What do you think about the JAG serie

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Since 2 years now in France each sunday afternoon we have JAG, what do you think about it ??

For me as French I like it. Well made, nice pictures of US army.
Good actors, especialy the Marines Colonel :love:

Der WanderAtorney

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
JAG is complete garbage from start to finish. I don't mind shows that depict the problems within the military or the mistakes we have made, but this show is complete fantasy. The stuff that happens in this show and how the characters handle it is so unbelievable I simply can't stand to watch it.

All the officers and NCOs are completely unproffessional glory hounds who shamelessly break military regulations, sleep with subordinates, take drugs, etc, etc. This isn't just a distorted view of the military, it isn't a view of the military at all! This is how Big Hollywood wishes the military was and how they preceive it to be. It's pure entertainment -- and not very good -- and has nothing whatsoever to do with what life is actually like in the service.

The truth of the matter is that life in the US military is fairly dull most of the time. Lots of repetitive training and dealing with the same recurring problems over and over again. Even the things that look "exciting" are in point of fact anything but most of the time. Even a single jump out of an aircraft takes weeks of planning, meetings, paperwork, and repetitive training. Before the actual jump occurs there are hours and hours of preparation that turn into a mind numbing task. By the time the actual jump comes around it's usually a challenge just to stay awake and perform every task to standard.

That's the reality of military life. Even in Iraq where there is lots of action there is also a lot more mundane work that is done by ordinary soldiers on a daily basis. JAG attempts to center on one or two "glamorous" events and then blows them completely out of proportion. That may be fine entertainment, but I hope no one is relying on these type of TV shows for information on what it's really like.

As far as the acting goes in JAG, real soldiers and marines don't act like that. These people are playing caricatures of sterotypes that hardly ever exist. JAG is a soap opra.

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
well, I agree with Don though I do not have any knowledge of real military ... the general feeling of JAG for me is that it sux :D ... But why did I watch it the first place? ... hehe.. the girls were pretty ... and I had a weird taste of watching cutties in uniform :p :devil:
(secretly I figure that is one of the selling point of JAG .. )

screamer

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Oh yesss, cutties in uniform :cheeky: .........apart frrom that never watched it, it aint that good on tv here anymore talking about series [apart from blackadder, dad's army and so froth]

and i always thought the flight scenes suck :devious:

Last edited:

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
screamer said:
Oh yesss, cutties in uniform :cheeky: .........apart frrom that never watched it, it aint that good on tv here anymore talking about series [apart from blackadder, dad's army and so froth]

Ah!!! BlackAdder with Rowan Atkinson, a pure marvel but it must be heard in english with subtitle in your local language (for not english),to fully take the pleasure of this series.

Did you seen it in USA ??

Concerning JAG I'm must a bloody stupid short minded TV WATCHER, for me it was a series glorifying the different Agencies of US ARMY. Where US army hold tight to face 09/11 (no criticism from my side here, please I'm not opening war), an how all people are concerned in fighting the terrorism.

I'm probably a too much credulous spectator may be.

Der Wanderer

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
screamer said:

Ah!!! BlackAdder with Rowan Atkinson, a pure marvel but it must be heard in english with subtitle in your local language (for not english),to fully take the pleasure of this series.

Concerning JAG I'm must a bloody stupid short minded TV WATCHER, for me it was a series glorifying the different Agencies of US ARMY. Where US army hold tight to face 09/11 (no criticism from my side here, please I'm not opening war), an how all people are concerned in fighting the terrorism.

Der Wanderer

Chuck?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jlbetin said:
Yes, you make a good point. Obviously it wouldn't be much of a show if they just displayed people pushing pencils every episode.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey--Jag is a TV series. It does not represent miliatary life and the military justice system any less accurately than Perry Mason and all its successor legal dramas have done with regard to the US civilian justice system. However, the script writers this year have hit a low point. Currently the show is little more than a bad soap opera with no plot direction, strained character "development" and less than entertaining stories.

One last point. The writers should never have Harm say the word "dollar", as they had him do in an episode in which he was a civil defendant in lawsuit filed by guest star "lawyer" Gavin (Love Boat) McCloud. The Canadian star of Jag simply cannot say that word like "a real 'Merican."

Last edited:

screamer

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
jlbetin said:

Der Wanderer

Everythingt is subtitled here.
Only kiddie films have dutch voice overs. :p :p :cheeky: :devil:

Thats why i hate watching movies on german tv, i understad it good enough but i just cant stand hearing clint eastwood talking german.
And i never notice the subtitles anyway.

Reaction score
I think I'd have a tough time with a German speaking Eastwood too........Somehow "make my day" loses something in the translation.

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What Don said. And, I can tell you, after 14 years in the Army, I never once saw anyone in uniform who looks as good as Catherine Bell, which shows just how much fantasy is involved with the show.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Chuck said:
Yes, you make a good point. Obviously it wouldn't be much of a show if they just displayed people pushing pencils every episode.
Every episode should have about 9 guys getting a power of attorney, and one guy wanting advice on selling his 1982 rusted BMW, followed by a half dozen guys getting counseling for Article 15s/Captains masts. :laugh:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Don's viewpoint is of course on target.

But here is the reality.

You have a choice of these shows, which will you watch.

Jag

Reality TV show of losers on an island/jungle/desert pretending to rough it.

CSI

The Price is Right

Discovery

Barney

Andromeda

MXC (originally called Takeshi's Castle)

Cops

Judge Judy

Cartoon Network

The Lost World

Jepardy

Home Improvement type show

In the end, Jag is just Jag.
Only a completely gilluble person will think it is anything more than a Tom Clancy novel with moving pictures.
It fills a niche, a style of program, not much else.

Anyone here actually use TV for factual knowledge?
I prefer a well stocked library for my place of learning

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Aries said:
Don's viewpoint is of course on target.

But here is the reality.

<snipped>

Home Improvement type show

In the end, Jag is just Jag.
Only a completely gilluble person will think it is anything more than a Tom Clancy novel with moving pictures.
It fills a niche, a style of program, not much else.

Anyone here actually use TV for factual knowledge?
I prefer a well stocked library for my place of learning
If by Home Improvement you mean Tim Allen's show, that's it. If you mean some guy rebuilding some rich guy's basement, I'll quit watching TV again.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sadly I meant some doofus redoing another doofuss's home.

Wife insists on watching that mind numbing crud.