What is the ASL action like in your neck of the woods?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Here, near Geneva, there are some players.
One lives in France, just beyond the border.
He's an American and works for UNO in Geneva : he plays many wargames, and ASL well.
Another is in a village 3 miles from my town (Nyon). He is a musician in a Chamber Orchestra.
Another one lives in my town. He is begining ASL. He is captain on the Lake.
I introduced two new young players to ASLSK - one bought it.
Some gamers live in Lausanne (30 miles east from here).

This isn't really a "Community", as our time free is organized differentely one from another - I am a pastor, so my week-ends are not really "free" ;) - but at least, there is a way to find opponents over here.

Mark Warren

Reaction score
Country
ll
ASL in Bristol would be pretty good if I could be reliable with my time. I know of two other players in the area but I find it difficult to organise ftf play because I am on-call for my work so often these days :mad:

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
The ASL community around here is negligible. Me and my regular opponent Leslie.

Probably pretty much true of most of the UK - gamers over here seem to be very quiet online, with a few exceptions, so it's difficult to find anyone in the locale. For example, I live half an hour out of one of the biggest cities in the world, and I know of no one there that plays ASL. A few other gamers, but no ASLers.

If you want to play Warhammer or other minis, though, there seems to be a club every 5 miles or so.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nonexistent. And my computer won't run VASL for some reason. So I'm stuck playing solo, and that's why my tournament play sucks.

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
kdalton said:
Nonexistent. And my computer won't run VASL for some reason. So I'm stuck playing solo, and that's why my tournament play sucks.
Kieth,

Once that Master's Degree is finished make that trip to Cleveland. :D

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
This isn't really a "Community", as our time free is organized differentely one from another - I am a pastor, so my week-ends are not really "free" ;) - but at least, there is a way to find opponents over here.

I am always interested in what fellow ASLers do with their spare time away from ASL and the ASL world community has players of many different professions, but I think this is the first pastor I have come across. Very interesting (in a good way).

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Aries said:
If I had a car, I could likely get in a lot MORE in Toronto which is not really far enough to be to far.

But as far as the ole home town is concerned, I had a son for a reason hehe.

Damnit I will grow my own ASLers if I have to heheh.
Hi Aries,

If you are anywhere near Kitchener, ON, I wouldn't mind hooking up with you for a game.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Central Ohio has a lot of ASLers but they adamantly refuse to participate in group activity. Want to play a scenario? You'll have no problem finding an opponent. Want to hold a tournament or start an ASL club or anything like that? It's like herding cats.

However, Central Ohio is ideally located for easy participation in other ASL gaming groups, such as in Cinc/No. Ky, Detroit, and Cleveland. For those willing to travel a bit, there is ASL every day and twice on Sundays.

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New England/YASL

As for the New England region, there are a bunch of us around. The Yankee ASL group has a couple of set meeting times a month, supposed to be the first saturday and third sunday of each month. That schedule is tentative, with kids arriving plus my testing for my black belt this December. But we still keep at least one meeting a month active. That is for the Boston area. In western Mass., the Bunker is still running fine with more VotG ideas from the fiendish mind of Tom Morin. We had our annual get-together, the Bunker Bash, last weekend with I think 16 blokes. Connecticut has a number of active players, and Rhode Island contributes some too. I'm not sure about Maine, those guys have been quiet lately.

The local tournament, the Noreaster, held every March, has had very good turnout the last few years. I think we hit 50 participants two years ago, although last year was only in the 30s.

Sliding west a bit, the NY guys are sponsoring a tournament in early December in Albany. Should be interesting!

While we've lost some players to moving and life stuff, there is still a decent core of people willing to break out the cardboard. Some new players have joined in too. Now I just need to teach my daughter. She's interested in Risk, so one small step. By the way, reading the rulebook to a toddler doesn't work. I tried, and got tears every time the big binder got brought out...

PS: hey 'thebigbad', the Maus icon is great. Vic Provost's creation rocks!

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Columbus is only three hours from me, but for some reason I never seem to be able to get up that way. I hope to make Origins next year.

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Vancouver, BC.

Several players in the lower mainland. We were meeting once a month, but not enough showed up, so it's now ad-hoc.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tork said:
PS: hey 'thebigbad', the Maus icon is great. Vic Provost's creation rocks!
Hey, Thanks.

Actually got it from Craigs ASL Detritus. I asked him for permission to use his turret counter art, which I will use occasionally, but copied the Maus too. Figured it was no harm since I ain't using it for profit, but asked him for permission anyway.

Fits the spot nice.

kdalton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm pursuing a Masters in Journalism with a public relations emphasis from Marshall University, one of only 105 accredited j-programs in the country. Absolutely a first class program.

Ohio State fans may have a passing familiarity with our football team. :cheeky:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
kdalton said:
I'm pursuing a Masters in Journalism with a public relations emphasis from Marshall University, one of only 105 accredited j-programs in the country. Absolutely a first class program.

Ohio State fans may have a passing familiarity with our football team. :cheeky:
A PR?...Soooo that's what your helping with your friend's public office campaign
A little foot in the door maneuver...Sun Tzu at his finest ;)

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
There's even a real-life piccy of Keith there for anyone who is interested in seeing the man behind the avatar! ;)

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
kdalton said:
LOL. Actually, I am already employed in the industry. I work for a firm in Charleston, WV, the Manahan Group.

www.themanahangroup.com
Very interesting site, end to end PR and Marketing looks like a facinating field compared to my work in Engineering IT. By the way your Avatar does look a little like you ;)

Keith's the MAN, to keep our hobby alive!

cheers!

Last edited: