What is the M1A2SEP?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Is this a newer version of the M1A2? I'm not familiar with this particular designation.

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The M1A2 SEP (System Enhancement Package), is the digital battlefield centerpiece for Army XXI. It is the heavy force vehicle that will lead Armor into the next century and transition the close combat mission to the Future Combat System (FCS). The M1A2 SEP is an improved version of the M1A2. It contains numerous improvements in command and control, lethality and reliability. The M1A2 System Enhanced Program is an upgrade to the computer core that is the essence of the M1A2 tank. The SEP upgrade includes improved processors, color and high resolution flat panel displays, increased memory capacity, user friendly Soldier Machine Interface (SMI) and an open operating system that will allow for future growth. Major improvements include the integration of the Second Generation Forward Looking Infared (2nd Gen FLIR) sight, the Under Armor Auxiliary Power Unit (UAAPU) and a Thermal Management System (TMS).
Basically, a software update package if I read correctly. Here is the link to the M1A2 page at globalsecurity.
My 0.02€

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uh, careful, there two upgrades in one TacOps unit here.

The heavy armor package is one thing, it is the depleted uranium in the turret front (and hull front?). There are both M1A1 and M1A2 variants with the HA imprvement.

The M1A2 is a sensor, computer and communications upgrade to the M1A1, independently of whether one of those has the heavy armor package. In TacOps you see that upgrade in a higher hit probability.

In theory you should have four units in TacOps:
M1A1
M1A1 HA
M1A2
M1A2 HA

I'm a little confused about the armor values and what the designation SEP means as opposed to HA. In any case, from what I assumed the M1A1 HA should have the same armor as the M1A2 HA but the TacOps M1A2SEP has a little more than the M1A1HA.

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is a lot of conflicting, confusing, out of date, and outright bogus information on the Internet (and in official Army pubs) pertaining to the various versions of the M1 tank.

The characteristics and nomenclature of the M1 tanks that are currently in TacOps are what the Armor School at Fort Knox approved to be in the TacOps/TacOpsCav data base as "notional, unclassified information that is neither confirmed or denied by Army sponsorship". :)

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I am not a 19D, but I was not aware there were any M1A2 that do not have the HA. If there are, then that's certainly news to me.

What versions of the M1 are currently in TacOps?

Intruder13

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
I am not a 19D, but I was not aware there were any M1A2 that do not have the HA. If there are, then that's certainly news to me.

What versions of the M1 are currently in TacOps?
M1A1
M1A1D
M1A1HA
M1A2SEP
M1lP

The specific M1A2 variant is not in the game, but the Major said that the Army didn’t request it to be modeled. Most if not all scenarios included with the game use the M1A1, but it is easy to change units by type.