What HASL's Have you Played or will Play in 2018?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

Being a HASL fan I have played some fantastic HASL's this year. I also might be starting up with my FtF buddy a Red Army CG from KGS but if certain playtest opportunities present themselves from LFT on a certain French 1940 HASL, we might jump on that. So far this year, I have play Red Barricades CG III, CH Iwo Jima Campaign, KGS Red Army CG and Hatten. So far all four of those campaigns were Awesome to ok. Red Barricades is always fun as usual by the 16th or 17th day you want to stick a fork in your eye. The Iwo Jima Campaign was super fun and caves are super easy to learn and NOBA aint as bad as I thought it might be. One day I would love to revisit the Iwo Jima CG and give it a go as the Jarheads. KGS's Red Army CG is another super fantastic CG experience, as with RB and Iwo Jima, there is some stuff that you will need to grok but it is all very logical in most cases. The Hatten CG was ok, but one I probably could wait on playing again for sometime. Hatten just had way too much Armor for my tastes and had a very basic ASL feel to it. Still, I will concede that it was nice to play an American vs German CG that did not involve the SS. Over all, this has been a great year thus far for me in playing some really nifty HASL's, from The factories of Stalingrad, to the Sands of Iwo Jima, then on to the snow covered village of Cholm to the streets of Hatten. Hopefully next year, I'll get to play a Desert CG, A French 1940 CG and maybe more Cholm.

Scott

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
My own home made Black Barricades - Berlin CG set on the RB map.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
None, or maybe Hatten. -- jim
I'm in the same boat. Even with a room to leave a CG set up, it is still too difficult to get into larger campaigns if we haven't played in a few weeks. Hatten CG looks to be just the right size-I may give it a try next year.

MatrimSaric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm hoping for hatten then one of the Stalingrad ones. My issue with campaigns tends to be commitment. I did start a RB campaign on pbem and it started fine at 3-4 logs a week. As the first day got close to the end it became apparent that the German player was a little too keen for the knockout blow and though he was still smashing the defences he would be in troubke the following day (no Infantry purchased and the Russian casualties were actually more than covered by the Russian 1st day reserve purchases so the Germans would have to spend all their purchases on infantry just to stay level).

Anyway, perhaps due to this the logs started dragging to around one a week and playing a RB campaign at one log a week is a waste of time as it would take decades to complete.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I am really surprised that a big eastfront fan like yourself Tate has not played KGS. Or you have played it and I missed that memo lol.

Scott
Tate only buys and plays official.....

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My brother and I are nearing the end of our KGP. We played the first CG scenario of Hatten at ASLOK and will continue with it.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tate only buys and plays official.....
Not entirely true...

I have purchased (very, VERY selectively) a couple of third part products in the last year or so. None of them were HASL/CG type products.

But as stated before, with limited funds to allocate to ASL I prefer to spend on "official" products in order to stay within cannon relative to ASL collection. I am sure there are some really great 3P products but I have to draw the line somewhere and I have decided to err on the side of "official" products.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Very likely none.

One day I would like to play a HASL and have cached them for the purpose. But not enough time now for the commitment.

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Same here. I'd love to play some HASL, but have too few FtF opportunities. I was planning to give one of the Lone Canuck HASLs a go at a meeting in a few weeks, but even that has been canceled.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
FtF? I bought a 50” TV as a third monitor so I can more easily handle big maps on VASL. I can’t imagine keeping a HASL set up FtF at all.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Are you limiting the question to CG or is it open to HASL scenarios.
The latter I have and will play.
The former less probably. Hatten perhaps?

FrankJ

Cap'n Crud
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like to play the following:

Hatten
RB CG IV: Bled White
VotG CG 1 - The Central Railway Station
Smallest Red October CG

Tycho

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KGP II (won when my opponent rolled the earliest possible scenario end on the last date. One more movement phase and he had it all wrapped up)
KGP I (ongoing. Looks like the Green Wave is going to easily drown my MiB)

We'll probably play KGP III next. Might as well do them all right?

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For the first time in 25 years, I am starting a RB CG next week - I am the attackers in CGII, Operation Hubertus. I am very confident that I will play it far closer to the actual rules than I did back then. I think 2019 may just see a Hatten CG, and possibly some scenarios building up to a KGS CG.

But I should probably play FB and KGP at some point, and VoTG, and then RO, and then there's PB, and I could do worse than to learn seaborne and caves by playing GT, and Primosole Bridge looks fun based on the Banzai! AAR, and then I've always wanted to play PHD, and...

Hopefully they don't release Slaughter at Ponyri or Dinant (or Ortona, or Manila, or Normandy, or anytime soon. I'll have to buy them else they'll be out of print, but...

Last edited: