What do you think about the JAG serie

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think Aries forgot Sponge Bob (not that that would change anything mind you)... :D

I guess Cops would be it... unless they start doing crossover shows like Queer Eye for the Desk Sargent Guy -- then maybe not...

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
JAG is complete garbage from start to finish. I don't mind shows that depict the problems within the military or the mistakes we have made, but this show is complete fantasy. The stuff that happens in this show and how the characters handle it is so unbelievable I simply can't stand to watch it.

All the officers and NCOs are completely unproffessional glory hounds who shamelessly break military regulations, sleep with subordinates, take drugs, etc, etc. This isn't just a distorted view of the military, it isn't a view of the military at all! This is how Big Hollywood wishes the military was and how they preceive it to be. It's pure entertainment -- and not very good -- and has nothing whatsoever to do with what life is actually like in the service.

The truth of the matter is that life in the US military is fairly dull most of the time. Lots of repetitive training and dealing with the same recurring problems over and over again. Even the things that look "exciting" are in point of fact anything but most of the time. Even a single jump out of an aircraft takes weeks of planning, meetings, paperwork, and repetitive training. Before the actual jump occurs there are hours and hours of preparation that turn into a mind numbing task. By the time the actual jump comes around it's usually a challenge just to stay awake and perform every task to standard.

That's the reality of military life. Even in Iraq where there is lots of action there is also a lot more mundane work that is done by ordinary soldiers on a daily basis. JAG attempts to center on one or two "glamorous" events and then blows them completely out of proportion. That may be fine entertainment, but I hope no one is relying on these type of TV shows for information on what it's really like.

As far as the acting goes in JAG, real soldiers and marines don't act like that. These people are playing caricatures of sterotypes that hardly ever exist. JAG is a soap opra.
Well, though I agree with how JAG portrays the things you mentioned, it would be foolhearty to suggest that there are NO gloryhounds amongst officers and NCO's in ALL of the services, that supervisors DON'T sleep with subordinates, that soldiers, airmen, sailors, and marines DON'T do drugs, and that everything is hunky-dory across the board! I've seen NUMEROUS instances of just these things, maybe more so because I worked in the USDB here for 3 years, but you get my point. JAG is a fictional series about military personnel who get into trouble and the resulting legal procedures, so one should EXPECT to see the worst that man can be. I like the show because it is entertainment, and it never professes to be anything other than just that. I've never heard it referred to a "reality show",...only storylines "ripped from the headlines", which is actually true. It is written to entertain. Any person who confuses JAG with the real world is likely to have 3 original teeth and a VERY close relationship with a brother or sister! ;)

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
trauth116 said:
I think Aries forgot Sponge Bob (not that that would change anything mind you)... :D

I guess Cops would be it... unless they start doing crossover shows like Queer Eye for the Desk Sargent Guy -- then maybe not...
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

SPONG BOB SQUARE PANTS!

This show is never missed at my house. My son knows the song by heart.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Cartoon Network was my defacto acknowledgement of cartoons in general though.

I could have said Anime Network, but that is not atypical enough.

That darned Sponge Bob is addictive though. My son has several dvds of the show now, and I actually don't mind it being on.
That and that silly show Fairly Odd Parents is annoyingly watchable.

It's the humour, the gag lines and the timing I guess. It's nothing visually, its the the audible humour. It's not what is said though, it's all in the timing.

Some people are funny, and some people can't be funny even if a pro writes their jokes.

But, the ever present stench of "Reality" anything keeps me from voluntarily turning on the TV. It's safer to download shows I like and watch them knowing I can watch them as much as I want, with no danger something horrible will even sneak in during a commercial.

JSMoss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only seen it a few times but would have to agree with Don that even allowing for the fact that cop shows by nature focus on the seamy side this show is a total trashing of the military. Watched it once with my Dad on some episode based on a ship, he was so discusted he turned it off half way through. He had the unusual experience of having a ship command at every rank from Ensign to Captain. As he said nothing in the show bore any resemblance to reality from the architecture of the ship to the conduct of the supporting personnel, never mind the principal that you expect to be wackco. As he said, any ship that operated that way would have the CO relieved and disciplined.

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Today I saw Sunday's Jag on channel 2, the US navy's secretary going on trial in Den Haag International Tribunal about a village bombing made by US Army in Irak.

Whoooo, unbelievable, the characters, argues etc... were just caricatures.

To see lawyers on CIA planes, ok it is entertainement.
To see lawyers fighting terrorist in south america, ok it is entertainement.

But to see an US member of governement accepting to go at the Intenational Tribunal of Den Haag, it is science fiction, utopia:cheeky:
For me here JAG just cross a border between entertainement and non educated mass propaganda. Something like the good NKVD Komissar saving the USSR from the evil capitalist.

I prefer my tonight NEW YORK 911, poor DOC he tried to kill his captain. But Faith return on Duty with Bosco. That the US series I like along with E.R.

Der WanderDisapointed

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I enjoy watching the show. I don't see much of a problem with it. Sure, its not acurate, but hey, police work isn't like Law and Order and I still like that show. So let's just lighten up a bit, shall we?

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
GeorgiaDixie said:
Personally, I enjoy watching the show. I don't see much of a problem with it. Sure, its not acurate, but hey, police work isn't like Law and Order and I still like that show. So let's just lighten up a bit, shall we?
If I want to watch a show make fun of the military, I'll watch McHale's Navy, F Troop, or Hogan's Heroes. I don't watch JAG, and I don't watch M*A*S*H.