What is the MF cost?

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey everyone,

I have a MF cost question. What is the MF cost to move from L7 to L6 in this picture? This is board BFP-K and the transformations are streams are gullies and there is ground snow. With ground snow there is a +1 MF cost for going up or down hill. So is the cost to enter 1 for the path and +1 for the snow or 4 for the woods/gully and +1 for the snow. It seems inappropriate to allow a unit to move into the gully without paying the MF cost.

Mike

Path Movement.png

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I think a path essentially eliminates the additional movement costs of the woods - it does not eliminate the movement costs of the gully. Treat the movement costs as an open ground movement into a gully: that is, 2MF plus the snow penalty = 3 MF

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Binchois, that makes sense and it never occurred to me. The path eliminates the cost of the woods in a regular wood/path hex so in this case you just pay the cost of the gully if you enter through the path hexside.

Mike

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Binchois, that makes sense and it never occurred to me. The path eliminates the cost of the woods in a regular wood/path hex so in this case you just pay the cost of the gully if you enter through the path hexside.

Mike
Uh oh! I always worry when something I say about ASL seems to make sense. Next some Guru will come around and tell me I am wrong: the move is impossibly strenuous, and your men are CX plus TI for even considering it!

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
I believe the cost would be 5 MF. 4 MF to enter a Gully-Woods Hex (B19.4) and 1 MF for the elevation level change [Level 0 to Level -1 )E3.723)].

Ed

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The hex is a combination woods-stream, or in this case by ssr, woods-gully. A ford in a gully prevents any bog DR for leaving, not relevant here because we have no vehicle. Otherwise a ford does not alter the cost in/out for a gully. The cost ordinarily (without the path, the intermediate level, and the snow) would be the combined cost of entering a woods and gully, i.e. four MF [B19.4]. The path lowers the woods cost by one [B13.6], so the total cost would be three MF (without the intermediate level and the snow). The intermediate level down adds one MF (total four MF) [B10.51], and the snow adds two MF for the two levels up/down [E3.723], for a total of six MF.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I believe the K7, L6, L7, M6 terrain combo was a deliberate attempt to drive people crazy calculating movement cost and digging for various rules such as fords, double crests, etc. After looking at this for a while, many people probably get disgusted with the mess and move elsewhere to get on with the game. They probably could have put an inherent level 7 spire of rock in there... :D

von Marwitz

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR, Although B13.6 doesn't say that cost is lowered by 1 in rethinking it all I believe that is the ultimate result. We can infer that the cost is halved because the inf/cav cost of 2/4 is lowered to 1/2. Originally I was reading it as it lowers the cost of the hex to the same as open ground but that is not correct. So your observation is correct I believe (sorry Binchois) that the woods portion of the 4 MF to enter is halved to 1. Ed and I both completely missed the double crest line so I now believe that the cost is 6 MF. Von Maritz I believe you are also correct! The rat bastards did it on purpose. Of course the darn snow transformation didn't make it any easier to recognize all that is going on here. Thanks everyone for the assist.

Mike

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The COT of woods is always two MF, whether entering from the same level, a higher level or a lower level. The path lowers the COT to one MF, and the COT is doubled when entering a higher level hex [B.2]. So although the COT looks like it is halved, it just happens that works out to be the same mathematically. This would make a difference for pine woods [B13.82]. COT is 1.5 MF, lowered to 1 MF for a path, and 3 MF & 2 MF respectively when entering a higher level, i.e. a path does not "halve" in that case. Similarly when entering a woods hex with SMOKE in it during the MPh the costs would be 6 MF (no path) and 4 MF (path).

JR

Last edited:

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
The hex is a combination woods-stream, or in this case by ssr, woods-gully. A ford in a gully prevents any bog DR for leaving, not relevant here because we have no vehicle. Otherwise a ford does not alter the cost in/out for a gully. The cost ordinarily (without the path, the intermediate level, and the snow) would be the combined cost of entering a woods and gully, i.e. four MF [B19.4]. The path lowers the woods cost by one [B13.6], so the total cost would be three MF (without the intermediate level and the snow). The intermediate level down adds one MF (total four MF) [B10.51], and the snow adds two MF for the two levels up/down [E3.723], for a total of six MF.

JR
Agreed (and sorry Mike)! I totally missed that this with be a 2 Level descent.