What games are you looking for?

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What games are you currently looking for? Do you have a game that if you saw it you what sell the farm to get?

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is no game I can't live without. In fact, I probably have 20 or so I've never even cracked open other than to see if all the pieces looked like they were there and it came with instructions.

ericmwalters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Games I'd Sell the Farm To Get

GDW's TORGAU

GDW's AVALANCHE: THE SALERNO LANDINGS

S&T version of FRANCE: 1940 (I've got the mag, but lost the game)

SPI's WAR IN THE EAST, 1st Edition.

SPI's WAR IN EUROPE WORLD WAR ONE MODULE

SPI's WAR BETWEEN THE STATES

--emw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm kind of an anti-collector. Over the years I've bought probably a few hundred wargames, but there are only two on my shelf right now--and I'd be happy to get rid of those. I can't stand having things around that I don't use and probably will never use.

So, the only game I'm looking for is the mystery game I described in another thread: A fun, fascinating wargame that's as quick to set up and play as chess or bridge, and just as challenging and fluid as chess or bridge, but is not abstract like chess & bridge. Not only must it not be abstract, it must actually be rich in realistic detail--the kind of stuff that really grabs the imagination and makes the game educational as well as entertaining.

I guess the last time I played a game something like this ideal game, it was SL/ASL. The big rulebook didn't faze me at all; I loved it. However, I found myself coming back to the first scenario ("The Guards Counterattack") all the time, or playing the Paratrooper scenarios or "Escape from Velikye Luki." As long as the scenario was tiny (i.e., played on a small map section or having very few units), I liked it. But I lost interest every time I played a "normal-sized" scenario, and I had to force myself to play bigger scenarios.

So, besides being an anti-collector, I guess I'm also an anti-monstergamer. Years ago, I bought SPI's "Next War"--but gave up on it almost immediately. Also bought AH's "The Longest Day." Played the smallest scenario once, set up the full-sized game once--and then let the game gather dust till I sold it.

That's the long and the short of it: I'm looking for a wargame that's got few units and is played on a very small map, yet has a rulebook the size of the King James Bible.* And of course it has to be a great, fun game.

*No, it doesn't really have to have a big rulebook. But it has to be as richly detailed and involved as games that do have big rulebooks.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm in trouble as

GDW's AVALANCHE: THE SALERNO LANDINGS

is a game I'm looking for also ... guess we will be driving the prices up on that one ...

also

SPI's THE RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One game I would love to get my hands on is the old Avalon Hill version of Civilization and it's expansion pack. Although Eagle Games has done a board game variant of the computer version (which I do have), from what I can tell it isn't nearly as good as the Avalon Hill version. Curses to Hasbro! They bought the rights to one of the greatest gaming companies and only reproduce a select few of their games! All of the famous "Bookcase Games" are rotting on the shelves!:bang:

Now I've gone and lost my temper.

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Consequently with Hasbro buying Avalon Hill it has caused all those great bookshelf games to be sold on eBay to the highest bidder with a sellers market. I never got my hands on a copy of Civilization from Avalon Hill but I agree that it is better than the one from Eagle Games!

MCranmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd love to find a copy of the old Avalon Hill Afrika Corps (I'm partial to WWII desert warfare) and a copy of Team Yankee (can't remember who published it) based on Harold Coyle's first book.

ericmwalters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GDW's Team Yankee

Game Designer's Workshop (GDW) did Team Yankee. It was pretty faithful to the book...which was the major problem of the game.

The system was good--and created a host of spinoff titles using further developments/refinements.

The problem was that the tactical actions--while great in the book--didn't translate well into board wargame format. At least not for this subject. Most of the die-hard wargamers who had been playing Cold War Gone Hot tactical simulations found this to be a bit of a yawner.

But the system was good enough to keep people interested in it--and follow-on games (SANDS OF WAR, TEST OF ARMS, etc).

--emw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by pirateship1982
One game I would love to get my hands on is the old Avalon Hill version of Civilization and it's expansion pack. . . . Curses to Hasbro! They bought the rights to one of the greatest gaming companies and only reproduce a select few of their games! All of the famous "Bookcase Games" are rotting on the shelves!
Speaking of rotting on the shelves, frankly that's what my games are doing. While you're sitting there wishing for AH's Civilization, I've got a copy (with expansions) just gathering dust. But no, I'm not ready to sell it; there's an outside chance I'll play it again someday--even though I haven't played it in five years or so (and before that, there was probably another five-year gap).

Anyhow, games gather dust on buyers' shelves too--probably a lot more often than they ever get played. Think of all the games given as gifts to people who didn't want them--or who did want them but never found anybody else who wanted to play.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by MCranmer
I'd love to find a copy of the old Avalon Hill Afrika Corps (I'm partial to WWII desert warfare) and a copy of Team Yankee (can't remember who published it) based on Harold Coyle's first book.
I would love to get my hands on Afrika Corps too......

BigMik1

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
I just told the folks at Games Plus in Mt. Prospect, IL to set aside my copy of Baron's War.

MMP's 3 Battles of Bull Run is being collated on Monday (8/2) and I have an order through Homergames. I also am waiting for issue #31 of Gettysburg Magazine. (All things Gettysburg - all the time.)