What Do You Drive?

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Viper 10
Now I bet that this has some impressive torque... I thought that those topped out at over 60 mph?
Roger...it says 42 is the "governed" speed. It'll do better.

Does anyone else remember the old M114 Cavalry vehicle? I had those in my platoon 6jillion years ago, and them puppies could haul butt in the desert at Fort Bliss!

JS

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Drive 1997 Ford Thunderbird. Dream CAR Ford Crown Victoria with police engine, suspension, cooling, transmission and electrical package. Dream Vehicle is

Cheers!
:toast:

:armed:

Reaction score
I drive a 2003 VW Jetta GLI with close to 21,000 miles on it. If your not up on VW's there's no outward clue of what it really is other than the 17 inch alloy wheels with Michelin Pilot Sports. No spoiler, no stripes to attract attention, not even a V6 badge. Plus it has the ultimate stealth feature, handicap plates (because of my wife). Its my Q-ship.

It has a 2.8 liter, 24 valve, 200 horse power 15 degree V6 with a 6 speed manual transmission. What a jewel of an engine, with its variable valve timing it pulls without a fuss from 600 rpm to the 7000 rpm fuel cut off. I've been driving stick shifts my whole life and this transmission is right out of F1. Top claimed speed is 146 mph, but the most I've seen is about 120 mph. It definately has an autobahn heritage.

Most of my driving is on the highway and it is an incredible combination of performance and civility, with decent (23-24 mpg) gas mileage. It has a nice, thick, three spoke sport steering wheel and great sport seats that are comfortable, but lock you in place with excellent bolsters. Plus its got a big trunk and in a pinch can still seat five.

Its also built like a tank. Its the most solid vehicle I've ever owned. Plus it has all of the safety features; six airbags, ABS brakes, Electronic Stability Protection (which you turn OFF to really have fun).

I regularly "stalk" Audis, BMW's, Mercedes and any other pretentious make that comes my way. Admittedly surprise may factor into things, but the only car that really put me in my place was a 405 horsepower special edition Corvette.

So far no tickets, but it is a daily struggle to keep it under 100 mph.

Viper 10

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Lance Williams
Admittedly surprise may factor into things, but the only car that really put me in my place was a 405 horsepower special edition Corvette.

So far no tickets, but it is a daily struggle to keep it under 100 mph.
Then you obviously haven't driven a Viper. My unmodified Snake has 450RWHP (which equates to well over 500 hp at the crank) and 490 ft-lbs of RWTQ. I also get 24 mpg on the highway when I put the car in 6th gear (I call it my tree hugger gear).

A C5 Z06 is a puppy compared to the Snake. Unlike the Viper, it has tons of bells & whistles to save the driver from killing themselves.

Richard, from what I understand from my law enforcement friends (in 4 different departments), there were no marketable police improvements to the engines and suspensions to the Crown Vic's. The only real improvements were cooling and electrical (to accomodate the computers and the Christmas lights). Is itit different for the year that you have. It's pretty sad when the words "Police Interceptor" don't mean much in the performance game and catching bad guys...

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am driven around in the Sinistermobile - details of which are classified, except that it is black, with a black stripe.

Sorry, that wasn't very informative was it...?

Dr. S.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Viper 10
Then you obviously haven't driven a Viper. My unmodified Snake has 450RWHP (which equates to well over 500 hp at the crank) and 490 ft-lbs of RWTQ. I also get 24 mpg on the highway when I put the car in 6th gear (I call it my tree hugger gear).

A C5 Z06 is a puppy compared to the Snake. Unlike the Viper, it has tons of bells & whistles to save the driver from killing themselves.

