What Do You Drive?

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's pretty country up there. Isn't that part of Colorado the part that C.W. McCall wrote all those songs about (including one about a CJ5)?

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Marines
Did the car save your life?
No, nothing that exciting. It saved from a lot of pain and injury though. Luckily speeds were low -- I was making a left turn with the right of way, and some Gastarbeiter Turk decided he had been at his stop sign long enough and pulled into me, dragging the corner of his bumper the whole length of the drivers side of my car as we ground past each other.

JS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by Brian King
One of my favorite hobbies is taking my Jeeps into the mountains...so naturally I thought I'd share them here! Not too good in town though...and gas is killing me these days. Luckily we also have a small econo-box to go with them. Truth be told, I'd rather ride my bike than any of them!
Do Jeeps have a herd instinct? :laugh:

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Viper 10
I'm not taking a shot at you. Remember that we all started with something smaller and more practical. Back in the old days, I started with a '68 Ford Falcon with a 289 V-8, moved up to a Datsun 510, and then a Datsun 240Z (which was the first cool car that I had). After the Z I went through Audi's, a BMW Turbo Alpina, a Corvette and then the Snake. Most of these cars spent time on road racing tracks racing or just for fun.

Are you planning to do any performance tuning to your Jetta? Try not to be car poor by pouring all of your money into it.

Later,

Brad
I've always preferred the "Q-Ship" route, The preverbial wolf in sheeps clothing. I had a 1984 Dodge Omni GLH back in day with the high compression Shelby engine....... The Jetta is really just a grown up version of that car with the creature comforts refined about 300%. I've considered cold air induction, more for the exhaust note than the minor increase in horsepower. As I said no tickets so far, so I'm not really looking to make it any more noticable. Also my wife doesn't have a performance bone in her body, so when she's in the car the 6 speed becomes a 3 speed. Even driving that way the engine is so torquey it still is pretty quick.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janos
I used to drive a 320i. A wonderful car and I loved it...until the SUV had a "meeting engagement" with the entire drivers side.

JS
They are nice cars....I watch them in my rearview mirror all of the time.

flatfoot2

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right on Viper10, there aren't any new improvments to the Crown Vics. One of the only improvements is the lights. My department just got 2004's , and because the cars are new they seem a little faster , but that will change after the cars get beat up a little. The chases we have are usually short.(big city chases dont last long unless the "perps" jump on I-95 ) But we got to be thankful because we get new cars every four years.

Richa333

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Subaru Outback ?!

[New guy here]

Currently drives: Green Subaru Outback '89 ... oh, the shame of it all! Good for hauling my three teenage daughters around (shudder: need a stun gun), cardboard for recycle, etc.

Want to drive: Mazda Miata removable hardtop 5-speed deep blue, oh yeah baby!!! Don't care if it isn't the swiftest car on the block...drove hundreds of them as a stevedore on the Tacoma docks and fell in love with 'em! Oh yeah...drool drool

Marines

Reaction score
Janos's and my car is no M3 or M5 but I saw a 2003 330i!!! get hit by a brand new Tahoe going at least 50+ MPH. Needless to say the BMW driver walked away with cuts and scrapes while the family in the Tahoe had to be taken away in careflight. You may beat me in a race but at least ill live to talk about my defeat, hell my car doors weigh more than most pickup truck doors.

FYI Go to the BMW website and check out the hundreds of thousands of letters thanking BMW for saving thier lives and the lives of thier families...Chevy and Ford sure as hell don't have that.

Semper Fi

Reaction score
Re: Flashing headlights!!!!

Originally posted by Janos
If it was mine, I hope you pulled over so I could pass. I hate to wait.

JS
I'd happily play "follow the leader" if any BMW drivers around here wanted to drive their cars the way they were designed for, but unfortunately I don't seem to come across any BMW drivers with lead feet. Every now and then an Audi A4 and this morning a Mazda 6, but No Bimmers.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Marines
Janos's and my car is no M3 or M5 but I saw a 2003 330i!!! get hit by a brand new Tahoe going at least 50+ MPH. Needless to say the BMW driver walked away with cuts and scrapes while the family in the Tahoe had to be taken away in careflight. You may beat me in a race but at least ill live to talk about my defeat, hell my car doors weigh more than most pickup truck doors.

FYI Go to the BMW website and check out the hundreds of thousands of letters thanking BMW for saving thier lives and the lives of thier families...Chevy and Ford sure as hell don't have that.

Semper Fi
Its not just BMW's, ALL German cars (even the ones assembled in Mexico) are built like tanks. Survivability was one of the reasons I bought the Jetta.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Flashing headlights!!!!

Originally posted by Lance Williams
I'd happily play "follow the leader" if any BMW drivers around here wanted to drive their cars the way they were designed for, but unfortunately I don't seem to come across any BMW drivers with lead feet. Every now and then an Audi A4 and this morning a Mazda 6, but No Bimmers.
You can't really do that in the US can you? I drove mine on the Autobahn -- the road it was designed for. I drove from Heidelberg to Munich in 2.5 hours (roughly) seldom going under 160k/100mph. It was a great ride! Later took "Heidi" (the car) to Switzerland in about the same space of time, but a more leisurely 130k/85mph. She was great on the mountain roads when I got there, too.

JS