to eating my dinner now.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
Thanks now I see. I had a brain fart and thought the green hex was looking down into the light brown hex, while it is obviously looking up!

Robert Hammond

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am looking forward to this one.

For those interested in some good readings to get you in the mood for the CG should read Blossoming Silk Against The Rising Sun by Gene Eric Salecker as well as Corregidor: The Rock Force Assault by General E.M. Flanagan Jr. They give you a good feel for the difficulties the paratroopers faced.

Semper Fi!
Scott
Scott,

Hi! Any chance you got an open spot on your dance card?