What Historical Military Leader Are You Most Like?

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Wolfe Tone
Wesley Clarke....the shame of it!

I wanted to be like U.S. Grant.
Better to be a Sherman:D,though both had an understanding of what it meant to wage total war before that term was even known in modern times.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Originally posted by John Paul

Better to be a Sherman:D,though both had an understanding of what it meant to wage total war before that term was even known in modern times.
Yes Sherman was very good too, but Grant was a humble man who mixed common sense with grit and determination to win his campaigns. He wasn't cut out to be President though, didn't have the guile to succeed there.

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Wolfe Tone

Yes Sherman was very good too, but Grant was a humble man who mixed common sense with grit and determination to win his campaigns. He wasn't cut out to be President though, didn't have the guile to succeed there.
yes and his answer to the problem was one that WWI generals would have understood.I have more..many more young men to lose than you.and even if i have to lose ten men for every three that you do,i will eventually win.

I have developed a huge respect for Sherman over the last several years after learning more about the man.His views on warfare and the role of popular media in war were dead on.Though to gain a further understanding of the man and his complicated character you would have to read deeply about his role in the Indian wars and his thoughts on them.A very complicated and under appreciated man who should be ranked up there with Wellington in the pantheon of military leaders.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
It's true that Grant was prepered to fight the bloody battles of 1864 to break the Confederate Armies. Bur he also employed maneuver as part of his plan to bring the Union soldiers to the environs of Richmond. Once the city fell it was all over for the CSA.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I got Wesley Clarke and it doesn't bother me.

Let's look at some famous names first.

Rommel, lucky for him the Brits took their troops to that lost cause in Greece. Otherwise his brash style might have made him a short blurb about a success in France, and then how he was capture in North Africa from going to far.

Monty, hmmm he seems famous. But his Alamein was achived on the backs of several previous generals that were sacked thanks to being unable to pull rabbits out of hats.
Then he went on to be second best in Sicily, and second best at Normandy, and then he made a mess with Market Garden (A bridge to far is appropriately named).

Patton, hmm if he had not slapped a soldier he would likely have been stuck in Italy (and been a nobody likely). But nope he chose poor judgment and was put in the doghouse. He then chose poor judgment thinking reporters don't report. Got put in an English doghouse that time.
The man though, actually wanted to hit the Pas de Calais. That would have been a real disaster.

Fame is not picky, it just picks names out of thin air.

I will go on record as saying anyone of you guys here could have run the Gulf war as well as Stormin Norman, yet he got famous over it.

I liked Wesley's credits personally.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice thread necromancy, Bob

I got Robert E Lee - which is pretty cool since he is a personal hero. I answered 2,2,2, and 1 to get there.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm the father of our country, George Washington, the good George W. .

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Re: Strange.....

Vlad Tepes anyone?