What do you Dread the most when playing ASL? (Game Play)

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What I dread most in a game of ASL is finding out after multiple hours of effort, engagement and concentration that the scenario is pretty much broken in some way.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You gotta stop playing your own scenarios and that sort of stuff wont happen lol.

What I dread most in a game of ASL is finding out after multiple hours of effort, engagement and concentration that the scenario is pretty much broken in some way.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, it happened again...played HF1 Saturday. Germans big weapon is a *75 infantry gun. Second roll boxcar (at least it was the second roll). First repair attempt...6!!!

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It is ASL after all. Anything that's not a "when will my copy of Hatten be get here?" is probably a whine, and that's a whine too.

JR
It is really interesting how many players love to claim that a scenario was ruined when they X-ed out one important weapon, Fate or a Sniper killed their best leader, or their OBA did not work.

Yet those same scenarios can be won without all those assets.

Being able to suck it up and keep playing your best game is an evident quality in all the best ASL players. None of them start whining because their AT gun X-ed out.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Being able to suck it up and keep playing your best game is an evident quality in all the best ASL players. None of them start whining because their AT gun X-ed out.
That's because they don't know how to play right. I've asked Bret Hildebran if the ASLOK hotel will let us have a room so we can help these poor guys out with a remedial ASL whining class. I know we can help them if we try; I have to believe they aren't beyond hope.

JR

Last edited:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is really interesting how many players love to claim that a scenario was ruined when they X-ed out one important weapon, Fate or a Sniper killed their best leader, or their OBA did not work.

Please review my comment...point out to me when I state that the "scenario was ruined".

I won the scenario...

My comment was specific to this thread about the things we dread in ASL...I had earlier posted that I dread the first roll for the big-ticket weapon in a scenario. I've won many scenarios after gacking the big-ticket weapon(s). Doesn't change the fact that I always dread that first roll.

Here is a thought...how about pulling your head out-your-a$$ and pay attention to context and actual comments.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That's because they don't know how to play right. I've asked Bret Hildebran if the ASLOK hotel will let us have a room so we can help these poor guys out with a remedial ASL whining class. I know we can help them if we try; I have to believe they aren't beyond hope.

JR
Excellent idea.

The day starts with one hour of yoga, followed by an hour of meditation, then we round if off with one hour of ASL remedials.

Then "they" all have an hour of free time, during which they could have some breakfast or coffee.

All in time for the 0800 start of the Minis.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Please review my comment...point out to me when I state that the "scenario was ruined".

I won the scenario...

My comment was specific to this thread about the things we dread in ASL...I had earlier posted that I dread the first roll for the big-ticket weapon in a scenario. I've won many scenarios after gacking the big-ticket weapon(s). Doesn't change the fact that I always dread that first roll.

Here is a thought...how about pulling your head out-your-a$$ and pay attention to context and actual comments.
Now you are whining even more.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

Sure, if your opponent plays badly or somehow manages to lose or improperly employ a portion of his scenario proportionate to the loss. You need some good fortune to overcome the bad fortune. But if the scenario can stand the loss of that piece of the OB and still be competitive (all other things being equal), then I humbly suggest the scenario wasn't that balanced to begin with. JMO. YMMV. -- jim

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You need some good fortune to overcome the bad fortune.
In my experience that is what usually happens...for example, after I lost the infantry Gun I subsequently got a couple of low odds hits with Fausts (one a snakes from an SMC who managed to get a faust). The poor SMC had opted to take the backblast and took a K/1...fortunately he was just wounded.

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Well, it happened again...played HF1 Saturday. Germans big weapon is a *75 infantry gun. Second roll boxcar (at least it was the second roll). First repair attempt...6!!!
I feel for you Mate! - I am there every game multiple times

Rob:)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The man just added that he toasted an enemy AFV with an SMC firing a PF !!!

I feel for his opponent!
Both players have been given great opportunities to whine. I feel sorry for their gaming buddies:

"So in the very next rally phase I roll a six for recovery..."

"But then in for prep fire your eight-oh finds the 'faust and fries my tank anyway, and then he yadda yadda ya"

JR

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You have not heard whining until you have played dave deresinki lol.

Both players have been given great opportunities to whine. I feel sorry for their gaming buddies:

"So in the very next rally phase I roll a six for recovery..."

"But then in for prep fire your eight-oh finds the 'faust and fries my tank anyway, and then he yadda yadda ya"

JR