What is the most unique CG you have played?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

Currently I am in two CG's, a Red Barricades one and CH Uncommon Valor CG1 Flesh against Concrete. I love RB and that is my mainstream go to CG if you and / or your opponent do not want to be burdened by too many rules from the Rulebook. On the other hand I am finding CH Uncommon Valor to be a strong contender for one of the most unique CG's I have played yet. At first glance, it might look like a boring sitzkrieg, but the combination of caves, tunnels and pillboxes along with a few cave complexes actually give the Japanese a very fluid feel to the CG. They do not need to die in place, they just duck into a cave complex and emerge into a different cave, or they set up their Pillbox tunnels in a way where when the Marines end their movement on a tunnel entrance, the IJA in their movement phase just ducks into the pillbox tunnel and emerges to bushwack the Marines. (although we are still unsure if the emerging IJA squads lose concealment when entering open ground from a tunnel exit)

I'll add BRT to the very unique CG's I have played list, the only downside to BRT is once the Marines land, the CG is pretty much over in my opinion. And since I am really starting to know caves, After UV, we might tackle Ordeal before Shuiri, another cave/ cave complex intensive CG.

Scott

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What makes singling unique? Is there anything that makes it special? Singling struck me as kind of boring due to both OB's being Armored Infantry with "take the village" mentality. But to each their own.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
What makes singling unique? Is there anything that makes it special? Singling struck me as kind of boring due to both OB's being Armored Infantry with "take the village" mentality. But to each their own.
The attacking Americans have very little infantry. Having to manage building control VC primarily with tanks (while actually doing it with infantry of course) is a unique tactical challenge.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am playing six CGs at the moment.
  • Those Bloody Ragged Heros
  • Dinant PT
  • Berlin PT
  • Gavutu-Tanambogo
  • Suicide Creek
  • Objective: Schmidt
I have always been in the "anything worth doing is worth OVER doing" camp. On the other hand I can tell you with confidence that I am sticking with scenarios after I am done with this lot.

I'd say Dinant is pretty unique in that it's a river crossing. The terrain is interesting as Meuse presents a deep river valley with pretty dense villages on both sides. The Germans need to cross a 4 plus/minus hex river, secure a beachhead against French defenders in buildings, build bridges and send everyone over. Rommel of course, makes his appearance. All in all a rather interesting puzzle to solve. Look for it when it comes out.

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably Onslaught to Orsha for me.... Not much of anywhere to hide from the Russian FBs with bombs, rockets, and/or PTABs!

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have played RB, KGP and PB.

Pegasus Bridge stands out as the most interesting of the three.....not too huge in terms of troops, both sides attacking.....more like a string of interconnected scenarios than an endless slugfest.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have played RB, KGP and PB.

Pegasus Bridge stands out as the most interesting of the three.....not too huge in terms of troops, both sides attacking.....more like a string of interconnected scenarios than an endless slugfest.
Got to agree, as a CG it is horendous and seriously unbalanced. It's fairly evident that originally it was a platform for a series of loosly connected scenarios tied together in a hopeful CG format (it didn't work). The most interesting aspect of the CG is one can literally sacrifice some of their best troops (British) without regard to their future committment beyond the "game" time-frame. Also, there is little or no CG feel for it as only one side has any variables involved and then the night rules and SSRs limit their effectiveness so much, as to make those forces non-essintial or at least next to worthless as a dynamic force to be employed by a player. It is as we simply refer to it as "that CG that will not be named again."

Last edited:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
...as a CG it is horrendous and seriously unbalanced.
I have played the 'full' PB CG twice and both times it literally came down to the final CC of the final Turn of the final Date near the crossroads for the win either way. Incredibly well balanced, IMO. YMOV...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Can truly understand that the UV CG is unique. The CG which I developed on the back of UV was unique too. Any CG dealing with caves is different. The RB CG that I played with a doubled up OB was unique as well.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Having also play tested Dinant a little I think, in terms of 'uniqueness' that it will blow everything else off the map. Caves are not unique.....BUILDING and managing pontoons and ferries, whilst under fire from guys at level 7 across the valley, is.

