What is the big deal here?

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Well, more than a decade in the States, still maybe many culture things I do not understand, please help me for this one:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040611/ap_en_tv/tv_kimmel_6

What is the big deal there anyway? To me, the joke wasn't even very funny ... let alone "offending".

DETROIT - Jimmy Kimmel's late-night talk show was pulled off the air for a night following a joke the comedian made about Detroit during the NBA Finals (news - web sites).

AP Photo

Kimmel was talking to ABC sportscaster Mike Tirico during halftime of Tuesday's game when he said, "They're going to burn the city of Detroit down if the Pistons win, and it's not worth it." Tirico, an Ann Arbor resident, immediately objected, telling him to be careful about making fun of Detroit.

ABC made the decision to pull Wednesday night's "Jimmy Kimmel Live" from affiliates nationwide shortly after the program was taped that night in California.

Grace Gilchrist, general manager of Detroit ABC affiliate WXYZ, said the taped show featured more disparaging remarks about the city.

"Frankly, we were shocked. We thought it was uncalled for," Andrea Parquet-Taylor, WXYZ's news director, said of Kimmel's remarks.

Kimmel issued a written statement to address his comments about Detroit, whose Pistons are playing the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Finals.

"What I said about Pistons fans during halftime was a joke, nothing more. If I offended anyone, I'm sorry," he said. "Clearly, over the past 10 years, we in L.A. have taken a commanding lead in post-game riots. If the Lakers win, I plan to overturn my own car."

ABC publicity manager Jennifer De La Rosa issued another apology from the comedian Thursday: "It was never my intention to cause anyone pain. I was trying to make a joke and I'm sorry it resulted in anything other than laughter."

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't get it (the being offended part of it that is)...

jthomas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can only think he's making a not too veiled reference to the Detroit riots back in the '60s. Burned a lot of the ghettos to the ground. Heavy racial connotations.
But I could be wrong....

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Isn't it pretty common these days for cities that win titles to start looting their own hometown? Seems like several cities have experienced this lately...although not sure if Detroit was one of them.

Reaction score
Originally posted by jthomas
I can only think he's making a not too veiled reference to the Detroit riots back in the '60s. Burned a lot of the ghettos to the ground. Heavy racial connotations.
But I could be wrong....
I think that has to be why it might be considered offensive, but there have been so many cities that have had massive post victory vandalism that I think that the network went overboard in their concern.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I mean they had riots in damn Connecticut after they won! Its not a racial thing, its just something stupid that everyone does now. I can see taking to the streets (I would if the Falcons ever won the Super Bowl!), but where does property destruction come into it? People just need to lighten up these days. I'd like to here some of these folks just say once "Did I offend you? Tough. Go cry to your mommy."

nreese21

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Yeah, I don't understand what is so offensive about his statement. I wouldn't have been offended by it if I lived in Detroit.

Skoal!
:toast:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Thanks a lot, gentlemen, I at least more or less get a better idea now ... (and I thought sport game rioting was a British patent... after your hints, I looked up on internet and found even in China, or more specific: my hometown, Wuhan, people had huge rioting after a CHINESE soccer game.. oh man, what was worth messing for that stinky stinky disgusting Chinese soccer team? ... jee... ) I feel sorry for both my ignorance and this world's craziness :p

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
I mean they had riots in damn Connecticut after they won! Its not a racial thing, its just something stupid that everyone does now. I can see taking to the streets (I would if the Falcons ever won the Super Bowl!), but where does property destruction come into it? People just need to lighten up these days. I'd like to here some of these folks just say once "Did I offend you? Tough. Go cry to your mommy."
I don't think anyone's saying the rioting from winning games is a racial thing. They're saying it might be considered offensive because of the serious race riots that occured in Detriot years and years ago.

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's sad is Detriot will be burning this weekend after they beat LA... maybe not the whole city ala Gone With the Wind Atlanta style... but car will be overturned and torched, windows will be smashed, and riot please will be used en force. And when the sun comes up the next morning, his comments will have simply been the story being reported before it happened.

RetPara

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well if Detroit burned it might be the best thing that happened to Michigan.

Up till the last few years there used to be a really bad arson outbreak in Detroit at Halloween every year. Around CoAmerica Park and Ford Field there are literly ACRES of empty and abandoned buildings.

While the violence quotent has decreased some... its still a hell of a long way being a lilly pond.

So you combine the holiday arson, high crime rate, what is called in Detroit, The Rebellion of 68 (?)... they're a little over sensitive. I remember some Army combat camera footage from when the 82nd came up to Detroit. Looked like a MOUT live fire, including tanks....