What is the Current Status of POA2?

wrongbanana

Recruit
Reaction score
I am curious because I see lots of posts about the unplayability of this game and the many bugs but I am wondering if these have been fixed so far. I love complex and realistic tactical wargames and would love to get this one if it is playable and has support.

Also, is there anyone who plays both POA2 and Decisive Action? Would you recommend both of these? Are they both playable?

Thanks so much in advance.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
POA 2.5 is very stable and playable. Give it a try.

I own both POA2 and DA. DA puts you in command of an entire division or corps; in POA2 you assume the command up to a brigade. DA is much more abstract than POA2 - which is not always a bad thing. I don't believe DA has been updated in many years.

wrongbanana

Recruit
Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you for the reply. I have seen so many negative posts on POA2 about bugs and it still feeling like a beta that I was very unsure. Granted, most of those posts were from a while ago. I suppose that once a game works then people talk about it less haha. Thanks again!

Edit: Also, my next question is are there enough scenarios in POA2? I have also seen complaints that there are not enough and that custom scenarios are very difficult to make.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awesome! Thank you for the reply. I have seen so many negative posts on POA2 about bugs and it still feeling like a beta that I was very unsure. Granted, most of those posts were from a while ago. I suppose that once a game works then people talk about it less haha. Thanks again!
Optimistic much?

wrongbanana

Recruit
Reaction score
Optimistic much?
Thanks so much! You are so helpful! I have more information about about my questions than I did before!

Actually, you would be surprised. I was just answering really quickly and just let things flow. Seriously though, thanks for the help.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sorry but the low amount of complaints is obviously rooted in nobody playing the thing anymore.

wrongbanana

Recruit
Reaction score
I'm sorry but the low amount of complaints is obviously rooted in nobody playing the thing anymore.
That makes sense. But is that really true? Have you played the most recent version and do you not find it enjoyable?

I am very curious, thank you for entertaining my questions.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That makes sense. But is that really true? Have you played the most recent version and do you not find it enjoyable?

I am very curious, thank you for entertaining my questions.
No. After too many round of "it's fixed now" and still having too many problems pop up - for years - I got a refund.

But yes, I'm sure that this time around it's actually fixed and it's not just people being too happy about something working.

wrongbanana

Recruit
Reaction score
No. After too many round of "it's fixed now" and still having too many problems pop up - for years - I got a refund.

But yes, I'm sure that this time around it's actually fixed and it's not just people being too happy about something working.

Thank you for your response. Can I ask when the last time and version you played?

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have not experienced any crashes with POA 2.5. I have made new maps with the geo map editor without problems.

Is POA2 a "fun" game? That depends on what your definition of "fun" is. I treat POA2 as a pure simulation to be explored -at the full realism settings and that is "fun" for me.

If you already own POA2 - try the 2.5 update.

wrongbanana

Recruit
Reaction score
I have not experienced any crashes with POA 2.5. I have made new maps with the geo map editor without problems.

Is POA2 a "fun" game? That depends on what your definition of "fun" is. I treat POA2 as a pure simulation to be explored -at the full realism settings and that is "fun" for me.

If you already own POA2 - try the 2.5 update.
Thank you. That definitely sounds fun to me. I prefer sims to games at the tactical level and I have been searching for one with more realism than TacOps4 which I have been really enjoying recently. Are there expected to be user generated content available for POA2 now that it is more stable do you think?

Thanks again KEYSTONE.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't see any new POA2 content on the horizon. I believe HPS is hoping that their WW2 version (Tigers Unleashed) of the engine proves more popular than POA2. With that said, when they release the full map editor, I hope new scenarios are created by the few of us who enjoy the modern version of the simulation.

POA2 is an acquired taste - not for everyone.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wrongbanana:
If you enjoy realistic modern simulations - have you tried Steel Beasts Pro Pe? If you are in the military you can get the professional version. You can play Steel Beasts as a super detailed tank sim or play from the map giving orders to maneuver units (like CM-2). Steel Beasts has the most powerful editor I've ever worked with. Steel Beasts while a 3-D military sim has more "game" elements than POA2.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for your response. Can I ask when the last time and version you played?
I just tried looking, but part of the refund was that I delete my copy so I don't have an install folder to check anymore.

I wasn't trying to bash the game.

What I don't like is when the few people who do play misrepresent what a patch does. I have seen that in several games. The game sucks at first and you go do something else waiting for patches. Some people keep with the game. For every patch that comes out they misrepresent the state of the new version one-sidedly pointing out the fixes and keeping completely quiet about the things that are still broken, not to mention new issues introduced with the code changes. This was pretty extreme for CMx2, too. All the pathing, spotting and cover issues that are still in there 6 years after were according to the forum posters fixed in every single patch from the first month on.

I don't care about the money, and even if I did it's gone anyway when I purchase the original game. But what I do care about is how these people waste my time. And it doesn't help that most wargames have very bad patching mechanism that waste even more time.

Really, nothing against Scott. He handles this fine as far as policies are concerned (refund etc), and how much time he invests in fixing is what it is. But some of the people who stay with those broken-on-release game lack background in gaming and can't put brokenness into perspective. And then they misrepresent the state of the game.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Redwolf:
I am saying that I have noticed the game no longer crashes often or has the C+++ errors of prior updates. Has 2.5 fixed everything - I don't know, nor do I care. The sim does what I want it to do. My only background in gaming is playing them for the last 50 years.

wrongbanana

Recruit
Reaction score
Redwolf: I hear your frustration and I can only imagine what it has been like to go through all of that and to feel that it was a complete waste of time. I suppose in a sense I am luckier to have found this game more recently because if I had bought it at the time of release I no doubt would have felt the exact same way. So sorry to hear about all that.

KEYSTONE: Thank you so much for the suggestion. Steel Beasts looks awesome! If I had the money to drop on it and possibly a better computer which hopefully will happen in the future I will definitely order it.

Do you have any other suggestions for good tactical sims?

And back to POA2 if I could, what are your thoughts on the scenarios that come with the game and is there any type of custom battle option and/or maps that are large enough that you can use different areas to get a different experience?

Thank you so much, KEYSTONE. And sorry again about your experience, Redwolf.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wrongbanana:
Although many have problems with certain aspects of the game, I've always enjoyed Battlefront's CMSF with the Marine, British, and Nato modules.

If you want to go back in time to WW2 for a good tactical game there are many to choose from. Squad level you have Battlefront's Combat Mission, Matrix Game's Panzer Command-Ost Front, and Graviteam's Achtung Panzer - Operation Star. For a company level sim you can't beat Matrix Game's Command Ops - BFTB.

Don't overlook some of the great squad level boardgames - GMT has come out with the updated Panzer system. Academy Game's Conflict of Heroes is available as both a boardgame and Matrix Games has a PC version. Of course there is always Advanced Squad Leader.

There are many to chose from.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The absence of uncaught C++ exceptions is just one step in a game that is actually working as advertised. The game can still do all kinds of nonsense without throwing exceptions. Most other games, even the really broken ones, never through exceptions out to the user in the first place. What use are they without a backtrace anyway?

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What use are they without a backtrace anyway?
I wouldn't know what to do with a backtrace if it hit me in the head! I'm sure you know what you're talking about. Me, I just play games.
It is a pity that POA2 had such a torturous development. I think it is now at the point that it can be played and enjoyed - how many care is another story.