What is the effect of fire on a halftrack in melee ?

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Please take a look at the attached picture:

The 2-2-8 is overrun by a US halftrack (No effect). The halftrack choses to stay in that hex. The 2-2-8 gets a chance to kill the halftrack in CC but fails. So the 2-2-8 is held in melee by the halftrack, but the halftrack is NOT held in melee by the infantry.
In one of the following fire phases a US 6-6-7 fires into the melee and rolls a three. The result is good enough to affect either the 2-2-8 as well as the crew of the halftrack.

So here is the question: As the halftrack is not held in melee by the 2-2-8, would the fire of the 6-6-7 have any effect on the halftrack crew as well or is it possible to target the German 2-2-8 seperately and spare the US crew from the attack result ?

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So here is the question: As the halftrack is not held in melee by the 2-2-8, would the fire of the 6-6-7 have any effect on the halftrack crew as well or is it possible to target the German 2-2-8 and spare the US crew from the attack result ?
Since the halftrack is not held in Melee - I believe only the 2-2-8 is affected by fire from the 6-6-7.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
And if a German unit fired against the ht, as the 228 is held in Melee, would it be affected by the attack?

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Since the halftrack is not held in Melee - I believe only the 2-2-8 is affected by fire from the 6-6-7.
Even though its not held in melee, is there a melee still there (just a melee the HT can leave any time it wants to)?

In other words should the melee counter be there at all?

Peace

Roger

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Even though its not held in melee, is there a melee still there (just a melee the HT can leave any time it wants to)?

I think the Melee counter should at least be above the 2-2-8, according to A11.15.

Now when A7.4 says: "..with the outcome of such fire affecting all those enemy (or Melee) units in the target Location..." - I've always interpreted "(or Melee)" as units being held/locked in Melee - i.e., units beneath a Melee counter.

A11.15:
"...Infantry are also held in Melee by enemy Cavalry, cyclists, and non-Abandoned, Stopped, “unbroken” (12.1) vehicles. Place a Melee counter above the stack of units so afflicted..."

It seems to me that only units held/locked in Melee should be beneath a Melee counter.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
So, what if a German fired at the Location?

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States

Peace

Roger

Yes sir, as per 11.15 Place a Melee counter above the stack of those units so afflicted.

In this example the crew is afflicted with a Melee condition. The halftrack is not. (See A11.7).
Hence the 667 can light up the crew with no ill effects against the HT, however; a German unit firing into the location will effect both with an IFT attack. See also D.8 for Collateral Attacks.

So, what if a German fired at the Location?
Note, last 2 lines (Sticky Errata) but all friendly Melee units and enemy units must be attacked [EXC: a Sniper attacks a Melee location without harming friendly units].

Last edited:

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could Roger's general theme be the answer to this? The ht is in Melee but is not HELD in Melee. That works for me.