Richard, from what I understand from my law enforcement friends (in 4 different departments), there were no marketable police improvements to the engines and suspensions to the Crown Vic's. The only real improvements were cooling and electrical (to accomodate the computers and the Christmas lights). Is itit different for the year that you have. It's pretty sad when the words "Police Interceptor" don't mean much in the performance game and catching bad guys...
I never meant to compare it to any of those two seat sports cars. The Viper is definately the modern incarnation of the original Shelby Cobra......But then I only paid $22,800 for my Jetta and since its the only car I own its versatility and comfort are as important as its performance.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So here's the rundown of all the primary vehicles so far:

3 Cars
2 Pick-Up Trucks
1 SUV
1 Sport Car
1 Motorcycle
1 Classified-mobile
1 Tank (I'm a little suspicious of that one. Does your tank have a license plate?) ;)

I was bored so I just thought I'd do this

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well I drive a 1999 Hyundai Accent, don't laugh, it's paid for!!
I'd love a Hummer, but for some reason, payments of $1,000 a month just scare me a little bit!! :D

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
So here's the rundown of all the primary vehicles so far:

1 Tank (I'm a little suspicious of that one. Does your tank have a license plate?) ;)

The Police really don't ask about that. They more or less leave me alone.:D Naw add a Jeep Wrangler, Sahara Edition and a Jeep Cherokee Limited. (Dad and Mom's respectively)

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just fly low in my forest green Mitsubishi 3000GT... though later this summer (barring any other major expenses), it will be re-painted to a two-tone low-vis grey... which of course will make it very high vis... oh well... now if I could just get ahold of some RAM paint...:whistle:

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had back in high school a 67 Mustang GT 500 with a 409 bored out to a 427. It was my dream car. Dag gum drunk had to go and ruin it for me. Rear ended me into the freeway wall.

Richard, my dad drives a Crown Vic for work every night with him being a cop for the City Of Houston. He says the day they stop riding in them is the day he will quit. Theyve had him drive Tahoes, Camaroes, and Jeep Cherokees. He loves his Crown Vic.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
I had back in high school a 67 Mustang GT 500 with a 409 bored out to a 427. It was my dream car. Dag gum drunk had to go and ruin it for me. Rear ended me into the freeway wall.

Richard, my dad drives a Crown Vic for work every night with him being a cop for the City Of Houston. He says the day they stop riding in them is the day he will quit. Theyve had him drive Tahoes, Camaroes, and Jeep Cherokees. He loves his Crown Vic.
Tell your Dad that I'm with him as far as Crown Vics are concerned!! :thumb:

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by dannybou
Well I drive a 1999 Hyundai Accent, don't laugh, it's paid for!!
I'd love a Hummer, but for some reason, payments of $1,000 a month just scare me a little bit!! :D
Do you have one of those plug-in thingees so it doesn't freeze solid at night and will start easily in the morning?

JS

HOOP102

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I drive a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4x4, reg cab, short box, 4.7L V8, lots of giddy up and go. All that is missing is a box mounted 50cal and a snorkel kit.:thumb:

Viper 10

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Lance Williams
I never meant to compare it to any of those two seat sports cars. The Viper is definately the modern incarnation of the original Shelby Cobra......But then I only paid $22,800 for my Jetta and since its the only car I own its versatility and comfort are as important as its performance.
I'm not taking a shot at you. Remember that we all started with something smaller and more practical. Back in the old days, I started with a '68 Ford Falcon with a 289 V-8, moved up to a Datsun 510, and then a Datsun 240Z (which was the first cool car that I had). After the Z I went through Audi's, a BMW Turbo Alpina, a Corvette and then the Snake. Most of these cars spent time on road racing tracks racing or just for fun.

Are you planning to do any performance tuning to your Jetta? Try not to be car poor by pouring all of your money into it.

Later,

Brad

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by Janos
Do you have one of those plug-in thingees so it doesn't freeze solid at night and will start easily in the morning?

JS
Negative Sir! It starts everytime on it's own power.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of my favorite hobbies is taking my Jeeps into the mountains...so naturally I thought I'd share them here! Not too good in town though...and gas is killing me these days. Luckily we also have a small econo-box to go with them. Truth be told, I'd rather ride my bike than any of them!