What do you think about ebay?

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fraud occurs seldom on e-bay, in comparison to the total number of sales. I myself have purchased hundreds and hundreds of things on e-bay, and only been defrauded once.

I don't think "helping out newbies" and "selling something on e-bay to make a profit" are mutually incompatible goals, as some here do. I'm not saying that everybody who sells stuff on e-bay is doing it out of the goodness of their heard, but I think many people who sell ASL stuff on e-bay, especially those who are selling extra copies of stuff rather than getting out of the hobby altogether, are hoping it will go to a good home and that the buyer will get fun out of it.

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of Fraud.

IF your referring to not being upfront with explanations, including images that clearly show what the item looks like, then the answer from my viewpoint is:

I've seen a few auctions that just didn't make sense, and upon emailing the seller, I've discovered they are mis-representing the item, OR in some cases with multiple auctions - they inadvertantly list the details for the wrong item.

I'd highly recommend emailing them and trying to clarify the item - be it with more pics, adding more details to the information section, or simply asking for details that you are curious about.

Maybe its just me, but I try to email them even if my interest isn't that high, simply so they know that their auction needs some clarification or more images to represent the item properly.

Those that answer with more information and images etc.- and AFTER checking out their feedback rating to ensure they are a quality Ebayer will more than likely garner more attention from me on their auctions, and thus be more successful.

I have one Seller I've dealt with 12 times, because his items are mint, they are exactly as advertised, and he includes many images to explain visually what it looks like/or is supposed to be. His shipping is fast, and most importantly, he communicates with me constantly. I.E.

Telling me when the payment has arrived, telling me when it was shipped out - and in some cases including pertinent tracking information.

As well, I'm a major communications type of guy, emailing at conclusion, emailing when payment is mailed out, and emailing at end of transaction to inform them I left feedback.

Call it covering bases, etc. 8)

On the opposite end, I've seen perhaps 30 items that were just hideous misrepresentation of the item, and I've emailed Ebay to inform them of the problem. (in all cases, the items were either removed, or updated to properly represent themselves).

In a few as well, I've actually seen people selling copyrighted material - from cds containing freely downloadable golf courses
from the internet for large sums of cash. Others have even tried selling burned cds of music and the like. In those cases, I contact ebay asap and let them deal with the people.

Now, as it refers to price, as I mentioned above, IF I do research and discover an item is completly overpriced I also tend to email and include a few completed auctions and politely tell them that they might want to consider dropping the price into a more realistic realm.

I've encountered perhaps 50 items I was interested in that - after doing research - were overpriced and when I sent an email with information, in return I've recived only 2 negative (both were mind your own business type) comments.

A few have contacted me and said thank you for the info, and one even said, I'm pulling the auction and will relist ASAP - and she did.

So, in conclusion, fraud does exist, but if you safeguard yourself, contact the seller when needed, check their feedback to see how solid a person they are and communicate with them, I think you can avoid most fraudulent situations.

Now after all of that, I'm sure you would have preffered a simply " Fraud does exist comment" (given I tend to write too much ..lol ) but in this case I think a longer explanation was warranted.

Cheers,

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi

Just to let people know, I have no problems with my tranactions on eBay. You take chance and roll the dice. If you come out on top cool, if not, well crap happens and deal with it. Personally, I'm glad that set went to Dave G. he deserves it and won it fair and square. a nice guy too. I also did not want to respond to the above posts, but I figured, I better say something before it gets out of hand.

As for fraud, you bet it's out there, lousy descriptions of products, I remember one goofball selling a point du hoc gamers guide and within the description, he's saying it comes with maps and scenarios. Like a moron I baught it and guess what? it was CRAP! no maps, no scenarios and when I asked for my money back, I was told to get screwed.
Lesson learned, ask questions and avoid buying ASL stuff from people who do not know what they are selling.

Scott

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
DLYoung70 your asking price of 975 is by no means "unfair".

If I went to a car dealership and cried the blues about being unable to afford even his lowest priced model, I wouldn't expect him to start sobbing in sympathy and just give me a 2 year old car for the price of a 200 dollar junk heap on the basis "I needed it".

Everyone of you prices was entirely generous. It just happens that a complete set of ASL in decent condition is a damn expensive undertaking no matter how you slice it eh.

There's generous, and then there is dumb.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If tomorrow I had a choice of pay the rent for one month and sell my ASL, or keep my ASL and no rent for a month, yeah I would keep the ASL.

Because there is either a next month, or I won't be around.

Fortunately I have alot of friends with homes I could secure items in if life wanted to be that crummy to me.

It will be a cold day in hell before I sell my ASL collection just because I need a few bucks.

paulkenny

Reaction score
Hey Im building a new house and I sold a bunch of my ASL stuff to finance it. made a nice penny that will translate to a jacuzzi in the master bath, thanks allyou ASL buyers out htere!!

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There has to be something wrong with that, please god let me find out there was something wrong with that :)

Countertroll

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If that was not a typo, then I am going to have to recant my earlier comments and post the BV2 on eBay.
Even I can use 8000 DPI.

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Holy Crap Batman.....I wonder if this guy wants to buy a whole collection? I'll give him a deal at $50,000......... :nuts:

graydo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Loquitor said:
Look at the bid history it goes from 60 to 4500 in one large Jump...........
Also look at the bidders feedback, almost no feedback on the primary bidders after 30 pounds. Makes it look like stooge bids...

dave

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was wondering if maybe one of the bidders put a high bid in to keep snipers away and then the second guy did the same thing never thinking that the bid would go anywhere near the max.....I just wonder how fast the person took the bid back.

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Explain that one to the wife............ummmm dear it looks like I just spent the mortgage payment for the next six months on a game....but It was an ASL BV game....punched......

My D I V O R C E became final on Ebay

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
OK,

you capitalists are right!

If I can get 8 grand for my BV (not even V2), I'm selling it, the hell with helping newbies :D

Peace

Roger

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Geez, you'd think for 4600 GBP you'd at least get UNPUNCHED counters! Some people!

I pray this is a typo!

mkirschenbaum

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's an excerpt from an article in the current issue of the Chronicle of Higher Education that might put ASL expenditures into perspective:

"It was probably predictable that I would acquire, once my professional interests turned to American literature, the entire Library of America.

"You've probably seen those books and their glossy black jackets with a red, white, and blue stripe. Beneath the jackets, the books are tastefully covered in woven rayon with Smyth-sewn bindings, acid-free paper, and a nice ribbon book marker. According to the Library of America Web site, the size of each book is "based on the 'golden section,' which the ancient Greeks considered to be the ideal proportion." The set includes authoritative collections of the writings of major American figures such as Franklin, Hawthorne, Melville, and Twain, as well as many 20th-century writers.

"The Library of America now has about 150 volumes, each of them retailing for about $35 to $40, although they can be obtained at a 20 percent discount from online booksellers. That means I've spent at least $4,000 on the set so far, and five or more new volumes come out every year."

Whether or not this writer plays ASL (I doubt it) he would understand perfectly why one would spend $150 for a "magazine." Nicholas Basbane, the author of a famous book about book collecting, called it A Gentle Madness.

paulkenny

Reaction score
Loquitor said:
Explain that one to the wife............ummmm dear it looks like I just spent the mortgage payment for the next six months on a game....but It was an ASL BV game....punched......

My D I V O R C E became final on Ebay
Unpunched I could understand but punched!!!

I wonder if you can ebay divorce lawyer services?