What do you think of the new EVE forums?

What do you think of the new forums?

• I like it

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I hate it

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • About the same as the old forum

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The new forum is more advanced and has a lot of features that the old one lacked. However, I find the new one difficult to read for a number of reasons. For starters, I really miss the ability to change the font size to something bigger. Second, there isn't enough contrast as the links are the same color as the standard text. Third, some like fixed width forums and some prefer dynamic width, and personally I wish there was an option to make the forums liquid (full width).

All of these points have been made over and over by a huge number of people ever since the beta was launched half a year ago, but CCP refuses to provide those options (which were standard on the old forums).

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do they have a real usercp to keep track of threads? I'm not registered so I don't know.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Do they have a real usercp to keep track of threads? I'm not registered so I don't know.
You can mark threads as favorites to keep track of them, which helps. And the whole forum system is integrated into EVEgate, so you have access to your in-game email, character stats, contact lists, corporation announcements, etc.

It's not as powerful in some ways as vBulletin is, but it's not terrible. I just don't like the style very much (and I'm not one of those guys opposed to change).

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So it doesn't have a list of links to the end of the subscribed threads where you left off like the vbulletin usercp has?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
No, it just tags the thread as a favorite and adds it to your favorite list.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How is anybody supposed to quickly see follow ups to their own posts then?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
How is anybody supposed to quickly see follow ups to their own posts then?
There is a feature when you can view a list of your own recent posts, but it's not geared toward quickly seeing follow ups to your posts. As I said, it's not as powerful as vBulletin.

Speaking of vBulletin, has anyone been following the legal dispute between Internet Brands (vBulletin) and XenForo? For those those that don't already know, some of the original vBulletin developers left the company some time ago when it was purchased by Internet Brands in order to start their own company with a new forum product. A lot of people like XenForo, even though it lacks some of the extras, like user blogs, which vB already has. Internet Brands is suing XenForo saying they stole some of their core ideas. Not sure where this is all going to end.

http://xenforo.com/