What happened to that hour?

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Lounging about on the place on this lazy Sunday wondering where that missing hour went...

I have been working on several projects and here is an update on their various states of readiness.

The Steelworks (July-August 1944): located southeast of Caen, the smoke stacks of the Société Métallurgique de Normandie factory dominated the surrounding area. General Montgomery, commanding the 21st Army Group, then ordered the destruction of the factory chimneys, used by German artillery observers: this operation was called Operation STACK (85% complete);

Breaking Heartstrings: covering the capture of Parry Island, located in the southern part of the Eniwetok Atoll, of the Marshall Islands, by the United States Marine Corps (USMC) on 22-23 February 1944 (75% Complete);

Hell at Dom Butgenbach (19-22 December 1944): depicts the efforts of the Americans soldiers of the 1st Infantry Division “The Big Red One” to hold back the Germans spearhead of the 12.SS-Panzerdivision “Hitlerjugend” during the Battle of the Bulge (30% Complete);

Blitzkrieg in the West - Central Campaign: The second instalment in the series of the Germans' May 1940 lightning attacks westwards into the Low Countries (70% Complete);

Battle of Lake Khasan (29 July - 11 August 1938): The Lake Khasan battles arose from a disagreement over the demarcation of the boundary between the Soviet Union and Japanese-controlled Manchuria near the Korean border (10% Complete);

Operation Martlet - Objective Barracuda: the 49th (West Riding) Infantry Division’s attack upon the Norman village of Fortney-le-Pesnel, France, on 25 June 1944, defended by units of Panzer Division Lehr and the 12th SS- Panzer Division "Hitlerjugend" (90% Complete);

Sacrifice & Courage (24-26 January 1944): a Tactical Mission pack depicting the American 34th “Red Bull” Division’s 2½ day bid to secure a crossing of the Rapido River. Any forces crossing the Rapido in this sector would need to capture the barracks in order to open up the road to Cassino (70% Complete);

Brandenburgers - Hitler's Special Forces: a scenario pack revolving around the German Special Forces unit known as the Brandenburgers: These men were highly skilled in stealth, subterfuge, and possessed excellent local knowledge and language skills. Using these skills they were able to penetrate deep into enemy territory to carry out sabotage, seize objectives, and prepare the way for the advancing German panzer spearheads (10% Complete);

Elst, XXX-Corps' Highwater Mark: a Tactical Mission pertaining to the British 214th Infantry Brigade’s attack upon the Dutch village of Elst, on 23-25 September 1944 (50% Complete); and

Grossdeutschland Pack 3 - High Tide at Kursk: the third pack in the series, picks up GD participating in Unternehmen Zitadelle (Operation Citadel), the massive German summer offensive at Kursk (11 scenarios, 3 inter-connected mini-campaigns) (60% Complete).

I have several proofreaders coming on board to help out, but the primary driving factor is PLAYTESTING, PLAYTESTING, & PLAYTESTING.

Cheers and enjoy

George

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Steel Panthers. The underlying mechanisms used ASL To Hit/To Kill - at least the very first version did.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Steel Panthers. The underlying mechanisms used ASL To Hit/To Kill - at least the very first version did.
The phase system was different from ASL.

You can add Close Combat and Combat Mission to the list of projects that started as "computer ASL" but compare to a straight port like Lock'n'Load Stalingrad. You could actually learn to play the LnL boardgame better by playing the PC version. Incredibly faithful. Nothing like that exists for ASL. And that includes Steel Tigers

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
These seem like wishes
  • MMP, Electronic ASL Rulebook
  • MMP, Chapter E Pack
  • MMP, Pocket Size Chapter H
So is everything else on the list until they manifest themselves on our desks. I record them when I see credible designers/ publishers mentioning them in public social media ie not "I wish ..." not playtests

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Steel Tigers is not yet play testing, it’s still in design and no one has even seen it yet except Gary, Joel and Keith.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The phase system was different from ASL.

You can add Close Combat and Combat Mission to the list of projects that started as "computer ASL" but compare to a straight port like Lock'n'Load Stalingrad. You could actually learn to play the LnL boardgame better by playing the PC version. Incredibly faithful. Nothing like that exists for ASL. And that includes Steel Tigers
I remember when Close Combat was first proposed and many of us were extremely excited about it. Then it was decided to it would be done in realtime instead of turn-based I was incredibly disappointed.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Steel Tigers is not yet play testing, it’s still in design and no one has even seen it yet except Gary, Joel and Keith.
I must have mixed it up with Tigers on the Hunt, unless one is simply an upgrade of the other. Still not ASL.

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Actually, George, I was asking on your Juno beach module, to try to get back to the updates...
Yours question was fine, it was the previous posts that Hijacked the thread... sorry you got swept up in the disappointment.

Juno Beach is still there, I think the big the 4 map scenario and the two x 2 map games are ready or as ready as it can be; but the small 4x 1 map single beach scenarios are still not fully tested. I may put on ASL for Fun I will have to see.

Last edited:

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
Looking forward to Brandenburgers, Grossdeutschland and Dom Butgenbach, George!
Any plans for a Balkan/partisan module?

fleitz3

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yours question was fine, it was the previous posts that Hijacked the thread... sorry you got swept up in the disappointment.

Juno Beach is still there, I think the big the 4 map scenario and the two x 2 map games are ready or as ready as it can be; but the small 4x 1 map single beach scenarios are still not fully tested. I may put on ASL for Fun I will have to see.
Wow, putting that one on up on ASL for fun would be incredible, but since I have access to a large-format plotter (and a boss who's a gamer, and doesn't mind my occasional plotting stuff for fun either) I'm in a fairly rare position. In short, I'd be happy to see the Juno module either way. Please publish in whatever way makes best business sense for you, George. You're too valuable a publisher, thanks for doing things right!

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Wow, putting that one on up on ASL for fun would be incredible, but since I have access to a large-format plotter (and a boss who's a gamer, and doesn't mind my occasional plotting stuff for fun either) I'm in a fairly rare position. In short, I'd be happy to see the Juno module either way. Please publish in whatever way makes best business sense for you, George. You're too valuable a publisher, thanks for doing things right!

While this project wouldn't a problem on VASL, in reality, the counters are the issue. Wire, Minefields, Landing Craft, Trenches, Pillboxes, and British Infantry counters and AFVs (there are lots of specialized funnies).

Below are a sample of the counters for Juno Beach

12370 12371

12372 12373