What ever happen to: Operation Sealion

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
I know that Ian Daglish was working on this before his untimely passing. I was wondering if it was ever submitted to any publisher.

Yes, it is a "what if" for ASL, which usually does not follow that route. But could it be published in Ian's memory?

Last edited:

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
More what ifs the better really. Feel free to be poetic with a glorious last stand at Senlac “””hill””” and all that.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
I know that Ian Daglish was working on this before his untimely passing. I was wondering if it was ever submitted to any publisher.

Yes, it is a "what if" for ASL, which usually does not follow that route. But could it be published in Ian's memory?
I would love to redo Ian's work. I have three of his sea Lion scenarios

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Last I heard was that he was going to submit them to MMP. I have a list of the (6-8) scenarios at home, I will post later tonight.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I would love to redo Ian's work. I have three of his sea Lion scenarios
Last I heard was that he was going to submit them to MMP. I have a list of the (6-8) scenarios at home, I will post later tonight.
Are they playtested? Or at an earlier stage of development? Are new counters needed?

Asking for a friend. ;)

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HYPO 2019/1
Welcome to Downton
July, 1940

Prelude: What if German paratroopers invaded Britain after the fall of France? Could they have stumbled upon Downtown Abbey? Would it have been viewed as a local tactical objective?

Board 6, hex row A is the north edge
Six turns
VC: The side that controls more hexes of building N4 at game end wins.

Order of Battle:
German, elements of the 1st Fallschirmjäger Regiment, 7th Air Division, ELR 5, SAN 2, enter anywhere along the south edge on turn 1.

1 x 8-1
5 x 5-4-8
1 x ATR
1 x LMG
1 x DC

British, ELR 2, SAN 5 (local game warden), set up as indicated.

Lords, Ladies, and Household Staff, set up anywhere within two hexes of N4.

1 x 1-3-8 wounded hero, Lady Grantham
1 x 4-3-6 household staff

Bampton Village Home Guard, set up anywhere on or north of row X.

1 x Armored Car Rolls Royce
1 x 8-0
2 x 4-4-7
1 x Roadblock

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Forces landed in the window available would need to be carefully considered. All scenario design from there would be based around the troops and weapons available to the Germans from there.

Barring American intervention early I don’t see it as a typically no-quarter affair. I see the hardest fights actually being for airfields. Improvised and hasty in the early British counterattacks, but more permanent ones as they are defeated and pushed back. Also possible is a two-pronged attack. One probably in northern England and the other being on a south coast or something.

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Read Invasion by Kenneth Macksey (1990) for good fiction on the battles.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I prefer to the poetic kinds of names rather than “millenial no write cursive” or silly moralistic television programming references. There are thousands to pick from. Also seeing as how this is hypothetical and the selected battle sites don’t have to align even with your own past strategic games, it makes sense to have a Battle of Senlac Hill that you can call “The Fyrd Redeemed” where homeguard units repulse the initial assault or something like that.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Funnily enough Pete Phillips , John Martin and myself were talking about this pack yesterday afternoon , Pete is pretty sure it had been handed to MMP prior to Ian’s untimely death . But that’s alll that we could add, after his death I got a lot of his stuff to add to my collection but there was nothing about sea lion in it. Trev Edwards was instrumental in dealing with all Ian’s ASL stuff.

Hutch

Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
I had a list of all the"Sealion" scenarios done by Ian, but it has disappeared. I did find the three from ASL News though.

Nemesis NEWS58 ASL NEWS #29
Call them Ironsides NEWS60 ASL NEWS #30
Their Darkest Hour NEWS67 ASL NEWS #31

Last edited:

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I prefer to the poetic kinds of names rather than “millenial no write cursive” or silly moralistic television programming references. There are thousands to pick from. Also seeing as how this is hypothetical and the selected battle sites don’t have to align even with your own past strategic games, it makes sense to have a Battle of Senlac Hill that you can call “The Fyrd Redeemed” where homeguard units repulse the initial assault or something like that.
Buzzkill

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my archives I've got a Castle overlay for Ian, apparently for the castle at Bodiam. Cannot for the life of me remember the context, though.