What is involved in running a VASL tournament?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In a couple other threads I've been advocating people running their own VASL tournament or event. I know what is involved in running a ftf event but what are the ins and outs of doing it online?

Thanks for any input.

Still think the more events the better especially in these times. It's pretty crappy for ftf but the opportunity is there to bring the ASL community together through VASL.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Seriously, I can lend you a tournament guide off line.
Thanks! I was thinking of information that those people who I am encouraging to run a VASL event could use. Perhaps if someone does try to run an event they could contact you.

I'm thinking about a Calvinball ASL variant VASL tournament. Should be easy.???

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I converted the ASL OPEN to an online event this year. The same details that went into the ftf OPEN transferred simply to an eASL tournament, but I made one major change. Instead of running a continuos weekend tournament, I made each round one week. So the six round OPEN took 6 weeks to run. The format seemed to please all who participated, and it is easier for the TD to administer. I had only three players drop out because of unexpected work/family issues, but that is not unusual, even in a ftf tournament.

Making slight adjustments to the tournament rules to change them from ftf to eASL was fairly simple.

If anyone would like a set of the ASL OPEN tournament rules, private email me:

frango1000@sbcglobal.net

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I converted the ASL OPEN to an online event this year. The same details that went into the ftf OPEN transferred simply to an eASL tournament, but I made one major change. Instead of running a continuos weekend tournament, I made each round one week. So the six round OPEN took 6 weeks to run. The format seemed to please all who participated, and it is easier for the TD to administer. I had only three players drop out because of unexpected work/family issues, but that is not unusual, even in a ftf tournament.

Making slight adjustments to the tournament rules to change them from ftf to eASL was fairly simple.

If anyone would like a set of the ASL OPEN tournament rules, private email me:

frango1000@sbcglobal.net
Thanks!! That is some great information. I had thought that one of the major advantages of an online tournament is that there are no time restrictions. Nobody has to catch a flight at noon on Sunday. Thanks again!??

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Did you read Carl's post about his VASL Nor'easter tournament?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Thanks for showing this. I may be indulging in a little whimsy with the Calvinball tournament but I am serious about encouraging people to host an online event. The benefits to the community are enormous from people just attempting it. As I said these are not the best of times but there is still opportunity to come together and enjoy all ASL has to offer.

While Calvinball ASL may be a fantasy just wait for the ASL Regatta!!

No matter what you do have fun with the game and let your imagination wander. It really is a remarkable system. Explore it's potential.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Spreading out an online tournament time-wise appears to be a good idea.

I think that playing a game via VASL takes somehow a bit longer than FtF, so this could make a normal tournament schedule more than tight.

Furthermore it offers some respite in case of network issues. Although VASL works just fine most of the time, over the years I have encountered numerous situations in which one or both opponents could not connect to the VASL server or continuously lost connection. Sometimes connection issues were not related to the VASL server but had other reasons. Still, this could break up the schedule of an online tournament that is set in the same time frame of a FtF tournament. Adverse effects might pile up, because when one game can't be finished in time, you will have difficulties in determining the pairings for the next round. Since you can't wait, the players affected without bearing responsibility for the connection issues might get frustrated.

I would believe that maintaining an overview of what's going on for the TD is more difficult for an online tournament. You simply don't have that 'quick glance' on the game which exists in a FtF tournament walking along the gaming tables. Communication with the players is more difficult or cumbersome.

The time difference kicking in based upon the location of the players might also become an issue as someone upthread has already mentioned (apparently by his personal experience). This might be eased by spreading out the time table.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

I did check out his post and thought it was excellent! Thanks again for pointing it out. ?