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Edsons Ridge. Night attacks with Japanese vs entenched marines on a ridge.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Having also play tested Dinant a little I think, in terms of 'uniqueness' that it will blow everything else off the map. Caves are not unique.....BUILDING and managing pontoons and ferries, whilst under fire from guys at level 7 across the valley, is.
It is different in that respect, but it does sound a bit like a one trick pony. How does the rest of the CG play once that task is done?

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
It is different in that respect, but it does sound a bit like a one trick pony. How does the rest of the CG play once that task is done?
There's a lot more to it. Early stages features German river crossings by dinghies and assault boats under French fire.

French begin very weak and gradually strengthen.

Germans begin by getting infantry across, then a ferry will take small elements of armour across (ferries are the easiest to build). Then the pontoon bridge creates access to the opposite bank for all the German armour.

By which time the French should have had support arrive and moved to the front.....leading to a sprawling fight up the opposite bank...there are certain key roads which the French aim to defend.

And eventually the battle moves onto the plateau (which if memory serves correctly is about 6-7 levels above river level).

It's ace. Telling you, it will blow every other campaign up until now away.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It sounds kool, but I wish people would talk about published products because most of us do not have access to the playtest stuff. I do understand you want to get the word out on this product and let us know how great it is but it is a product that is 5 or more years away from being printed probably. Remember you have Red Factories in 2019, Manila in 2020 (the designer on FB cried a river about it languishing in MMP's circular file and Perry promised to front load his product ASAP). And who knows what else, so maybe 2022 we might see the French.

Scott

There's a lot more to it. Early stages features German river crossings by dinghies and assault boats under French fire.

French begin very weak and gradually strengthen.

Germans begin by getting infantry across, then a ferry will take small elements of armour across (ferries are the easiest to build). Then the pontoon bridge creates access to the opposite bank for all the German armour.

By which time the French should have had support arrive and moved to the front.....leading to a sprawling fight up the opposite bank...there are certain key roads which the French aim to defend.

And eventually the battle moves onto the plateau (which if memory serves correctly is about 6-7 levels above river level).

It's ace. Telling you, it will blow every other campaign up until now away.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
It sounds kool, but I wish people would talk about published products because most of us do not have access to the playtest stuff. I do understand you want to get the word out on this product and let us know how great it is but it is a product that is 5 or more years away from being printed probably. Remember you have Red Factories in 2019, Manila in 2020 (the designer on FB cried a river about it languishing in MMP's circular file and Perry promised to front load his product ASAP). And who knows what else, so maybe 2022 we might see the French.

Scott
Problem is there's nothing 'unique' is there ?

I loved Purple Heart Draw and Pegasus Bridge but neither are particularly unique I guess.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I am playing six CGs at the moment.
  • Those Bloody Ragged Heros
  • Dinant PT
  • Berlin PT
  • Gavutu-Tanambogo
  • Suicide Creek
  • Objective: Schmidt
I have always been in the "anything worth doing is worth OVER doing" camp. On the other hand I can tell you with confidence that I am sticking with scenarios after I am done with this lot.

I'd say Dinant is pretty unique in that it's a river crossing. The terrain is interesting as Meuse presents a deep river valley with pretty dense villages on both sides. The Germans need to cross a 4 plus/minus hex river, secure a beachhead against French defenders in buildings, build bridges and send everyone over. Rommel of course, makes his appearance. All in all a rather interesting puzzle to solve. Look for it when it comes out.

DAMN, Jack!!!!

You da man!!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My personal unique CG's were BRT and Gavutu_Tanambogo. The latter very small, but very different. The KGS Siege Of Kohlm, Winter CG was unique, interesting and tense. Very cool stuff indeed.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My favourite was the Operation Veritable CG. I found the challenge of getting my forces across the open under deadly fire in the rain (I was unlucky on my weather roll) was unlike any other CG I've played. Also, I did like the Canadian connection.