What do you know about Italian Battleships Of WW1 ?

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
Oooh. Nice. And the pre-dreadnoughts please! The Roma/Napoli class was a very handsome design and the Regina Elenas... They had some nice looking cruisers too.

madaz

Recruit
Reaction score
yes indeed ! love the scalloping on the Regina Elenas

if anyone knows of a source , other thtn all the grainy low rez photos ive already gleened off google ,please let me know >

VaDingo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Outstanding job on the ships. Sorry, I don't know diddly about the Italian Navy.... :smoke:

grayst

Reaction score
Country
ll
Nice models. However there is just something that screams "WRONG!" about a ship with its midships turret facing forward. Dunno why.

VaDingo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Grayst, I noticed that too.... Like you, it just looks odd and sorta out of kilter.... :smoke:

madaz

Recruit
Reaction score
well , gee every picture of these ships I found has that turret facing foward . just googel Couvour class ww1 orDoria class ww1 and see what you find . these are Italian ships Not the British .

VaDingo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Odd, that was the first thought I had; "Ah Well, they are Italian Ships." :clown:

grayst

Reaction score
Country
ll
well , gee every picture of these ships I found has that turret facing foward . just googel Couvour class ww1 orDoria class ww1 and see what you find . these are Italian ships Not the British .
Apologies, sir. No criticism intended of your models - they are accurate, the Italians did have a forward-facing midships turret. It just looks wrong to me - probably because I've been conditioned by all the British, German and US designs with aft-facing turrets.

The Russian ships are a real psychological test, with their two midships turrets.

Gangut - forward turret faces aft, aft turret faces forward: OK, ish

Imperatritsa Mariya - both turrets face forward: Wrong!

Borodino - both turrets face aft: Right!

Then there's Fuso / Yamashiro, both before and after their rebuilds, to really confuse things. Although with 6 turrets carried at 4 different deck levels, it almost doesn't matter which way they faced, the thing was pig-ugly anyway.